Your personal opinion on which vid card?

I just finished building a sweet system and the only left to get is my SLI Vid cards, but I'm not sure which to get.

Here's the rig:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
2 gigs Crucial DDR RAM

I really like the BFG GeForce 7950 GT.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2456679&Sku=B52-7858

Do you guys have any other suggestions? I think its a good budget card, but if you guys think otherwise please let me know. Remember I want SLI cards.

THANKS!
16 answers Last reply
More about your personal opinion card
  1. SLI is a waste of money. Just get a 8800gtx or wait for R600 if you can. With a 8800gtx you will get crazy performance and dx10 capability. Why spend so much on 2 dx9 cards.
  2. wow, thanks for the heads up. I was getting all excited about having SLI :)

What about the GeForce 8800 GTS? Just a smaller version of the GTX?

Thanks!
  3. Quote:
    wow, thanks for the heads up. I was getting all excited about having SLI :)

What about the GeForce 8800 GTS? Just a smaller version of the GTX?

Thanks!

Howdy. The GTX 575/1800mhz 768mb of ram. $590+or-
    The GTS 500/1600mhz and only 640mb of ram. $409+or-

hehe I just said ONLY 640mb of ram. :P Thats the only difference and they will both smoke and glow in the dark. :) Good Luck! :)
  4. Thanks guys!
    I just ordered my 8800 GTX. I'm stoked :)
  5. All right man, have fun with her. :D
  6. Quote:
    All right man, have fun with her. :D

yes... and use protection. she'll burn your pecker off.
  7. haha :lol:
  8. Great choice. Know that gtx also has more unified shaders than gts. It's 128 vs 96. They work in faster frequencies too! Enjoy! 8)
  9. yea i'm happy with my choice, what i didn't know is that it game with the pci-e adapters for the power connectors. before i knew it i bought a new power supply that has two of those pci-e power connectors already on it.

oh well :)
  10. That's less cable mess for you! :wink:
  11. Quote:
    All right man, have fun with her. :D

yes... and use protection. she'll burn your pecker off.

Or grind it up with its fan and annoying whine! :lol:
  12. man you guys are great!

i should have it tomorrow and up and running by tomorrow evening. I'll keep you guys posted on my thoughts about it. I just hope my processor doesn't cause it to bottleneck, ya know? AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

8)
  13. when in doubt overclock it a little bit and yes it will be a minor bottleneck at peak framerates but nothing that you will notice given it will likely be able to render 60FPS+ under any circumstance you care to mention which is more than you can discern and equal to the refresh of LCD's meaning you won't be losing a thing.

p.s. I agree with the rest SLI is a terrible waste of money with criminally shoddy driver support who's creation was a marketing ploy meant for those who simply want without financial concern.
  14. Great! I got my card :D I'm still at the office though so I can't play with it until I get home. I have a n00b question though. Which PCI-e slot to I install it to? The one closest to the onboard device panel (audio, lan, etc) or the one farthest from the onboard device panel? The reason I ask is I already put the manual for the board in the attic and don't fee like digging it out when I get home :) I'm assuming its going to be the first right?

Thanks! :D
  15. I don't think it really matters but I've always installed my video cards in the top PCIe slot just out of leftover habit from the AGP days.
  16. well I got it installed. it runs great! I'll play with it more at home.

my next question is : is there a guide or something for helping me configure the card in the nvidia manager? or should I set everything to let the application handle it? I've never had a card quite this powerful, I wanna make sure I'm benefiting fully from it.

Thanks!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards SLI Graphics