Searching registry

I'm familiar with manually finding items in registry.
And it doesn't scare me.
But I believe there's a search command for registry
searching.....somebody tell me about it please?
--
William B. Lurie

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 20:19:02 -0500, billurie@nospam.org wrote:

> I'm familiar with manually finding items in registry.
> And it doesn't scare me.
> But I believe there's a search command for registry
> searching.....somebody tell me about it please?

You're going to kick yourself for not finding it on your own. Open the
registry editor and look under the Edit menu. You'll see Find and Find
Next. This is the typical location for Find/Search in most Windows
programs.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Ctrl + F or the F3 key.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:OCoBZfVFFHA.732@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
billurie@nospam.org <billurie@nospam.org> hunted and pecked:
> I'm familiar with manually finding items in registry.
> And it doesn't scare me.
> But I believe there's a search command for registry
> searching.....somebody tell me about it please?
> --
> William B. Lurie

start->run->regedit[enter]
ctrl-f "text" [enter]
f3

--
Walter Clayton

Sharon F wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 20:19:02 -0500, billurie@nospam.org wrote:
>

>>I'm familiar with manually finding items in registry.
>>And it doesn't scare me.
>>But I believe there's a search command for registry
>>searching.....somebody tell me about it please?
>

> You're going to kick yourself for not finding it on your own. Open the
> registry editor and look under the Edit menu. You'll see Find and Find
> Next. This is the typical location for Find/Search in most Windows
> programs.
You're right, Sharon. I had already found it, and
administered the royal foot. Thanks.

--
William B. Lurie

Wesley Vogel wrote:

> Ctrl + F or the F3 key.

Thanks, Wes. As you saw, I should have looked
a bit. Somehow I thought there was a 'regsearch'
or something.

--
William B. Lurie

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:36:13 -0500, billurie@nospam.org wrote:

> You're right, Sharon. I had already found it, and
> administered the royal foot. Thanks.

I figured you would find it before you made it back to this thread :^)

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Salut/Hi billurie@nospam.org,

le/on Thu, 17 Feb 2005 20:19:02 -0500, tu disais/you said:-

>I'm familiar with manually finding items in registry.
>And it doesn't scare me.
>But I believe there's a search command for registry
>searching.....somebody tell me about it please?

How on earth can you be familiar with manually finding items in the registry
(which implies using regedit) and yet never taken the trouble to do

EDIT/FIND

or simply CTRL-F ?

Very odd. I'm no Registry Guru - VERY far from it, but before screwing
around with any program, isn't it worth looking at the menu items on the top
line? There's only 5 of them in Regedit.

Just a bit of advice, though. If you need to be "told about" the search
command, you don't want to be messing with the Registry.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

> Wesley Vogel wrote:
>
>> Ctrl + F or the F3 key.
>>
> Thanks, Wes. As you saw, I should have looked
> a bit. Somehow I thought there was a 'regsearch'
> or something.
>
> --
> William B. Lurie

Hi

Have a look at Registry Crawler - saves having to hit F3 all the time:

http://www.4developers.com/regc/

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

You're not smart enough to be going into the registry!

"billurie@nospam.org" wrote:

> I'm familiar with manually finding items in registry.
> And it doesn't scare me.
> But I believe there's a search command for registry
> searching.....somebody tell me about it please?
> --
> William B. Lurie

In addition:

RegScanner v1.00:
http://nirsoft.net/utils/regscanner.html

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

<billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
> I'm familiar with manually finding items in registry.
> And it doesn't scare me.
> But I believe there's a search command for registry
> searching.....somebody tell me about it please?
> --
> William B. Lurie

F3 is much cheaper than $39.95 ">)

All the best,
--
George Aker aka SG
Google is your friend www.google.com

> <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
> > Wesley Vogel wrote:
> >
> >> Ctrl + F or the F3 key.
> >>
> > Thanks, Wes. As you saw, I should have looked
> > a bit. Somehow I thought there was a 'regsearch'
> > or something.
> >
> > --
> > William B. Lurie
>
> Hi
>
> Have a look at Registry Crawler - saves having to hit F3 all the time:
>
> http://www.4developers.com/regc/
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups

Very helpful - keep it to yourself next time.

--

Will Denny wrote:

> Very helpful - keep it to yourself next time.

Thanks for telling him, Will. For the same time it took
the wise-ass to make a snotty comment, he could have done
something useful. He's actually only pouring dirt on himself.

Bill L.

