Weapon (especially longbow) Questions

I have a few questions about AD&D (3rd edition) weapon stats in general and
longbows in particular that I hope someone can answer for me.

What does "Base Critical Threats" mean? If it is "3x", does that mean an
18, 19 or 20 on d20 is a critical hit? What exactly is a critical hit?
Does it kill outright, stun or what?

I've come across three magical longbows: Elven Court, Northwind and Longarm.
Elven Court is an attack +3, mighty +3. Northwind is the same but has the
added benefit of resist cold 20/-. What does the "mighty +3 mean? What
does the "20/-" stat mean for resist cold?

Longarm is attack +2, enhanced STR +2, extra ranged damage bludgeoning.
Does that mean that Longarm is a +2 attack, +2 damage bow?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb. It's been over twenty years since I
played D&D.

Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about weapon especially longbow questions

    Soldier Boy wrote:
    > I have a few questions about AD&D (3rd edition) weapon stats in general and
    > longbows in particular that I hope someone can answer for me.
    >
    > What does "Base Critical Threats" mean? If it is "3x", does that mean an
    > 18, 19 or 20 on d20 is a critical hit?

    No. It means triple damage on a critical hit.

    > What exactly is a critical hit?

    It multiplies the damage done by...something. Precisely what depends on
    the number in front of the x. :-)

    > I've come across three magical longbows: Elven Court, Northwind and Longarm.
    > Elven Court is an attack +3, mighty +3. Northwind is the same but has the
    > added benefit of resist cold 20/-. What does the "mighty +3 mean?

    It means you can add up to 3 points worth of your Strength bonus to
    damage done with arrows shot from that bow. So if you're using it and
    you have a Strength of 10, the Mighty feature does nothing. If you're
    using it and you have a Strength of 12, you add one point of damage. If
    you're using it and you have a Strength of 16 or higher, you add three
    points of damage.

    > What
    > does the "20/-" stat mean for resist cold?

    It means anything that inflicts cold damage on you is reduced by 20
    points while you have it equipped. So if a winter wolf breathes on you
    for 12 points of damage, you're unhurt. If a white dragon breathes on
    you for 50 points of damage, you take 30 points.

    > Longarm is attack +2, enhanced STR +2, extra ranged damage bludgeoning.
    > Does that mean that Longarm is a +2 attack, +2 damage bow?

    No. It doesn't specify how much extra ranged damage there is, only the
    type (bludgeoning). It's attack +2, and while you have it equipped your
    Strength is raised by 2.

    "Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > Soldier Boy wrote:
    >> I have a few questions about AD&D (3rd edition) weapon stats in general
    >> and longbows in particular that I hope someone can answer for me.
    >>
    >> What does "Base Critical Threats" mean? If it is "3x", does that mean an
    >> 18, 19 or 20 on d20 is a critical hit?
    >
    > No. It means triple damage on a critical hit.
    >
    >> What exactly is a critical hit?
    >
    > It multiplies the damage done by...something. Precisely what depends on
    > the number in front of the x. :-)
    >
    >> I've come across three magical longbows: Elven Court, Northwind and
    >> Longarm. Elven Court is an attack +3, mighty +3. Northwind is the same
    >> but has the added benefit of resist cold 20/-. What does the "mighty +3
    >> mean?
    >
    > It means you can add up to 3 points worth of your Strength bonus to damage
    > done with arrows shot from that bow. So if you're using it and you have a
    > Strength of 10, the Mighty feature does nothing. If you're using it and
    > you have a Strength of 12, you add one point of damage. If you're using
    > it and you have a Strength of 16 or higher, you add three points of
    > damage.
    >
    >> What does the "20/-" stat mean for resist cold?
    >
    > It means anything that inflicts cold damage on you is reduced by 20 points
    > while you have it equipped. So if a winter wolf breathes on you for 12
    > points of damage, you're unhurt. If a white dragon breathes on you for 50
    > points of damage, you take 30 points.
    >
    >> Longarm is attack +2, enhanced STR +2, extra ranged damage bludgeoning.
    >> Does that mean that Longarm is a +2 attack, +2 damage bow?
    >
    > No. It doesn't specify how much extra ranged damage there is, only the
    > type (bludgeoning). It's attack +2, and while you have it equipped your
    > Strength is raised by 2.

