Can't Delete or Move Folder

February 17, 2005 6:16:10 PM

XP Home, SP2 w/latest update, Cable connection.

I'm having a problem deleting and moving folders. It
doesn't matter if it is an empty folder that I made and
didn't use or if it is a program folder that I have
uninstalled, when I try to delete or move it to storage,
I get a message telling me 'someone is using it or it is
being used by another program.' For my requested action
to take place, I must restart my computer.

Action I've taken: Checked Task Manager to see if the
folder or program was open. Checked to see if other
programs depend upon it or are using it. Negative in all
cases.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

SS

More about : delete move folder

Anonymous
February 18, 2005 11:25:39 AM

Hi, SS.

Maybe the "someone" who is using the folder is Windows Explorer itself. :^[

Close all Explorer windows. Then open a "DOS" window. Navigate to the
parent of your rogue folder and use the rd (Remove Directory) command with
the /s switch (to Include Subdirectories):
rd <foldername> /s

You might need to reboot into Safe Mode to be sure that no program is using
the folder.

If that doesn't work, post back with exactly what you did and exactly what
result you saw.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"sawalkers" <sawalkers@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> XP Home, SP2 w/latest update, Cable connection.
>
> I'm having a problem deleting and moving folders. It
> doesn't matter if it is an empty folder that I made and
> didn't use or if it is a program folder that I have
> uninstalled, when I try to delete or move it to storage,
> I get a message telling me 'someone is using it or it is
> being used by another program.' For my requested action
> to take place, I must restart my computer.
>
> Action I've taken: Checked Task Manager to see if the
> folder or program was open. Checked to see if other
> programs depend upon it or are using it. Negative in all
> cases.
>
> Can anyone help me with this problem?
>
> SS
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 5:04:00 PM

Yikes, R.C., Hope you're ready for this. I need
step-by-step directions. You see, I've never used DOS
except to type in something my IPS told me to do. Should
it look like this: rd New Folder /s ('New Folder' is an
empty folder I made and decided I didn't need)?

SS

February 18, 2005 5:13:26 PM

Had to put quotation marks around "New Folder," however, it
worked! Thanks loads! I appreciate your help.

SS

Anonymous
February 18, 2005 7:50:01 PM

Hi, SS.

Thanks for the report back. I'm glad it worked. It usually does, but...

Any time we are working in the "DOS" window, we have to observe some rules.
(I enclose "DOS" in quotes to emphasize that this is only an emulation of
MS-DOS that runs in WinXP, and not true MS-DOS.) One of those rules is
that, if we are dealing with a filename (including a folder name) that is
not a legal 8.3 filename, we must include the entire pathname in quotes.
One such illegal character that is frequently encountered is the space, such
as in "New Folder".

I'm glad you figured it out. ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"sawalkers" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>Yikes, R.C., Hope you're ready for this. I need
>>step-by-step directions. You see, I've never used DOS
>>except to type in something my IPS told me to do. Should
>>it look like this: rd New Folder /s ('New Folder' is an
>>empty folder I made and decided I didn't need)?
>>
>>SS
>>
> Had to put quotation marks around "New Folder," however, it
> worked! Thanks loads! I appreciate your help.
>
> SS
>

>>>Hi, SS.
>>>
>>>Maybe the "someone" who is using the folder is Windows
>>Explorer itself. :^[
>>>
>>>Close all Explorer windows. Then open a "DOS" window.
>>Navigate to the
>>>parent of your rogue folder and use the rd (Remove
>>Directory) command with
>>>the /s switch (to Include Subdirectories):
>>>rd <foldername> /s
>>>
>>>You might need to reboot into Safe Mode to be sure that no
>>program is using
>>>the folder.
>>>
>>>If that doesn't work, post back with exactly what you did
>>and exactly what
>>>result you saw.
>>>
>>>RC
>>>
>>>"sawalkers" <sawalkers@yahoo.com> wrote in message

February 19, 2005 11:14:35 AM

I've seen this reply many times, but started off with W95 & have never had
the need to delve into DOS instructions.
Could you please give an example as to how to proceed "Navigate sequence"?
An example may be an undeletable folder in My Documents on my C-drive named
"OVELAN6J", which contains a 0B file called "search[1]."

--

johnf

> Hi, SS.
>
> Maybe the "someone" who is using the folder is Windows Explorer itself.
> :^[
> Close all Explorer windows. Then open a "DOS" window. Navigate to the
> parent of your rogue folder and use the rd (Remove Directory) command
> with the /s switch (to Include Subdirectories):
> rd <foldername> /s
>
> You might need to reboot into Safe Mode to be sure that no program is
> using the folder.
>
> If that doesn't work, post back with exactly what you did and exactly
> what result you saw.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@corridor.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "sawalkers" <sawalkers@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> XP Home, SP2 w/latest update, Cable connection.
>>
>> I'm having a problem deleting and moving folders. It
>> doesn't matter if it is an empty folder that I made and
>> didn't use or if it is a program folder that I have
>> uninstalled, when I try to delete or move it to storage,
>> I get a message telling me 'someone is using it or it is
>> being used by another program.' For my requested action
>> to take place, I must restart my computer.
>>
>> Action I've taken: Checked Task Manager to see if the
>> folder or program was open. Checked to see if other
>> programs depend upon it or are using it. Negative in all
>> cases.
>>
>> Can anyone help me with this problem?
>>
>> SS
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 11:14:36 AM

Go to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm, select "D" at the top, and
scroll down to Delete - Can't Delete Files or Folders.

"johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
> I've seen this reply many times, but started off with W95 & have never had
> the need to delve into DOS instructions.
> Could you please give an example as to how to proceed "Navigate sequence"?
> An example may be an undeletable folder in My Documents on my C-drive
> named "OVELAN6J", which contains a 0B file called "search[1]."
>
> --
>
> johnf
>
>> Hi, SS.
>>
>> Maybe the "someone" who is using the folder is Windows Explorer itself.
>> :^[
>> Close all Explorer windows. Then open a "DOS" window. Navigate to the
>> parent of your rogue folder and use the rd (Remove Directory) command
>> with the /s switch (to Include Subdirectories):
>> rd <foldername> /s
>>
>> You might need to reboot into Safe Mode to be sure that no program is
>> using the folder.
>>
>> If that doesn't work, post back with exactly what you did and exactly
>> what result you saw.
>>
>> RC
>> --
>> R. C. White, CPA
>> San Marcos, TX
>> rc@corridor.net
>> Microsoft Windows MVP
>>
>> "sawalkers" <sawalkers@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> XP Home, SP2 w/latest update, Cable connection.
>>>
>>> I'm having a problem deleting and moving folders. It
>>> doesn't matter if it is an empty folder that I made and
>>> didn't use or if it is a program folder that I have
>>> uninstalled, when I try to delete or move it to storage,
>>> I get a message telling me 'someone is using it or it is
>>> being used by another program.' For my requested action
>>> to take place, I must restart my computer.
>>>
>>> Action I've taken: Checked Task Manager to see if the
>>> folder or program was open. Checked to see if other
>>> programs depend upon it or are using it. Negative in all
>>> cases.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help me with this problem?
>>>
>>> SS

Anonymous
February 28, 2005 6:53:01 PM

I have run into that problem and resolved it by downloading a program
that automatically deletes the file on reboot. It shows up in the
context menu as Delete files on next boot. The name of the app. is as
follows. It's very good and it's FREE. To delete Folders there is
another program Delete Doctor. You can find these Apps on
http://www.snapfiles.com and select Free Files.

--
Bobbya10
Bobbya10's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=10354