Can't get Gigabit speed from Raid to PC

chemeguy

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
I am trying to speed up file transfers between my PC and a Buffalo Terastation Raid 5. I changed the switch to a D-Link Gigabit Switch DGS-2205 and hooked up my PC through D-Link Gigabit PCI adapter DGE-530T and removed the old 10/100 hardware. I also connected the Buffalo Terastation and the link/act light indicates 1000Mbps connection. But the transfer speeds I am getting are about 10-11MB/sec which is similar to what I was getting with the previous 10/100 hardware.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I am missing here?

Thanks,

chemeguy

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
It turns out the Buffalo Terastation has a gigabit ethernet port but cannot perform at gigabit speeds but more like 100Mbps. When I asked their tech support about this, they said that is expected performance and the tech said the gigabit port was just "marketing fluff" and he has no say.

I'm trying to decide what to do about this now. Thanks both of you for your suggestions.

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
That's what I thought (fakegigabit (tm)), but I thought it'd be better to put the question to them and get a reply. Too bad they couldn't give you any help whatsoever -- such as trying jumbo frames perhaps? Does this device support it? Sometimes you can squeeze a little bit more out of such devices by turning on jumbo frames.

You'd need to turn it on the device itself, and on your network card, and set MTU to 9000 or whatever in the registry. Your switch should already support jumbo frames.

There are a couple of consumer NAS devices that perform somewhat better -- e.g. Thecus N5200, but it's not cheap, and a properly-done DIY server can give better performance.