Stop users from being able to Kill Processes

Hi,

My users are locked down pretty tight with Group Policies. I have left
them access to the Task Manager simply because often a program will
lock up and they need to use Task Manager to End Task on the program.

However, I have a program that runs in the
HKLM-Software-Microsoft-Windows-CurrentVersion-Run Key and it controls
the users internet access. They have been able to bypass it by killing
the process. As it is listed as running under their account they have
access to killing it.

The only group policy available locks out Task Manager completely and
I would rather not do that.

1> Is there a way to "hide" certain programs from appearing in Task
Manager.

2> Is there a way to hide the Processes Tab.

or

3> Is there a way to prevent regular users from being able to kill
processes like the program?

Thanks

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Stop-users-Kill-Processes-ftopict365363.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1177713
4 answers Last reply
More about stop users kill processes

    I'd go with 3. If you make it a service, set for "Automatic" the user
    shouldn't be able to kill it. From there, you can specify who the program
    runs as (me, you, or local system account). Your software may or may not be
    able to function in this capacity, but it's worth a shot.

    Create Windows Services
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvsm01/html/vs0112dt.asp

    How To Create a User-Defined Service

    HTH

    Ken

    "Ken B2" wrote:
    > I'd go with 3. If you make it a service, set for "Automatic"
    > the user
    > shouldn't be able to kill it. From there, you can specify who
    > the program
    > runs as (me, you, or local system account). Your software may
    > or may not be
    > able to function in this capacity, but it's worth a shot.
    >
    > Create Windows Services
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvsm01/html/vs0112dt.asp
    >
    > How To Create a User-Defined Service
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Ken
    >
    > "lforbes" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > My users are locked down pretty tight with Group Policies. I
    > have left
    > > them access to the Task Manager simply because often a
    > program will
    > > lock up and they need to use Task Manager to End Task on the
    > program.
    > >
    > > However, I have a program that runs in the
    > > HKLM-Software-Microsoft-Windows-CurrentVersion-Run Key and
    > it controls
    > > the users internet access. They have been able to bypass it
    > by killing
    > > the process. As it is listed as running under their account
    > they have
    > > access to killing it.
    > >
    > > The only group policy available locks out Task Manager
    > completely and
    > > I would rather not do that.
    > >
    > > 1> Is there a way to "hide" certain programs from
    > appearing in Task
    > > Manager.
    > >
    > > 2> Is there a way to hide the Processes Tab.
    > >
    > > or
    > >
    > > 3> Is there a way to prevent regular users from being
    > able to kill
    > > processes like the program?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Lara
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
    > > request
    > standards
    > > Topic URL:
    > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Stop-users-Kill-Processes-ftopict365363.html
    > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
    > abuse:
    > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1177713

    Hi,

    Yes, I unfortunately tried that but the service wouldn’t start. I have
    got an email into the company for a fix.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    http://www.usenet.com

    Weird question... what software package is it you're working with?

    Ken

    "Ken B2" wrote:
> [...]
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
    >   > > > request
    >   > > > Articles individually checked for
    > conformance to usenet
    >  > > standards
    >   > > > Topic URL:
    >   > > >
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Stop-users-Kill-Processes-ftopict365363.html
    >   > > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg.
    > req'd). Report
    >  > > abuse:
    >   > > >
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Yes, I unfortunately tried that but the service wouldn't
    > start. I have
    > > got an email into the company for a fix.
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > Lara
    > >
    > > Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
    > > ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **

    Hi,

    The Software is called Aristoclass by Minicom. It is actually great
    when it works. It allows remote control of any workstation, the
    ability to restart computers, lock them out, log them off, black
    screen them, control IE access etc. It is great for a lab environment
    which is what I administer.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    http://www.usenet.com