Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Memory using DVD Player

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
a b } Memory
February 17, 2005 9:53:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I have 103GB free and 128MB memory. I have started to use DVD drive to grab
pictures from home movies on the DVD, using the screenshot method. Everything
slows down and a message that Virtual memory is being re-allocated appears.
What is the recommend amount of memory that I should have to avoid this
situation? Thanks for help along this line.

More about : memory dvd player

Anonymous
a b } Memory
February 17, 2005 11:13:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I recommend 512mb, but if you are only able to add memory in 128 or 256mb
increments, then 384mb will certainly improve things. If you do not know
how many memory cards are already in your computer, remove the left side
panel and look. See how many slots are open.

Navigate to a site like http://www.4allmemory.com/ which has a memory
configurator and can give you your options based on your computer model.

When it comes to memory, more is better. 512mb will lessen the load on your
hard drive as the system relies less on virtual memory.

Mark Minasi gives this advice about memory: "If you turn on the computer
and the lights don't dim, add memory." :) 

--
Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
(Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
"Breadstick" <Breadstick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:26A1C48C-8151-4021-9B79-E12337055603@microsoft.com...
>I have 103GB free and 128MB memory. I have started to use DVD drive to grab
> pictures from home movies on the DVD, using the screenshot method.
> Everything
> slows down and a message that Virtual memory is being re-allocated
> appears.
> What is the recommend amount of memory that I should have to avoid this
> situation? Thanks for help along this line.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
February 18, 2005 1:25:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

That's not an easy question to answer. And you'll get a different opinion
from any one that answers.
Facts:
1) Most of what you see floating around the internet with regard 'tweaking'
VM is bogus. It's really hard to squash bad information especially when it's
being pushed by people that should know better.
2) The maximum size of a single pagefile is 4G with win32.
3) The one thing that will constrain performance and cause premature system
throttle is setting the page max too small.
4) The critical factor that controls pagefile fragmentation is the minimum
value.
5) Attempting to control the minimum size without over committing HD space
in order to avoid adding pagefile extents is an ongoing thing. As usage
habits change, so does space requirements in the pagefile.

If you want to avoid pagefile resizing and don't care about chewing up HD
space, then set the min and max to 4G. Otherwise set the pagefile to system
controlled and don't worry about it.

--
Walter Clayton
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.


"Breadstick" <Breadstick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:26A1C48C-8151-4021-9B79-E12337055603@microsoft.com...
>I have 103GB free and 128MB memory. I have started to use DVD drive to grab
> pictures from home movies on the DVD, using the screenshot method.
> Everything
> slows down and a message that Virtual memory is being re-allocated
> appears.
> What is the recommend amount of memory that I should have to avoid this
> situation? Thanks for help along this line.
Related resources
February 18, 2005 8:18:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

"Breadstick" <Breadstick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:26A1C48C-8151-4021-9B79-E12337055603@microsoft.com...
> I have 103GB free and 128MB memory. I have started to use DVD drive to
grab
> pictures from home movies on the DVD, using the screenshot method.
Everything
> slows down and a message that Virtual memory is being re-allocated
appears.
> What is the recommend amount of memory that I should have to avoid this
> situation? Thanks for help along this line.
It will run lots faster with more RAM (256MB at least). However, you might
still get the message if you overcontrol the pagefile size. Just let
Windows do that.
Jim
Anonymous
a b } Memory
February 18, 2005 10:55:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Thanks, I will check that out. Good information.

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> I recommend 512mb, but if you are only able to add memory in 128 or 256mb
> increments, then 384mb will certainly improve things. If you do not know
> how many memory cards are already in your computer, remove the left side
> panel and look. See how many slots are open.
>
> Navigate to a site like http://www.4allmemory.com/ which has a memory
> configurator and can give you your options based on your computer model.
>
> When it comes to memory, more is better. 512mb will lessen the load on your
> hard drive as the system relies less on virtual memory.
>
> Mark Minasi gives this advice about memory: "If you turn on the computer
> and the lights don't dim, add memory." :) 
>
> --
> Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
> (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
> "Breadstick" <Breadstick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:26A1C48C-8151-4021-9B79-E12337055603@microsoft.com...
> >I have 103GB free and 128MB memory. I have started to use DVD drive to grab
> > pictures from home movies on the DVD, using the screenshot method.
> > Everything
> > slows down and a message that Virtual memory is being re-allocated
> > appears.
> > What is the recommend amount of memory that I should have to avoid this
> > situation? Thanks for help along this line.
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b } Memory
February 18, 2005 10:59:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Walter: I really appreciate your detailed reply. Sounds good! Thanks.

"Walter Clayton" wrote:

> That's not an easy question to answer. And you'll get a different opinion
> from any one that answers.
> Facts:
> 1) Most of what you see floating around the internet with regard 'tweaking'
> VM is bogus. It's really hard to squash bad information especially when it's
> being pushed by people that should know better.
> 2) The maximum size of a single pagefile is 4G with win32.
> 3) The one thing that will constrain performance and cause premature system
> throttle is setting the page max too small.
> 4) The critical factor that controls pagefile fragmentation is the minimum
> value.
> 5) Attempting to control the minimum size without over committing HD space
> in order to avoid adding pagefile extents is an ongoing thing. As usage
> habits change, so does space requirements in the pagefile.
>
> If you want to avoid pagefile resizing and don't care about chewing up HD
> space, then set the min and max to 4G. Otherwise set the pagefile to system
> controlled and don't worry about it.
>
> --
> Walter Clayton
> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
>
>
> "Breadstick" <Breadstick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:26A1C48C-8151-4021-9B79-E12337055603@microsoft.com...
> >I have 103GB free and 128MB memory. I have started to use DVD drive to grab
> > pictures from home movies on the DVD, using the screenshot method.
> > Everything
> > slows down and a message that Virtual memory is being re-allocated
> > appears.
> > What is the recommend amount of memory that I should have to avoid this
> > situation? Thanks for help along this line.
>
>
Anonymous
a b } Memory
February 18, 2005 11:01:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Jim: Thanks for your concise answer. Good help! Ed

"Jim" wrote:

>
> "Breadstick" <Breadstick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:26A1C48C-8151-4021-9B79-E12337055603@microsoft.com...
> > I have 103GB free and 128MB memory. I have started to use DVD drive to
> grab
> > pictures from home movies on the DVD, using the screenshot method.
> Everything
> > slows down and a message that Virtual memory is being re-allocated
> appears.
> > What is the recommend amount of memory that I should have to avoid this
> > situation? Thanks for help along this line.
> It will run lots faster with more RAM (256MB at least). However, you might
> still get the message if you overcontrol the pagefile size. Just let
> Windows do that.
> Jim
>
>
>
!