Sign in with
Your question

4000+ or Opteron 165

Last response: in Overclocking
January 28, 2007 7:10:57 PM

I am looking to build a new PC for my son. HE is 5 and will be getting a hand me down DFI Lanpart cfx3200-dr, Google it!!!! Along with 1 gig Corsair XMS3200 CL2 Ram, WIndows XP pro. HE likes to play games Like Blue's Clue's and Star Wars Lego II and some tonka truck Game.(He is only 5 years old) Keeping in mind what he does on it which would you recomend. HE will not be upgrading to Vista in the near future. I will over click the machine just to do it for my knowledge and the MB should overclock liek crazy depedning on the CPU chosen.

Question 1:
Athlon 4000+ $80 OEM + Artic Freezer Pro 64 $30 or
Opteron 165 with stock HSF $153

Question 2:
Case Options Please Advise....
Need 120's 1 in front one in rear Top and Side optional in it No PSU needed HE will Get a Ernemax 500W Modular PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1681...
I was looking at the above case and like the design now it doesnt have the 120's i was looking for but i like the apperance of it. Reveiws are mixed but most of them are unless you get into some high $ casesd which I am not trying to do. HE does prefer Blue over Green but I have a Green Cold Cathod light he liked and I was going to put it in the case for him. your thoughts / suggestions please

Question 3:
Video Card: I am Taking his old machine with a 3500+ and a ATI 1300 PRo and turning it into a media machine with MCE. I will put an older x800xt AIW in it. LEaves me a x1300 pro to sell. I was lookign at putting him a 1650Pro in his new machine.
Cost is a Factor here. Reading the forums here I see in the under $100 it will fit the bill what do you guys think?
I have a 1 Gig stick of Ram that will go into his old Machine to make the Media Machine
Question4:
HDD I was looking at the SATA 250GB Seagate 7200.10 OEM from the Egg for $80 What ya think or I can go with the SATA WD 160GB @ $55 or so.
Last Question: I am looking for a new Monitor for myself and I want a 23" widescreen, looking at the 24's and the price doubles. Who should I go with. Doesnt Samsung Make Dell's Monitors? What about the apple one? I would like to keep it under $400 and I have to wait till i get my next bonus at work for this purchase.

I am looking to keep cost @ around $400 or less.
I need a Case, HDD, Video CArd, and CPU.
Thanks for your input...

More about : 4000 opteron 165

January 28, 2007 7:27:36 PM

Quote:
I am looking to build a new PC for my son. HE is 5 and will be getting a hand me down DFI Lanpart cfx3200-dr, Google it!!!! Along with 1 gig Corsair XMS3200 CL2 Ram, WIndows XP pro. HE likes to play games Like Blue's Clue's and Star Wars Lego II and some tonka truck Game.(He is only 5 years old) Keeping in mind what he does on it which would you recomend. HE will not be upgrading to Vista in the near future. I will over click the machine just to do it for my knowledge and the MB should overclock liek crazy depedning on the CPU chosen.

Question 1:
Athlon 4000+ $80 OEM + Artic Freezer Pro 64 $30 or
Opteron 165 with stock HSF $153

Question 2:
Case Options Please Advise....
Need 120's 1 in front one in rear Top and Side optional in it No PSU needed HE will Get a Ernemax 500W Modular PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E1681...
I was looking at the above case and like the design now it doesnt have the 120's i was looking for but i like the apperance of it. Reveiws are mixed but most of them are unless you get into some high $ casesd which I am not trying to do. HE does prefer Blue over Green but I have a Green Cold Cathod light he liked and I was going to put it in the case for him. your thoughts / suggestions please

Question 3:
Video Card: I am Taking his old machine with a 3500+ and a ATI 1300 PRo and turning it into a media machine with MCE. I will put an older x800xt AIW in it. LEaves me a x1300 pro to sell. I was lookign at putting him a 1650Pro in his new machine.
Cost is a Factor here. Reading the forums here I see in the under $100 it will fit the bill what do you guys think?
I have a 1 Gig stick of Ram that will go into his old Machine to make the Media Machine
Question4:
HDD I was looking at the SATA 250GB Seagate 7200.10 OEM from the Egg for $80 What ya think or I can go with the SATA WD 160GB @ $55 or so.
Last Question: I am looking for a new Monitor for myself and I want a 23" widescreen, looking at the 24's and the price doubles. Who should I go with. Doesnt Samsung Make Dell's Monitors? What about the apple one? I would like to keep it under $400 and I have to wait till i get my next bonus at work for this purchase.

