Stop users from being able to Kill Processes

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 28, 2005 8:05:09 PM

Hi,

My users are locked down pretty tight with Group Policies. I have left
them access to the Task Manager simply because often a program will
lock up and they need to use Task Manager to End Task on the program.

However, I have a program that runs in the
HKLM-Software-Microsoft-Windows-CurrentVersion-Run Key and it controls
the users internet access. They have been able to bypass it by killing
the process. As it is listed as running under their account they have
access to killing it.

The only group policy available locks out Task Manager completely and
I would rather not do that.

1> Is there a way to "hide" certain programs from appearing in Task
Manager.

2> Is there a way to hide the Processes Tab.

or

3> Is there a way to prevent regular users from being able to kill
processes like the program?

Thanks

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Stop-users-Ki...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1177713
Anonymous
April 29, 2005 12:01:09 PM

I'd go with 3. If you make it a service, set for "Automatic" the user
shouldn't be able to kill it. From there, you can specify who the program
runs as (me, you, or local system account). Your software may or may not be
able to function in this capacity, but it's worth a shot.

Create Windows Services
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...

How To Create a User-Defined Service

HTH

Ken

"lforbes" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My users are locked down pretty tight with Group Policies. I have left
> them access to the Task Manager simply because often a program will
> lock up and they need to use Task Manager to End Task on the program.
>
> However, I have a program that runs in the
> HKLM-Software-Microsoft-Windows-CurrentVersion-Run Key and it controls
> the users internet access. They have been able to bypass it by killing
> the process. As it is listed as running under their account they have
> access to killing it.
>
> The only group policy available locks out Task Manager completely and
> I would rather not do that.
>
> 1> Is there a way to "hide" certain programs from appearing in Task
> Manager.
>
> 2> Is there a way to hide the Processes Tab.
>
> or
>
> 3> Is there a way to prevent regular users from being able to kill
> processes like the program?
>
> Thanks
>
> Lara

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Stop-users-Ki...
April 29, 2005 6:38:11 PM

"Ken B2" wrote:
> I'd go with 3. If you make it a service, set for "Automatic"
> the user
> shouldn't be able to kill it. From there, you can specify who
> the program
> runs as (me, you, or local system account). Your software may
> or may not be
> able to function in this capacity, but it's worth a shot.
>
> Create Windows Services
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...
>
> How To Create a User-Defined Service
>
> HTH
>
> Ken
>
> "lforbes" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > My users are locked down pretty tight with Group Policies. I
> have left
> > them access to the Task Manager simply because often a
> program will
> > lock up and they need to use Task Manager to End Task on the
> program.
> >
> > However, I have a program that runs in the
> > HKLM-Software-Microsoft-Windows-CurrentVersion-Run Key and
> it controls
> > the users internet access. They have been able to bypass it
> by killing
> > the process. As it is listed as running under their account
> they have
> > access to killing it.
> >
> > The only group policy available locks out Task Manager
> completely and
> > I would rather not do that.
> >
> > 1> Is there a way to "hide" certain programs from
> appearing in Task
> > Manager.
> >
> > 2> Is there a way to hide the Processes Tab.
> >
> > or
> >
> > 3> Is there a way to prevent regular users from being
> able to kill
> > processes like the program?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Lara
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> > request
> standards
> > Topic URL:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Stop-users-Ki...
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
> abuse:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1177713

Hi,

Yes, I unfortunately tried that but the service wouldn’t start. I have
got an email into the company for a fix.

Cheers,

Lara

http://www.usenet.com
May 2, 2005 11:49:38 AM

Weird question... what software package is it you're working with?

Ken

"lforbes" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> "Ken B2" wrote:
> > I'd go with 3. If you make it a service, set for "Automatic"
> > the user
> > shouldn't be able to kill it. From there, you can specify who
> > the program
> > runs as (me, you, or local system account). Your software may
> > or may not be
> > able to function in this capacity, but it's worth a shot.
> >
> > Create Windows Services
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...
> >
> > How To Create a User-Defined Service
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=137890
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Ken
> >
> > "lforbes" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > My users are locked down pretty tight with Group Policies. I
> > have left
> > > them access to the Task Manager simply because often a
> > program will
> > > lock up and they need to use Task Manager to End Task on the
> > program.
> > >
> > > However, I have a program that runs in the
> > > HKLM-Software-Microsoft-Windows-CurrentVersion-Run Key and
> > it controls
> > > the users internet access. They have been able to bypass it
> > by killing
> > > the process. As it is listed as running under their account
> > they have
> > > access to killing it.
> > >
> > > The only group policy available locks out Task Manager
> > completely and
> > > I would rather not do that.
> > >
> > > 1> Is there a way to "hide" certain programs from
> > appearing in Task
> > > Manager.
> > >
> > > 2> Is there a way to hide the Processes Tab.
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > > 3> Is there a way to prevent regular users from being
> > able to kill
> > > processes like the program?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Lara
> > >
> > > --
> > > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> > > request
> > > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet
> > standards
> > > Topic URL:
> > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Stop-users-Ki...
> > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
> > abuse:
> > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1177713
>
> Hi,
>
> Yes, I unfortunately tried that but the service wouldn't start. I have
> got an email into the company for a fix.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Lara

> http://www.usenet.com
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 6:30:10 PM

"Ken B2" wrote:
> [...]
>   > > > Posted using the
> http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
>   > > > request
>   > > > Articles individually checked for
> conformance to usenet
>  > > standards
>   > > > Topic URL:
>   > > >
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Stop-users-Ki...
>   > > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg.
> req'd). Report
>  > > abuse:
>   > > >
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Yes, I unfortunately tried that but the service wouldn't
> start. I have
> > got an email into the company for a fix.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Lara
> >
> > Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
> > ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **

Hi,

The Software is called Aristoclass by Minicom. It is actually great
when it works. It allows remote control of any workstation, the
ability to restart computers, lock them out, log them off, black
screen them, control IE access etc. It is great for a lab environment
which is what I administer.

Cheers,

Lara

http://www.usenet.com