E-IDE or IDE?

shaggy3131

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
what is the difrence between E-IDE and IDE im purchasing a MBoard with
1X IDE port does this meen i can only run one optical drive? can i run E-IDE on this or only IDE?

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
1X IDE port does this meen i can only run one optical drive? can i run E-IDE on this or only IDE?

None that you would care about. It will work fine, and you can use 2 devices.

Fustigator

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007

Shaggy,

EIDE was a proprietary Western Digital term that is now antiquated. IDE is what we find in current computers, although it too is on it's last legs. A single IDE port should be fine if you plan on using SATA harddrives. I strongly recommend SATA as they provide better performance and more flexibilty. Most current Motherboards will provide 4-8 SATA ports on the motherboard. You also won't need to worry about making sure you have jumped the drive properly.

You single IDE slot will enable you to have up to 2 IDE devices, and if you've gone with SATA HDDs, then mostly what we're talking about it Optical drives. The IDE cable should have room for 2 devices. Leave the jumpers on Cable select for both optical drives and you shouldn't have any problems. Personally, I've never had a need for more than one optical though. I just make sure that it's a combo that will handle everything I need.