REALLY high temps on 6800 GT (NV45)

Mr_Bluntman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
I'm getting temps of about 92c when under full load (running FarCry w/HDR + 8x AF). I know these cards are supposed to run hot but damn. Is the stock cooling okay or should I replace it with a Zalman?

FYI the card is not overclocked and has ample ventilation, is cleaned reguarily and not clogged with dust. I use that RadioShack heatsink paste when remounting the heatsinks after cleaning.

XrayMan

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2005
When i bought my 6800gt awhile back i also noticed that it was getting hot. So i got the Zalman fan and the temps went down by about 10 degrees. Right now its at 48 celcius.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I'm getting temps of about 92c when under full load (running FarCry w/HDR + 8x AF). I know these cards are supposed to run hot but damn. Is the stock cooling okay or should I replace it with a Zalman?

FYI the card is not overclocked and has ample ventilation, is cleaned reguarily and not clogged with dust. I use that RadioShack heatsink paste when remounting the heatsinks after cleaning.

92 should be fine, you should start to worry when you get crashs/artifacts.

licious

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
I have a 6800XT 350MHz core and 1000MHz mem, it runs really hot, but I have yet to see any artifacts or anything like that, even when I crank 3dMark 06 all the way up. I would have loved to put an after market cooler on it but XFX (for some god forsaken reason) does not use the standard mounting holes so nothing fits it, arctic cooling, thermaltake, zalman, etc etc.

So, for the time being, I love my mini flux capacitor.

Mr_Bluntman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
That's wierd. I've got the standard-issue mounting holes on my card...
As for quantumsheep's post, it may be fine but still those temps make me uncomfortable. I've known CPUs to fry once they've gotten that hot after extended periods of use (which is what I'm concerned about - extended use).

If I were to couple this with a 3.6GHz Prescott I would have no need for a space heater (donations anyone?).

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
That's wierd. I've got the standard-issue mounting holes on my card...
As for quantumsheep's post, it may be fine but still those temps make me uncomfortable. I've known CPUs to fry once they've gotten that hot after extended periods of use (which is what I'm concerned about - extended use).

If I were to couple this with a 3.6GHz Prescott I would have no need for a space heater (donations anyone?).

Or even better, my old D805 that i had clocked at 4ghz!