How to: Use character in Addons

A quick question.. how do I use my used character from the original NwN
in the addons? Whenever I go and start a new SoU, I only get the option
to select new characters..

Mikael
12 answers Last reply
More about character addons

    Mikael Schøler wrote:

    > A quick question.. how do I use my used character from the original
    > NwN in the addons? Whenever I go and start a new SoU, I only get the
    > option to select new characters..

    There is a subfolder named "localvault" in your NWN folder which holds the
    character files. If you finished the OC completely, it should at least be
    one file there. If you didn't, you will have to save the character manually
    from the options window.

    HTH
    Hans

    Hans Wein wrote:
    > Mikael Schøler wrote:
    >

    >>A quick question.. how do I use my used character from the original
    >>NwN in the addons? Whenever I go and start a new SoU, I only get the
    >>option to select new characters..
    >

    > There is a subfolder named "localvault" in your NWN folder which holds the
    > character files. If you finished the OC completely, it should at least be
    > one file there. If you didn't, you will have to save the character manually
    > from the options window.
    >
    > HTH
    > Hans

    Well there's a bunch of files there.. all files named different
    characters.. there's also my own guy... what do I do now then?

    I would say I finished the OC completely.. I reached the credits. :)

    Mikael Schøler wrote:
    > Hans Wein wrote:
    >
    >> Mikael Schøler wrote:
    >>

    >>> A quick question.. how do I use my used character from the original
    >>> NwN in the addons? Whenever I go and start a new SoU, I only get the
    >>> option to select new characters..
    >>

    >> There is a subfolder named "localvault" in your NWN folder which holds
    >> the
    >> character files. If you finished the OC completely, it should at least be
    >> one file there. If you didn't, you will have to save the character
    >> manually
    >> from the options window.
    >>
    >> HTH
    >> Hans
    >>

    > Well there's a bunch of files there.. all files named different
    > characters.. there's also my own guy... what do I do now then?
    >
    > I would say I finished the OC completely.. I reached the credits. :)

    Nevermind.. I figured it out.. Apparently the character is only visible
    there when one is finished with OC - or perhaps has saved him/her.

    Thanks anyway.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Mikael Schøler wrote:
    > A quick question.. how do I use my used character from the original NwN
    > in the addons? Whenever I go and start a new SoU, I only get the option
    > to select new characters..
    >
    > Mikael

    Mikael,

    The easiest way to do this is to open the last saved file of your game
    from the orginal game. You can still open it using SoU. Then go to save
    the game but instead of saving the game, choose Save Character. The
    program will save your character as they are with all the equipment,
    levels and anything else that is associated with your character at that
    moment in time of the save. Once you do that, you can restart the game
    and when you select characters, you should have your character you built
    up from the orginal game.

    Arcarius 76
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    arcarius wrote:
    > Mikael Schøler wrote:
    >
    >> A quick question.. how do I use my used character from the original
    >> NwN in the addons? Whenever I go and start a new SoU, I only get the
    >> option to select new characters..
    >>
    >> Mikael
    >>
    > Mikael,
    >
    > The easiest way to do this is to open the last saved file of your game
    > from the orginal game. You can still open it using SoU. Then go to save
    > the game but instead of saving the game, choose Save Character. The
    > program will save your character as they are with all the equipment,
    > levels and anything else that is associated with your character at that
    > moment in time of the save. Once you do that, you can restart the game
    > and when you select characters, you should have your character you built
    > up from the orginal game.
    >
    > Arcarius 76
    I couldn't understand why my character wasn't there when I tried the SoU
    before I had finished OC. Once I finished OC and started on SoU he was
    there though..

    But thanks for the tip :)
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Mikael Schøler wrote:

    > I couldn't understand why my character wasn't there when I tried the SoU
    > before I had finished OC. Once I finished OC and started on SoU he was
    > there though..
    >
    > But thanks for the tip :)

    Mind, SoU is designed to be played by a new first-level character. It
    will be kind of easy if you import a character who finished the OC.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    I know you can use your character from OC/SOU/HoTU in the add-on modules.
    But can you go in reverse. Is it possibel to play in one of the campaigns
    and part-way through use that character in the add-on modules, then go back
    and import that character (with Treasure/Exp. gained) back into OC/SOU/HoTU
    campaign where you left off before?

    "Mikael Schøler" <QM3mik_s@tdcadsl.dk> wrote in message
    >A quick question.. how do I use my used character from the original NwN in
    >the addons? Whenever I go and start a new SoU, I only get the option to
    >select new characters..
    >
    > Mikael

  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Adam Kroger <adam_kroger wrote:

    > I know you can use your character from OC/SOU/HoTU in the add-on modules.
    > But can you go in reverse. Is it possibel to play in one of the campaigns
    > and part-way through use that character in the add-on modules, then go back
    > and import that character (with Treasure/Exp. gained) back into OC/SOU/HoTU
    > campaign where you left off before?

    Yes and no; you can't go back where you left off precisely, but you can
    either with a new character or one that you have already played
    elsewhere, or, as you suggest here, taking a character from one of those
    campaigns out, playing elsewhere, and then coming back in to the one you
    left or a new one.