Hi Ramesh,

Do you use RegScanner? Do you like it?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:OFfFfnYFFHA.2572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> In addition:
>
> RegScanner v1.00:
> http://nirsoft.net/utils/regscanner.html
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>> I'm familiar with manually finding items in registry.
>> And it doesn't scare me.
>> But I believe there's a search command for registry
>> searching.....somebody tell me about it please?
>> --
>> William B. Lurie

I liked it, Wes. Infact, most of the Nirsoft utilities are nice. Though I
don't use Regscanner regularly (as the need has not come yet). But for basic
searches, F3 in Regedit is the best way.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Hi Ramesh,
>
> Do you use RegScanner? Do you like it?
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:OFfFfnYFFHA.2572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> In addition:
>>
>> RegScanner v1.00:
>> http://nirsoft.net/utils/regscanner.html
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
>>> I'm familiar with manually finding items in registry.
>>> And it doesn't scare me.
>>> But I believe there's a search command for registry
>>> searching.....somebody tell me about it please?
>>> --
>>> William B. Lurie

Hi Ramesh,

I have Protected Storage PassView v1.60 and shexview.exe v 1.0.1.0 by
NirSoft. I downloaded and unzipped RegScanner v1.00, but I haven't used it
yet.

Thanks for the tip. :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:ufCFdBkFFHA.1932@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> I liked it, Wes. Infact, most of the Nirsoft utilities are nice.
> Though I don't use Regscanner regularly (as the need has not come
> yet). But for basic searches, F3 in Regedit is the best way.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

>> Hi Ramesh,
>>
>> Do you use RegScanner? Do you like it?
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:OFfFfnYFFHA.2572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>>> In addition:
>>>
>>> RegScanner v1.00:
>>> http://nirsoft.net/utils/regscanner.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows XP Shell/User
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>>

>>> <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message

Whatever - RC saves one of my digits having to hit the F3 key 100+ times in
one search!!

--

"SG" <sorry@nomail.com> wrote in message
> F3 is much cheaper than $39.95 ">)
>
> All the best,
> --
> George Aker aka SG
> Google is your friend www.google.com
> Anything else is just a search engine

>> <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message

>> > Thanks, Wes. As you saw, I should have looked
>> > a bit. Somehow I thought there was a 'regsearch'
>> > or something.
>> >
>> > --
>> > William B. Lurie
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> Have a look at Registry Crawler - saves having to hit F3 all the time:
>>
>> http://www.4developers.com/regc/
>>
>> --
>>

>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups

Wes,

Have a look at SysList tool as well.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Hi Ramesh,
>
> I have Protected Storage PassView v1.60 and shexview.exe v 1.0.1.0 by
> NirSoft. I downloaded and unzipped RegScanner v1.00, but I haven't used
> it
> yet.
>
> Thanks for the tip. :)
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:ufCFdBkFFHA.1932@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> I liked it, Wes. Infact, most of the Nirsoft utilities are nice.
>> Though I don't use Regscanner regularly (as the need has not come
>> yet). But for basic searches, F3 in Regedit is the best way.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

>>> Hi Ramesh,
>>>
>>> Do you use RegScanner? Do you like it?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:OFfFfnYFFHA.2572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>>> Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:

Ramesh,

I can't find SysList at http://www.nirsoft.net/

SysExporter maybe?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:u2yC5EwFFHA.1836@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> Wes,
>
> Have a look at SysList tool as well.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

>> Hi Ramesh,
>>
>> I have Protected Storage PassView v1.60 and shexview.exe v 1.0.1.0 by
>> NirSoft. I downloaded and unzipped RegScanner v1.00, but I haven't
>> used it
>> yet.
>>
>> Thanks for the tip. :)
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:ufCFdBkFFHA.1932@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>>> I liked it, Wes. Infact, most of the Nirsoft utilities are nice.
>>> Though I don't use Regscanner regularly (as the need has not come
>>> yet). But for basic searches, F3 in Regedit is the best way.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows XP Shell/User
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Oops! I was referring to the SysExporter tool, Wes. Can be used to print
search results to a file. (previously it was possible using Windows 9x Send
To Powertoy)

How to print Windows XP Search results to a file ?:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/searchresults.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Ramesh,
>
> I can't find SysList at http://www.nirsoft.net/
>
> SysExporter maybe?
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:u2yC5EwFFHA.1836@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> Wes,
>>
>> Have a look at SysList tool as well.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org

>>> Hi Ramesh,
>>>
>>> I have Protected Storage PassView v1.60 and shexview.exe v 1.0.1.0 by
>>> NirSoft. I downloaded and unzipped RegScanner v1.00, but I haven't
>>> used it
>>> yet.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the tip. :)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:ufCFdBkFFHA.1932@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
>>> Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:

Ramesh,

Now that is useful. Cool. Thank you much! :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:OK$95S9FFHA.1836@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,

Welcome, Wes :)

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Ramesh,
>
> Now that is useful. Cool. Thank you much! :)
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:OK$95S9FFHA.1836@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> Oops! I was referring to the SysExporter tool, Wes. Can be used to
>> print search results to a file. (previously it was possible using
>> Windows 9x Send To Powertoy)
>>
>> How to print Windows XP Search results to a file ?:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/searchresults.htm
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP

<snip>