Armanguy

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Ok ever since i got my computer back from the repair guy over at radioshack , my computer has been having problems starting up and running properly, it makes a beeping noise at the beginning of start up sometimes and ill have to shut it down manually and restart, then i just got my new graphics card wich i love btw cheap too. but after i installed it my computer starts making that noise after it starts up and eventually it just freezes what should i do? should i go get it repaired or is this a hardware issue?

kshipper

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
The beeping noise on start up sounds like "Post beeps" (Power On Self Test) which points to a hardware problem on startup. What I would do is shut down your machine. Unplug the power cord. Remove the side cover. Remove all the add in cards you have installed, unplug the floppy drive, optical drive and the hard drive . Only leave the graphics card, the memory and the CPU/heatsink installed. Inspect inside the machine. Look for loose screws. Look for missing power connectors to the motherboard. If you are not sure what goes where you need your motherboard manual or you can visit you motherboard manufacturers website and download a copy. Read the manual and inspect as you go. Things like: Is the memory in the correct slot?

When you are ready connect the power cord and switch on. It isn't going to boot to Windows because you have the hard drive removed. However if it boots without a Beep Beep noise you might be on your way to figuring out the problem, or at least what's causing it. Turn it on and off a number of times checking to see if that beep really is gone. It also wouldn't hurt to get into the BIOS setup (usually F2 or Delete key) and poke around looking for settings that are incorrect. If you are not sure what to change or set, just find the spot where you can "Load Bios Defaults" and do that since the defaults will mostly correct any incorrect BIOS settings (if there were any). Continue to shut down and restart looking to see if the Beeps are gone.

If the beeps are gone start adding hardware slowy by unplugging the power cord and wait 1 min before connecting the next piece of hardware. Start with the hard drive. Connect the power cord. Power up and do the same boot up and shut off several times to see if the post beeps return. At some point you will have all your hardware connected again and you will hear the post beeps that indicate a problem with the very last component you added. You will know which component is causing the grief then. =)

If you really want to know about Post Beeps you can look them up in the motherboard manual. My guess is it is either RAM needs to be re-seated or video card needs to be re-seated or power supply is too small or not connected to everything it needs to be connected to. (but it's just a guess).