I am looking to keep cost @ around $400 or less.
I need a Case, HDD, Video CArd, and CPU.
Thanks for your input...

qustion1 go for the 4000
qusetion3 go for a 7600gt, they can be found for under 100$ after m.i.r.

as for the hdd,s the 160gig should work fine.
January 28, 2007 7:48:08 PM

Quote:
I go with the opty hands down, the opty's oc to 3ghz on air easy, and the 165 is dual core, so I don't see any reason not to get it

case: antec 900
and the x1650pro is a fine card

yeah but if he goes for the opty it is around 50$ more.
and he may not get a good oc out of it.

the 4000 is singlecore but still worth it for 80$
its basically an fx proccesor.

and for gaming the 4000 will beat the opty
if both are stock.

the opty is 1.8 stock i believe, so it would have to be oc,ed to
2.4 to match the stock 4000.
Related resources
January 28, 2007 8:00:36 PM

yes the dualcore opty is better suited for the future.

the op said (cheap) so i just figured.
January 28, 2007 8:16:30 PM

HE is only 5 he is not playing any hardcore games as of now. By the time his Hand Eye Cordination is high enough I think he will have my current machine. Another problem I seem to come across is the very little info on the opty and the MB.

I would like the Antec 900 but cost is a factor wife is limiting the money I spend and she wont be happy I am spending any so I must keep it as low as possible.
If i go with the 4000 then i can go with the higher end case but lesser video card also. I can get both the 7600 or the x1650pro around the same price on the egg.
January 28, 2007 8:21:04 PM

save some money and go with the 4000.

i have the 3700 and a dualcore x24400.
both computers have the same videocard.

i play most of the newer games and see no difference
between the cpu,s

absolutly none.

bf2, fear, call of duty2, oblivion, f.s.x.

they play the same on both computers.
January 28, 2007 8:42:06 PM

Quote:
Get the 4000 then, that should be more than enough, and your son should consider himself lucky to get a computer for himself at that age, I didn't get a nice computer until I was 12, and the 4000 cpu beats my old athlon 3000. But I suggest getting a lighted case at the least, even a cheapo aspire case, I know that I really liked neon lights when I first built my computer
He has had is own PC since he was 3 LOL he just didnt do a whole lot with it.
Ok ill go with the 4000+ then!!!

Ill try an over clock it and post results. I will have to get the articcooling 64 pro since its a OEM chip.

Now for video card. It has to be PCI express so liek i said earlier I was looking at the 1650pro because this is a ATI chipset board that runs both pci slots a x16 instead of both x8 when 2 cards are used. Now I wont be using 2 cards unless i get one for free.
January 28, 2007 9:12:07 PM

So i should go cheaper on the video card. I figure he will be playing some of my older games soon. So i was going for a semi decent card but I guess I could go a little lower end card. and he still be able to play some games out now. I guess that means I can go a little more expensive on the case.
January 28, 2007 9:33:48 PM

opty 165 and 7600gt are your best bet for a decent computer that will last a while without needing upgraded any time soon, then you could get a couple of 250 drives and use it also as a storage server for anything you needed seeing as most of the small children's games use very little cpu or gpu power but it will also allow him to continue to use that computer for when he gets older and wants to start playing big kid games as he gets older so you wont have to fork out more money at that point to upgrade to dual core :) 
January 28, 2007 9:47:15 PM

then why not just buy a 3200+ and a 7300gt and save more money
January 28, 2007 9:50:20 PM

I am looking at the 1300 pro then I can get one for 50-75 save myself the $25 differnce. He also plays reader rabit. He like the Starwars lego games also. He currently has a 1300pro AGP. I also want to try out the DFI board and see what it can do. Thanks for your input I_Love_Tacos. I will go cheaperr than I thougt i would but thats good.

