When will we see K8L benchmark?

edwuave

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
AMD barcelona is gonna release soon(if there are no delays), just wonder, when will we see an official K8L benchmark? Core 2 duo's benchmark was revealed around this time last year, follow by that, Core 2 duo was launch in Q3 last year as well. it really makes me wonder, will AMD delay K8L again? or AMD already have an engineering sample right now, but was to shy(coz it wasnt impressive enough to dethrone C2D) to let us see?

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
AMD barcelona is gonna release soon(if there are no delays), just wonder, when will we see an official K8L benchmark? Core 2 duo's benchmark was revealed around this time last year, follow by that, Core 2 duo was launch in Q3 last year as well. it really makes me wonder, will AMD delay K8L again? or AMD already have an engineering sample right now, but was to shy(coz it wasnt impressive enough to dethrone C2D) to let us see?

March, earliest ES.

carlhungis

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Who needs benchmarks? They said it will be 40% faster than the competition. So just take the best bench out there now and add 40% to it. They wouldn't possibly be at all dishonest about it, so we already know what the benchmarks are. No sense in wasting peoples time with actually having to go through the work of building a system, documenting... etc.

They are just helping us out.

/sarcasm

Heyhey

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2004
Who needs benchmarks? They said it will be 40% faster than the competition. So just take the best bench out there now and add 40% to it. They wouldn't possibly be at all dishonest about it, so we already know what the benchmarks are. No sense in wasting peoples time with actually having to go through the work of building a system, documenting... etc.

/sarcasm

but what they claim to what it will actually do will likely be a different story. Remember before Core 2 Duo came out , Intel were putting 5% on top of how much faster it was against the A64 , so it looked like the C2D was absolutely killing the A64. they were exaggerating the performance gains a fair bit.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

/sarcasm

but what they claim to what it will actually do will likely be a different story. Remember before Core 2 Duo came out , Intel were putting 5% on top of how much faster it was against the A64 , so it looked like the C2D was absolutely killing the A64.

everett

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2004
Core Enchancements:

128 Bit floating point:

Applies only to Agena & Kuma

New SSE4A instructions:

Advanced Bit manipulation

MWAIT & MONITOR instructions

Misaligned SSE Mode
Additional Features:

Power management state invariant time stamp counter (TSC)

increased number of TLB Page entries

1GB large paging support

Physical address space increased to 48 bits
IMC Enhancements

DDR2 Dimms in products variations:

Socket AM2+: Dual Channel unbuffered 1066 support

Socket 1207+ Dual Channel unbuffered 1066 support
Memory Controller enhancements

Write Burst & DRAM prefetching performance improovements

DRAM writes can be buffered in the memory controller before being opportunistically bursted into DRAM controler to improve DRAM interface efficiency

Read prefetcher detects stride paterns and issues prefetch requests based on confidence level

Channel Interleaving
Roadmap:

Agena FX(K8L):

Q3 2007:
2.7-2.9GHz
4x512kB L2 cache
2MB shared L3 cache
Socket 1207+, 1207 compatible
4000MHz hypertransport Bus
TDP not determined yet
65nm SOI

Agena(K8L):

Q3 2007:
2.4-2.6GHz
4x512kB L2 cache
2MB shared L3 cache
Socket AM2+, AM2 compatible
TDP 125W
65nm SOI

Kuma(K8L):

Q3 2007:
2.0-2.9GHz
2x512kB L2 cache
2MB shared L3 cache
TDP 89W, 65W
65nm SOI

Kuma EE(K8L):

Q4 2007:
2.0-?GHz
2x512kB L2 cache
2MB shared L3 cache
TDP 35W
65nm SOI

Rana(K8 ):

Q4 2007:
2.1-2.3GHz
2x512kB L2 cache
No shared L3 cache
2000MHz hypertransport Bus, HTT1
TDP 65W
65nm SOI

Sources:
Chilehardware
Dailytech

qOJDO made this in another thread :wink:

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
The benchmarks will be interesting to see, even though I'm behind the curve and won't get one right away. I'll be interested in seeing how the next generation AM2+ processors work in AM2 boards, if the next version of hypertransport makes any difference. Those benchmarks will interest me.

So far, the only benchmarks I've seen online that really reflect my real world experience with any graphics card or CPU is Oblivion. That's the one game that makes my system seem as extinct as a dodo. That's why I'm going dual core, that and games like Alan Wake that won't run on single cores later this year.

I'm building two Athlon X2 3800+ systems this winter. I ordered an MSI barebones from Newegg for $89.99 which has the K9N6SGM-V Then, the next day, I saw a bundle at Fry's with an Athlon X2 3800+ 65watt processor and the exact same motherboard. So, this month, I get the barebones up and running with 2 gigs DDR2 800 Corsair XMS and a new Seagate 400 gig drive. In March, I just get another X2 3800+, another 2 gigs of Corsair XMS and replace the motherboard, processor and RAM in my signature system.

What I'll probably do is put low end 8 or 12 pipeline graphics cards in both systems and wait till the 8600, 8700 or similar R600 DX10 parts arrive this summer. As far as the performance between the Athlon X2 series and the Core 2 Duo, I don't see them as radically different. The same will probably be true of K8L vs. Penryn. I'm just glad we have competition in the CPU market.

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
As far as the performance between the Athlon X2 series and the Core 2 Duo, I don't see them as radically different. The same will probably be true of K8L vs. Penryn. I'm just glad we have competition in the CPU market.

20% clock-for-clock different is radical in CPU world, when the comparison doesn't have a clock speed advantage, and the comparison used to be the highest performing CPU. Some people actually justified getting Pentium 4 Northwood for their extra 5-10% faster performance. 20% in one generation means there are just more people who see it important.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006

Now will the "Barcelona" be a compitetor for the "Conroe" or the "Penryn"?

qcmadness

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006

Now will the "Barcelona" be a compitetor for the "Conroe" or the "Penryn"?

We are now considering whether Barcelona can surpass Conroe or Penryn now :wink:

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Barcelona is the competitor of both Conroe~ and Penryn~. Expect higher clock speeds and lower temperatures from Penryn, not (much / any) more per-clock power.

Whizzard9992

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
when you learn proper gramma and punctuation skills! and apply them into your thread topics!!!

Keep in mind that some people posting here don't speak english as thier first language.

That may or may not be the case here, but it should be duly noted.

edwuave

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
when you learn proper gramma and punctuation skills! and apply them into your thread topics!!!

gramma??? :?

Grampa's counter part :lol:
@ the Op We all expected a bench in dec.when AMD said they would demonstrate Barcelona.They demonstrated something running task manager; aside from that its all speculation.

that computer behind the task manager is perhaps a 4x4 machine afterall. or worst, an intel quad core machine. 8O

pmr

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

gramma??? :?

Grampa's counter part :lol:
@ the Op We all expected a bench in dec.when AMD said they would demonstrate Barcelona.They demonstrated something running task manager; aside from that its all speculation.

:lol:

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
We all expected a bench in dec.when AMD said they would demonstrate Barcelona.They demonstrated something running task manager; aside from that its all speculation.

NEWSFLASH

Microsoft announced today that due to slow consumer demand for their Vista operating system in the years since its introduction, it will now be replacing it with Ubuntu.

In other news:

AMD published its first Barcelona benchmark today and...

:twisted: