Sign in with
Your question

Windows doesn't want to boot on this P5B with SATA

Last response: in Motherboards
January 29, 2007 2:01:14 AM

I tried using a SATA drive as a primary drive. My P5B Deluxe boots to the cd drive, detects the hard drive, it'll format the hdd and copy the files it needs, does that all just fine (though there is quite a delay when pressing enter to setup windows to read the hdd). Then it'll reboot like it should and it's supposed to be able to boot to the hdd...WRONG. It'll boot to the cd drive again, but that's normal, the boot order is that way. If I manually set it to hdd the computer will post and such, then when it comes to booting the HDD it'll just restart, and keep looping. I have no idea what's going on, the sata drives are set in IDE mode.

When I tried using a IDE hard drive, windows would install and the hard drive would actually boot, and when inside windows it'll read my sata drive too, and i can store to it and everything. I don't know why my motherboard is having such a hard time booting to SATA drives, both JMicron and the ICH8R controllers do the same thing to the drive.

More about : windows boot p5b sata

January 29, 2007 1:38:33 PM

Is your SATA drive plugged into one of the RED Intel ports? Those are the boot ports.

Under IDE config on the first BIOS page, is it set to IDE (I assume you want to run IDE, not AHCI/RAID) with that drive?

Then check the boot order again in BIOS if you make a change.

Don't try the Jmicron port. It just sucks.
January 29, 2007 7:48:48 PM

Yeah, it's in SATA1, the first red port. It's set to IDE mode and if the boot is set to the cd rom drive it'll just keep loading windows setup (when it's with an ide drive it'll say "press any key to boot from cd"), and if I manually set it to boot to the hdd it'll just keep rebooting when it tries to boot it up. I can guarantee the drive isn't bad, it works in other computers. It's also strange that when I have the ide hard drive in along with the sata drive it'll also prevent the ide hard drive from loading.
Related resources
February 3, 2007 5:44:53 PM

Simple.

P5B has ICH8 whereas the driver supplied and available is for ICH8R.
If you set SATA to AHCI in BIOS and want to install windows.
Go the P5B forum at www.asus.com, and find the thread about this problem.
Some guy modified the driver and posted the file contents on the forum. That's what I'm using currently. Works like a charm.
February 4, 2007 1:23:10 PM

Well, if you can, try a different SATA drive. It just doesn't display anything, and keeps rebooting?

You don't need the AHCI drivers, you are welcome to try, but if it doesn't boot in IDE mode, it is probably not going to boot in AHCI either.

The one thing you can also try is to use the XP install disc, and use the "Repair my computer" option, this will try to fix the boot sector.

You will have to try a different SATA to eliminate the hard drive as the culprit, and if that doesn't work then I would RMA the board.
!