    I have another question if you don't mind. What does "Keen" do?

    Thanks again.

    On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 23:30:55 -0500, "Soldier Boy" <007@james.bond>
    wrote:

    >I have a few questions about AD&D (3rd edition) weapon stats in general and
    >longbows in particular that I hope someone can answer for me.
    >
    >What does "Base Critical Threats" mean? If it is "3x", does that mean an
    >18, 19 or 20 on d20 is a critical hit? What exactly is a critical hit?
    >Does it kill outright, stun or what?

    No. x3 on a critical means that you do 3x normal damage on a
    critical hit.

    >I've come across three magical longbows: Elven Court, Northwind and Longarm.
    >Elven Court is an attack +3, mighty +3. Northwind is the same but has the
    >added benefit of resist cold 20/-. What does the "mighty +3 mean? What
    >does the "20/-" stat mean for resist cold?

    Mighty +3 means that you can use 3 points of strength bonus when
    using the bow.

    The 20/- resist cold means it resists the first twenty points of
    cold damage no matter what the source. It doesn't really make sense
    to express it as 20/- instead of just 20 but that's how damage
    resistances are expressed and apparently someone wasn't too careful
    programming. With damage resistance the second item is what gets past
    the damage resistance.

    >Longarm is attack +2, enhanced STR +2, extra ranged damage bludgeoning.
    >Does that mean that Longarm is a +2 attack, +2 damage bow?

    I'm not sure what it's describing.

    >Sorry if these questions seem dumb. It's been over twenty years since I
    >played D&D.

    Then you haven't played with the 3E rules anyway, a lot of the
    notations have changed.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 03:37:17 -0500, "Soldier Boy" <007@james.bond>
    wrote:

    >I have another question if you don't mind. What does "Keen" do?

    Doubles the critical threat range.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Soldier Boy wrote:
    > "Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Soldier Boy wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a few questions about AD&D (3rd edition) weapon stats in general
    >>>and longbows in particular that I hope someone can answer for me.
    >>>
    >>>What does "Base Critical Threats" mean? If it is "3x", does that mean an
    >>>18, 19 or 20 on d20 is a critical hit?
    >>
    >>No. It means triple damage on a critical hit.
    >>

    >>> What exactly is a critical hit?
    >>
    >>It multiplies the damage done by...something. Precisely what depends on
    >>the number in front of the x. :-)
    >>

    >>>I've come across three magical longbows: Elven Court, Northwind and
    >>>Longarm. Elven Court is an attack +3, mighty +3. Northwind is the same
    >>>but has the added benefit of resist cold 20/-. What does the "mighty +3
    >>>mean?
    >>
    >>It means you can add up to 3 points worth of your Strength bonus to damage
    >>done with arrows shot from that bow. So if you're using it and you have a
    >>Strength of 10, the Mighty feature does nothing. If you're using it and
    >>you have a Strength of 12, you add one point of damage. If you're using
    >>it and you have a Strength of 16 or higher, you add three points of
    >>damage.
    >>

    >>> What does the "20/-" stat mean for resist cold?
    >>
    >>It means anything that inflicts cold damage on you is reduced by 20 points
    >>while you have it equipped. So if a winter wolf breathes on you for 12
    >>points of damage, you're unhurt. If a white dragon breathes on you for 50
    >>points of damage, you take 30 points.
    >>

    >>>Longarm is attack +2, enhanced STR +2, extra ranged damage bludgeoning.
    >>>Does that mean that Longarm is a +2 attack, +2 damage bow?
    >>
    >>No. It doesn't specify how much extra ranged damage there is, only the
    >>type (bludgeoning). It's attack +2, and while you have it equipped your
    >>Strength is raised by 2.
    >

    > I have another question if you don't mind. What does "Keen" do?
    >
    > Thanks again.

    Hi,
    Keen doubles the critical for a weapon, so, for example, a weapon with
    19-20 critical becomes 17-20.
    CS

    --

    Take the piss to mail me.
    (For those that want to know who the

    Kish wrote:

    >>What does the "mighty +3 mean?
    >

    > It means you can add up to 3 points worth of your Strength bonus to
    > damage done with arrows shot from that bow.

