Poll :Faster and better hard drive, excluding Raptor

Which company makes the faster and better hard drive?

• Seagate

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Western Digital

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters

XrayMan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2005
After voting, please explain why you voted for that one! This will help me make my decision. Thanks! P.S. : (Please don't include the Raptor in your decision).

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006
Why i choose Seagate?

It is backed by 5 years warranty. In fact, i never have a single failed hd from seagate. Three of my wd crashed in less than 1 year.

Take care.

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Never, ever by a Maxtor.... I know they have been bought out, just wanted to get that on record...

Actually, the Samsungs have been impressive of late, cheap and fast.

I like the 5 year Seagate warranty however, although I don't know how much of that is to reassure all the former Maxtor customers worried that Seagate will get contaminated by bad quality as the absorb Maxtor.

Did I mention that Maxtor drives suck?

XrayMan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2005
Thanks for the advice The_Vorlon. Its too late for my wifes comp. She has a Maxtor and it started making noises a few days ago. So no, i won't get Maxtor anymore. I know they don't last. A friend of mine recently bought the Seagate 500gb, sata 2 with ncq. He will let me know what he thinks of the drive next weekend when he builds his comp.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
WD Near Line drives. Designed for 24/7 operation, 1 Million hours MTBF, 5 year warranty.

Lets see, if I RAID0 them that cuts my MTBF down to 500,000 hours, bummer. 8)

XrayMan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2005
I thought the Seagates were the ones with the 5 year warranty, and the Western Digitals had a 3 year warranty only? When i went to the stores, this is what i was told. HMM.....

GrimReaperGuy

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
My votes in for the perpendicular Seagates. Slap a pair of those in RAID1 (oh no I lost half my storage space! What a bummer at AU$0.40-50 a gigabyte), and you've got yourself great fastitude. It isn't a word, but it should be, if only for this occasion.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
It's model specific.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=250

My votes in for the perpendicular Seagates. Slap a pair of those in RAID1 (oh no I lost half my storage space! What a bummer at AU$0.40-50 a gigabyte), and you've got yourself great fastitude. It isn't a word, but it should be, if only for this occasion.

Actually RAID1 is slower because it has to write the same thing to each drive. You gain better reliability. Which is nice for those who don't have NAS or tape or DVDRW or a fireproof safe to keep the hardcode in or and offsite location where you do them and they do you. But if you *do* have all the above it just seems a bit, I don't know, paranoid maybe? :twisted:

XrayMan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2005
So, am i correct by saying that SOME Western Digitals have a 5 year warranty, while ALL Seagates have a 5 year warranty? Also is Seagate more confident in their drives by offering a better warranty?