    If you leave at the end of a chapter, then, the answer is an unqualified
    yes... but if you leave in the middle of a chapter, then you'll have to
    redo a bit when you come back in.

    Few player created modules are broken up into chapters, so with them, if
    you want to take the character out and then back in later after his
    changes, you'll probably have to start over from scratch.

    Lance
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Lance Berg <emporer@dejazzd.com> wrote in message news:<7KWdnZsYLtE5xjfcRVn-vw@dejazzd.com>...
    > Adam Kroger <adam_kroger wrote:
    >
    > > I know you can use your character from OC/SOU/HoTU in the add-on modules.
    > > But can you go in reverse. Is it possibel to play in one of the campaigns
    > > and part-way through use that character in the add-on modules, then go back
    > > and import that character (with Treasure/Exp. gained) back into OC/SOU/HoTU
    > > campaign where you left off before?
    >
    > Yes and no; you can't go back where you left off precisely, but you can
    > either with a new character or one that you have already played
    > elsewhere, or, as you suggest here, taking a character from one of those
    > campaigns out, playing elsewhere, and then coming back in to the one you
    > left or a new one.

    How about this?
    1) Export the character from the official campaign.
    2) Play the add-on module with the character, then export the
    character from the module when desired
    3) Open the official campaign saved game from the DM Toolset and save
    it
    4) Open the official campaign saved game normally and choose "use an
    existing character" (or whatever the wording is) when you get the
    option
    5) Select the version of your character you exported from the module

    Not sure why you would want to do this, though - there are lots of
    easier ways to "cheat"
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Kish wrote:
    > Mikael Schøler wrote:
    >
    >> I couldn't understand why my character wasn't there when I tried the
    >> SoU before I had finished OC. Once I finished OC and started on SoU he
    >> was there though..
    >>
    >> But thanks for the tip :)
    >

    > Mind, SoU is designed to be played by a new first-level character. It
    > will be kind of easy if you import a character who finished the OC.
    I know ;)
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Anonymous Jack wrote:

    > How about this?
    > 1) Export the character from the official campaign.
    > 2) Play the add-on module with the character, then export the
    > character from the module when desired
    > 3) Open the official campaign saved game from the DM Toolset and save
    > it
    > 4) Open the official campaign saved game normally and choose "use an
    > existing character" (or whatever the wording is) when you get the
    > option
    > 5) Select the version of your character you exported from the module
    >
    > Not sure why you would want to do this, though - there are lots of
    > easier ways to "cheat"

    Hmm, that may work, I haven't done anything with the DM mode at all.

    Why? Because this is arguably -not- cheating. If you go over to some
    campaign where things are super easy or simply designed to give you
    stuff and exp without effort, I'll grant you that it is. If the
    campaign you are playing in is one where you are supposed to be working
    on a tight time limit, again, I'll grant you that taking a month's long
    break and roaming around some far off city isn't kosher.

    But take a module which is designed to run over the course of months,
    with long spans of time going by waiting for something to be delivered
    or so forth... who's to say you -didn't- run off to spend a weekend in
    town, and get embroiled in some other incedent?

    Back in the Pen and Paper days, this sort of thing would happen all the
    time; the regular DM couldn't show up so we'd go off and play in
    someone's one session special for the day, and then come back to the
    campaign. Or we'd deliberately plan to swap back and forth so that
    nobody had to take DM duty all the time.

    Lance
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Lance Berg <emporer@dejazzd.com> wrote in message news:<vqOdnfV6mfLjCTbcRVn-uA@dejazzd.com>...
    > Anonymous Jack wrote:
    > > Not sure why you would want to do this, though - there are lots of
    > > easier ways to "cheat"
    >
    > Why? Because this is arguably -not- cheating. If you go over to some
    > campaign where things are super easy or simply designed to give you
    > stuff and exp without effort, I'll grant you that it is.

    Agreed - which is why I put cheat in quotes. There are "legit" reasons
    for doing this and in the end, it's just a game.

    > But take a module which is designed to run over the course of months,
    > with long spans of time going by waiting for something to be delivered
    > or so forth... who's to say you -didn't- run off to spend a weekend in
    > town, and get embroiled in some other incedent?

    Good point for most modules/campaigns. NWN OC, though, the city is
    supposed to be quarantined; later is besieged. You could make a case
    that a rogue or wiz/sorc type could sneak out and sneak back in, but I
    don't see fighter types or clerics doing this.

    > Back in the Pen and Paper days, this sort of thing would happen all the
    > time; the regular DM couldn't show up so we'd go off and play in
    > someone's one session special for the day, and then come back to the
    > campaign. Or we'd deliberately plan to swap back and forth so that
    > nobody had to take DM duty all the time.

    Hmmm, our group didn't play PnP characters from one campaign to
    another. Our group typically had a stable of characters, one or more
    for each campaign world. That's because some DMs liked to run
    high-magic worlds, others liked low magic, etc. I carried that over
    to NWN - keeping a stable of characters.

Games Video Games