As for the HDDs I will consider doing 1 now and add more later I have several HDDs in my own pc for storage. But I can get 160gb cheaper or at same cost i can get 80Gbs.

4000 + $80
1300Pro = $75
HDD = $55
Case = ?

Still looking out there.

Any thoughts on the Wide Screen Monitor?

Thanks everyone for your input
January 28, 2007 9:56:40 PM

Quote:
then why not just buy a 3200+ and a 7300gt and save more money

Well I have a 3500+ I could use in this boad and throw the 3200 in the Media PC Looks liek I Might havea winner @ $57.50 saving another $22.50

Again which could go into the case because it will be used for much much longer period of time I figure.
January 28, 2007 11:22:01 PM

Quote:
get a 250gig for the same price of a 160gig for the hdd and I told you I like the antec 900 (have a p180b myself, antec makes good cases). But for the widescreen, here's my personal favorite
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...
and here's a 22" 2ms with a nice res too, as newegg only had 2 23" for over 1k, but if you can get a dell 2407, best monitor for the price on the market
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

Taco's gotta go tend his dad with a broken leg now, so good luck

Hope all is well with your Dad.
Thanks for the input. I have the antec P160 they do make great cases. Maybe Ill get myself a new case and give him mine now that I have saved a couple of bucks.
January 29, 2007 1:34:48 AM

I concur. The 4000+ will be more than enough for your son and they overclock like crazy. I build computers for myself and a few friends and loved the 4000+ last year. For what he need, it is a real steal now. By the way, If you are interested, I just upgraded my girlfriends machine so I have a 4000+, never overclocked (she didn't need it), that I was about to put on ebay. Not sure if it is okay to post this info, and if not please let me know and I'll edit it out but, pm me if you are interested. It is in excellent use as she really only used it for web browsing and movie watching.
January 29, 2007 8:41:50 PM

I sent ya a PM
January 31, 2007 5:02:11 PM

Opteron 165, all the way.
I have a Opty 170 stck clock @ 2.0Ghz
OC'ed to 3.14Ghz :wink:
Opterons are very special processors and can give your moneys worth if you can manage the cpu
February 2, 2007 1:35:09 PM

To be honest with ya, Id take power over $$ anyday, and the Opterons are a steal for the price, plus if OC'ed It will last you a decent amount of time :wink:
February 2, 2007 8:34:43 PM

If you get your son a dual core now, he'll want crossfire later. A 4000+ will be top notch for a 5 year old. There won't be any regrets if the other components are thought out correctly. Focus on something like the hard drive or video card.

Your first computer feels fast until you have a taste of something faster. Then there's no looking back.
February 3, 2007 1:33:25 AM

LOL he picked out this blue case with 4 blue LEDs shining out of the front. It has alien fan gaurds on it, I am more plain I have the Antec P160 its a really nice case and it comes wit ha closed side or a side with a window. I opted to go really cheap since the case ran a bit more than expected because i had to buy 2. I connected the power switch cable in a nother PC to the wrong connections and burned a few wires. Thanksfully I didnt ruin any other piece. He gets the 3500+ /w a DFI UT LANPARTY 3200CFX that Ill tinker with over clocking, and the media PC gets the 3200+ /w a Asus A8V. I went with the 250gb hdd in the media PC for movies and what not and Ill run the media PC as a server also. HE is playing TrackMania now and if you guys havent tried it i suggest yuou do.

Trackmania Nations is free and is great for a race car game try iut and you will be hooked.

Thanks everyone for the input, the wife put the hammer down on the wallet because we just bought a house today(signed papers and its mine). The next upgrade he gets will be my current machine of a C2D e6600 Asus P5w Deluxe 1 74GB Raptor and 2 320 WD's in Raid 0 /w 2 GB OCZ PC 6400 Ram a OCZ 700w Gamer Exstream PSU /w a ATI 1900xtx. HE might get a new DX10 card when he gets the next upgrade in 5 years
!