Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New antenna (zenith) and HDTV...finally

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
June 7, 2004 4:59:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Hi all! I finally have HDTV. Looks great and worth the fight.

Zenith Silver Sensor.
Picked this up on the way home Friday. When I got to Fry's, it was $39.99
instead
of the $20.00 I was told on he phone. They had 6 of them and they were all
open box returns.
I complained. Why was it $20.00 4 hours ago and 40 now..."I guess they went
off sale"
He tried to sell me an RCA (for $49.00) and I told him I wanted what I had
come for at
the price I had been told. Well, he told me the zenith was a piece of junk
and I would be returning it anyway, I might as well get what I need. I stood
my ground and got my silver sensor for the price quoted on the phone.
(I told him I would take my chances)
Works Great!!! I have NBC, CBS, WB and ABC (no FOX) I also have 5 pbs
channels and
3 live Doppler radar channels, plus 2 Spanish channels, all from that little
startrek looking zenith. I was amazed! When DirecTV came he reset the guide
to include all of my
HD and antenna stations and ran it all through the HD receiver...No flipping
from ant a to ant c now!!

HDTV form DirecTV
They came out Saturday to install my receiver. He wanted to know why I still
had 2 dish on the house.
Wanted to know why half the TV's were on the new dish and half on the old.
wanted to know why wall the cables were just hanging out of the walls with
no faceplates.
Direct TV is coming out this Saturday to gut the wiring and start over. The
guy we had all of the problems with
also made a huge mess with the install!! From there we will rewire all of
the components. Not touching a thing
till he gets through with it!

Funny story.
I had to spend 2 hours on the phone yesterday with direct TV because my aunt
tried to change the channels with the TV remote instead of the sat remote.
that screwed her up..so she played with both receivers trying to get it
back.
Somehow, she reset the inputs on the sat box and I had to have much
technical assistance to get it fixed! They were very friendly and patient
with me!

So, I now have an old (and working just fine) single head dish, and a new HD
dish sitting in the garage (it came free with the HD receiver) What doe I do
with these...save them for a rainy day?
June 7, 2004 4:59:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

They won't help you on a rainy day...the signal will disappear anyway.

> So, I now have an old (and working just fine) single head dish, and a new
HD
> dish sitting in the garage (it came free with the HD receiver) What doe I
do
> with these...save them for a rainy day?
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 6:54:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"jojo" <cgv_2000*yourhat*@yahoo.com> wrote in
news:WEZwc.4653$oV.177@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com:

> Hi all! I finally have HDTV. Looks great and worth the fight.
>
> Zenith Silver Sensor.
> Picked this up on the way home Friday. When I got to Fry's, it was
> $39.99 instead
> of the $20.00 I was told on he phone. They had 6 of them and they were
> all open box returns.
> I complained. Why was it $20.00 4 hours ago and 40 now..."I guess they
> went off sale"
> He tried to sell me an RCA (for $49.00) and I told him I wanted what I
> had come for at
> the price I had been told. Well, he told me the zenith was a piece of
> junk and I would be returning it anyway, I might as well get what I
> need. I stood my ground and got my silver sensor for the price quoted
> on the phone. (I told him I would take my chances)
> Works Great!!! I have NBC, CBS, WB and ABC (no FOX) I also have 5 pbs
> channels and
> 3 live Doppler radar channels, plus 2 Spanish channels, all from that
> little startrek looking zenith. I was amazed! When DirecTV came he
> reset the guide to include all of my
> HD and antenna stations and ran it all through the HD receiver...No
> flipping from ant a to ant c now!!
>
> HDTV form DirecTV
> They came out Saturday to install my receiver. He wanted to know why I
> still had 2 dish on the house.
> Wanted to know why half the TV's were on the new dish and half on the
> old. wanted to know why wall the cables were just hanging out of the
> walls with no faceplates.
> Direct TV is coming out this Saturday to gut the wiring and start
> over. The guy we had all of the problems with
> also made a huge mess with the install!! From there we will rewire all
> of the components. Not touching a thing
> till he gets through with it!
>
> Funny story.
> I had to spend 2 hours on the phone yesterday with direct TV because
> my aunt tried to change the channels with the TV remote instead of the
> sat remote. that screwed her up..so she played with both receivers
> trying to get it back.
> Somehow, she reset the inputs on the sat box and I had to have much
> technical assistance to get it fixed! They were very friendly and
> patient with me!
>
> So, I now have an old (and working just fine) single head dish, and a
> new HD dish sitting in the garage (it came free with the HD receiver)
> What doe I do with these...save them for a rainy day?

You should probably set up the multi-head dish unless your old setup can
handle multiple satellites. This stuff is going to spawn some more
satellites as time goes on.


--
Dave Oldridge
ICQ 1800667

Paradoxically, most real events are highly improbable.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 7, 2004 7:25:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

> You should probably set up the multi-head dish unless your old setup can
> handle multiple satellites. This stuff is going to spawn some more
> satellites as time goes on.
>
>
> --
> Dave Oldridge
> ICQ 1800667
>
> Paradoxically, most real events are highly improbable.

It is. I already have a 3 head and a single head on the roof.
Instead of connecting all 4 receivers to the 3 head, he left 3 receivers on
the single
head and one receiver on the multihead. guess he did not feel like upgrading
everything to the 3 head.

When all is done correctly, I'll have a single head and a multihead sitting
in the garage gathering dust, with a multihead on the roof.
;-)

jojo
Anonymous
June 7, 2004 9:37:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Curmudgeon wrote:
> They won't help you on a rainy day...the signal will disappear anyway.

Seems to work fine during storms for me.
June 7, 2004 9:54:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Actually, in my area I am fortunate.
I get very little disruption in typical Texas storms.
They have to be pretty violent before it affects my signal.
Usually I'm more worried about tornados than SAT reception
during those times...(although I do depend heavily on my Doppler force
radar)
;-)

jojo


"Curmudgeon" <gary@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:l60xc.15826$Iu6.6633@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
> They won't help you on a rainy day...the signal will disappear anyway.
>
> > So, I now have an old (and working just fine) single head dish, and a
new
> HD
> > dish sitting in the garage (it came free with the HD receiver) What doe
I
> do
> > with these...save them for a rainy day?
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 9:37:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

jojo wrote:
> Hi all! I finally have HDTV. Looks great and worth the fight.


S N I P


> So, I now have an old (and working just fine) single head dish, and a new HD
> dish sitting in the garage (it came free with the HD receiver) What doe I do
> with these...save them for a rainy day?
>
Jojo:

Are you near Houston? I'd be interested in the HD dish for my DTC100.
I currently use it for OTA only.

Steven C. Perkins
June 15, 2004 4:23:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Steven...No, I'm in Austin.
Headed this way anytime soon?

jojo


"Steven C. Perkins" <SPerkins@uh.edu> wrote in message
news:40CE2893.4020609@uh.edu...
> jojo wrote:
> > Hi all! I finally have HDTV. Looks great and worth the fight.
>
>
> S N I P
>
>
> > So, I now have an old (and working just fine) single head dish, and a
new HD
> > dish sitting in the garage (it came free with the HD receiver) What doe
I do
> > with these...save them for a rainy day?
> >
> Jojo:
>
> Are you near Houston? I'd be interested in the HD dish for my DTC100.
> I currently use it for OTA only.
>
> Steven C. Perkins
>
!