Intel Core 2 vs Intel Core (Laptops)

MaenNJ

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
Hello all

Guys I'm really confused, I'm looking for a laptop with Intel Core 2 high speed and dedicated graphics memory but all I find (in my country) is a intel core 2 (2.00Ghz) with shared graphics memory.
I found finally a laptop with Intel Core 2/ 1.83 GHz (4 MB L2) with good graphics controller
also I found 2.00 GHz but intel core (2MB L2)

So which is better? 2.00GHz (2MB Cache) or 1.83 GHz (4MB Cache) both are dual core

Regards

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Hello all

Guys I'm really confused, I'm looking for a laptop with Intel Core 2 high speed and dedicated graphics memory but all I find (in my country) is a intel core 2 (2.00Ghz) with shared graphics memory.
I found finally a laptop with Intel Core 2/ 1.83 GHz (4 MB L2) with good graphics controller

So which is better? 2.00GHz (2MB Cache) or 1.83 GHz (4MB Cache) both are dual core

Regards

Man people are so confused with the new naming system. "Core" is the name of the microarchitecture, Core 2 Duo is the name of the new CPU. Core Duo, with out the "2" is the one for laptop.

I keep telling my friend its "Core 2 Duo" but he keeps saying "Core Duo 2" or even "Core Duo'.

MaenNJ, There is a Core 2 Duo with 4MB L2 and 2MB L2, but there is no 2MB L2 Core 2 Duo with 1.83GHz speed. That must be a typo, or the marketer had to tell people of a way to differentiate between the Core 2 Duo and the Core Duo so they put 4MB regardless whether it had in reality.

So what I can make out from you is that:
1. 2.00GHz version is a Core Duo(no 2.00GHz Core 2 Duo with 4MB L2)
2. 1.83GHz version is a Core Duo, or really is a Core 2 Duo but with a typo saying it has a 4MB L2

Now if the 1.83GHz version really is a Core 2 Duo, and has a better graphics system than the Core Duo version, the 1.83GHz version is the one you should get.

Slyfoxman7

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Intel introduced their core architecture with the Core Duo for notebooks. They since made some revisions and their current model is the Core 2 Duo available both desktops and notebooks. There are still some notebook Core Duo chips hanging around in inventory. At the same clock speed the Core 2 Duo is superior to the Core Duo. ...To answer your quesetion though, I'd probably take higher clock speed over extra cache.

AZHeat

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Correct - he should get the core 2 duo if possible...

Just for clarification -
- Core refers to Dothan single core - one of the earlier designs that led directly to the CWM Core 2 designs
- Core Duo refers to Yonah dual core (based on Dothan tech)
- Core 2 Duo refers to the Conroe / Merom / Woodcrest family line (CWM) - modeled after the Core family above. Merom is the mobil chip, and is only ~10% faster than Yonah at same clock speeds if I remember the reviews... however, CNR & WDC are much faster than the P4 netburst architecture they replaced...

If you want the fastest, look for Core 2 (Duo)... but in Mobile, a highly clocked Core Duo isn't that bad...

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Just for clarification -
- Core refers to Dothan single core - one of the earlier designs that led directly to the CWM Core 2 designs

To clarify the clarification:

Core refers to the architecture of the newest Intel CPU, the Core 2 Duo. Dothan was called Pentium M, and Banias was called Pentium M

- Core Duo refers to Yonah dual core (based on Dothan tech)
Yonah is the name of the dual core, Yonah SC is the name of the single core version
- Core 2 Duo refers to the Conroe / Merom / Woodcrest family line (CWM) - modeled after the Core family above. Merom is the mobil chip, and is only ~10% faster than Yonah at same clock speeds if I remember the reviews... however, CNR & WDC are much faster than the P4 netburst architecture they replaced...

10%, if you include the heavily GPU bound gaming benchmarks, 15-20% if not.

AZHeat

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Sorry - good clarification...
Dothan was still called the Pentium M, even though it was the pre-cursor of the Core archeticture...

MaenNJ

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
Thanks for clarification
so guys you think that I should take the one with Intel Core Duo at higher speed ? what the difference anyway between Intel Core Duo and Intel Core 2 Duo if both are at 1.83 GHz , they both have L2 some cache memory ?

MaenNJ

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
Hello all

Regards

Man people are so confused with the new naming system. "Core" is the name of the microarchitecture, Core 2 Duo is the name of the new CPU. Core Duo, with out the "2" is the one for laptop.

I keep telling my friend its "Core 2 Duo" but he keeps saying "Core Duo 2" or even "Core Duo'.

MaenNJ, There is a Core 2 Duo with 4MB L2 and 2MB L2, but there is no 2MB L2 Core 2 Duo with 1.83GHz speed. That must be a typo, or the marketer had to tell people of a way to differentiate between the Core 2 Duo and the Core Duo so they put 4MB regardless whether it had in reality.

So what I can make out from you is that:
1. 2.00GHz version is a Core Duo(no 2.00GHz Core 2 Duo with 4MB L2)
2. 1.83GHz version is a Core Duo, or really is a Core 2 Duo but with a typo saying it has a 4MB L2

Now if the 1.83GHz version really is a Core 2 Duo, and has a better graphics system than the Core Duo version, the 1.83GHz version is the one you should get.

Thanks I just read your last line :) so you think I should take Core 2 Duo at 1.83, BTW can I overclock it to 2.00 GHz without heat problem ?

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
In the World of Laptops, there is no such thing as "over clocking". Too much sensitive Equipment running on Battery's and too little space for appropriate cooling solutions to support any over clocking.

malachi1612

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
If I remember correctly the difference between the Core 2 Duo and Core Duo apart from the L2 cache is the Core Duo isnt 64bit. Unless Im wrong.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
If I remember correctly the difference between the Core 2 Duo and Core Duo apart from the L2 cache is the Core Duo isnt 64bit. Unless Im wrong.

Besides 64-bit extensions and cache differences there are a few other minor core changes. Nothing major, at least when compared to the differences between the move from Netburst -> Dothan.