    I use the Crossbow of Affliction, so that means I get an extra +2 damage
    on each bolt I fire? (My STR is 15.)
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Keen doubles the threat range of a weapon.
    Normally you require a natural roll within the weapons threat range eg
    19 or 20 for a longsword; followed by a second roll that just has to hit
    the target. A keen longsord has a threat range of 17-20.

    Kharsis

    Soldier Boy wrote:
    > "Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Soldier Boy wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a few questions about AD&D (3rd edition) weapon stats in general
    >>>and longbows in particular that I hope someone can answer for me.
    >>>
    >>>What does "Base Critical Threats" mean? If it is "3x", does that mean an
    >>>18, 19 or 20 on d20 is a critical hit?
    >>
    >>No. It means triple damage on a critical hit.
    >>

    >>> What exactly is a critical hit?
    >>
    >>It multiplies the damage done by...something. Precisely what depends on
    >>the number in front of the x. :-)
    >>

    >>>I've come across three magical longbows: Elven Court, Northwind and
    >>>Longarm. Elven Court is an attack +3, mighty +3. Northwind is the same
    >>>but has the added benefit of resist cold 20/-. What does the "mighty +3
    >>>mean?
    >>
    >>It means you can add up to 3 points worth of your Strength bonus to damage
    >>done with arrows shot from that bow. So if you're using it and you have a
    >>Strength of 10, the Mighty feature does nothing. If you're using it and
    >>you have a Strength of 12, you add one point of damage. If you're using
    >>it and you have a Strength of 16 or higher, you add three points of
    >>damage.
    >>

    >>> What does the "20/-" stat mean for resist cold?
    >>
    >>It means anything that inflicts cold damage on you is reduced by 20 points
    >>while you have it equipped. So if a winter wolf breathes on you for 12
    >>points of damage, you're unhurt. If a white dragon breathes on you for 50
    >>points of damage, you take 30 points.
    >>

    >>>Longarm is attack +2, enhanced STR +2, extra ranged damage bludgeoning.
    >>>Does that mean that Longarm is a +2 attack, +2 damage bow?
    >>
    >>No. It doesn't specify how much extra ranged damage there is, only the
    >>type (bludgeoning). It's attack +2, and while you have it equipped your
    >>Strength is raised by 2.
    >

    > I have another question if you don't mind. What does "Keen" do?
    >
    > Thanks again.

  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    To expand a bit more on what Kish has explained:

    "Kish" wrote:PPxqd.51327$QJ3.41412@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
    > Soldier Boy wrote:
    >> I have a few questions about AD&D (3rd edition) weapon stats in
    general

    >> What exactly is a critical hit?
    >
    > It multiplies the damage done by...something. Precisely what depends on
    > the number in front of the x. :-)

    Looking at your weapon statistics, you'll see a threat range and/or
    critical hit multiplier. For a (standard) longsword, you will see a
    threat range of 19-20 (usually shown as 19-20/2x) and multiplier of2x;
    for a longbow, you'll just see the multiplier 3x.

    So a longsword "threatens" on an unmodified roll of 19 or 20 (if the
    19 is sufficient to actually hit, of course). If you roll a 19 or 20,
    you roll again to see if you hit again. If you hit again, you get
    double damage (some damage, such as from sneak attacks, is not
    supposed to be doubled).

    When there is just a multiplier, you threaten only on a roll of 20.
    In the case of the longbow, a critical hit would do triple damage.

    For extra crunchy, get a keen weapon and the Improved Critical feat
    with that weapon :-)

    >> What does the "20/-" stat mean for resist cold?
    >
    > It means anything that inflicts cold damage on you is reduced by 20 points
    > while you have it equipped. So if a winter wolf breathes on you for 12
    > points of damage, you're unhurt. If a white dragon breathes on you for 50
    > points of damage, you take 30 points.

    The first number indicates the amount of damage that is
    resisted/reduced. The second number, when there is one, shows what
    can bypass the damage reduction. So, if you get armor that says
    "10/+1", this means that you avoid the first 10 points of physical
    damage unless they have the equivalent of a +1 weapon or better. When
    there is a dash - there is no way to bypass that damage reduction. In
    the case of "20/-" the first 20 points of cold damage is always
    resisted.

Games Video Games