Sign in with
Your question

Hiper Opinion

Last response: in Components
January 29, 2007 7:08:37 AM

Right I just ordered parts for a new rig including a Hiper Modular 580W Type-R PSU. Now while I was researching about parts reviews seemed to suggest this was a very good unit however I was on some other forums that were dead set against them and I was shown one review which was quite critical of it as well.

So what are your guys opinions of them? What have you heard and what are your personal experiences?

More about : hiper opinion

January 29, 2007 8:40:00 AM

I don't think the power of the Hiper will be a problem, I'm more concerned with the overall quality. I've read a lot of positive reviews of the thing then I was pointed towards this: http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=26

That along with a few people telling me to stay away from the thing got me wondering.

Anyways my specs are:
C2D E6600
EVGA 680i Motherboard
XFX 8800GTS
OCZ 2x1GB DDR2 800 Platinum
160GB Sata Wester Digital HD
Samsung SATA DVD/RW
Zalman 9700-LED CPU fan
Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case w/ 3x120mm Fans
January 29, 2007 8:44:47 AM

I've had mine since April last year and it's been v good, until a few days ago that is.

I'm building a PC for my friend and had a mobo, cpu, ram and gfx laid out for him, used my PSU to boot up and everything was fine. Then I switched my PSU back to my components, plugged the power lead in and *BANG* loud noise, smoke, burning smell the whole lot.

Funnily enough the PSU still works after whatever blew up blew up, but I sent it back as I didn't want to damage any components.

Other than that, V good :) 
Related resources
January 29, 2007 10:16:31 AM

Ahh, crumbs. I thought it was only the GTX with the crazy power requirements so I didn't check up on the GTS. Could you tell me how exactly I should go about thinking of the amp's needed then. I now know the GTS should be drawing 26amps what else draws from the 12v rails?
January 29, 2007 10:48:50 AM

Yeh, I just saw that and I'm running through it trying to find one I should get. Looks like I shall be spending a little more money though.

Right now I'm just reading up on:
Zalman ZM600
Corsair 620 HX
Enermax Liberty 620

My order for the Hiper hasn't been dispatched yet so I might be able to change it befoe it ships.
January 29, 2007 11:24:43 AM

Thanks for all your help guys, you saved me from a big mistake. I have to run off right now so I haven't been able to search for as much information as I'd like to but I'm looking at either the zalman zm 600 or the Corsair 620HX.

Now I'm leaning towards the Zalman but can anyone tell me if I'll run into any problems with that? I noticed 4x12v rails with 16A on each with a total of 42 amps. I don't understand the math but I'll take the reviews word for that!

Just a pity none of the other look as nice as the Hiper :lol: 
Cheers guys.
January 29, 2007 2:54:30 PM

Unforutnatly the Corsair apart from being a little mroe expensive is out of stock at the retailer I ordered the rest of my parts from. I'm really trying to keep everything coming together with the one shipment which I need to alter so I think I'll go with the Zalman.

However will 16A on a rail be enough for the 8800gts and if not can the PSU use multimple rails to power the graphics card?

Sorry to keep going on with this, hehe.
January 29, 2007 3:28:13 PM

Not a bad choice, the Zalman is also an excellent tier2 unit. Check out jonnyguru's detailed review. Excellent marks. The heatpipe is a nice touch.

Higher amps only means better bang-per-buck not better quality.
January 30, 2007 9:00:28 AM

Hey people,

I'm looking to upgrade to a C2D system with 8800GTS at some point. I know that my current Hiper Type-R 580W won't be enough to meet the power requirements. I was looking at the Hiper 730W PSU, but I have a slight problem; I wanted to get a Zalman cooler for some slight overclocking. I'm worried that I won't be able to use the Hiper as the connectors are on the bottom (meaning the Zalman cooler would get in the way). Does anyone know if this is the case? If it's a problem, what would you all say to other 700W+ PSU? I was looking at the possibility of a Thermaltake ToughPower or one of the modular Silverstone's.
January 31, 2007 9:24:32 AM

I checked an online calculator and that came to 680W of power needed. If I only needed 520W, I'd stick with my current 580W Hiper rather than spending money on a new PSU.
January 31, 2007 3:33:15 PM

Yes, I selected a single C2D processor. I suspect the power requirement mainly come from the use of three SATA drives as well as the 8800GTX.
January 31, 2007 4:27:25 PM

Quote:
I don't think the power of the Hiper will be a problem, I'm more concerned with the overall quality. I've read a lot of positive reviews of the thing then I was pointed towards this: http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=26

That along with a few people telling me to stay away from the thing got me wondering.

Anyways my specs are:
C2D E6600
EVGA 680i Motherboard
XFX 8800GTS
OCZ 2x1GB DDR2 800 Platinum
160GB Sata Wester Digital HD
Samsung SATA DVD/RW
Zalman 9700-LED CPU fan
Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case w/ 3x120mm Fans

Heya,
I was gonna get this PSU, and virtually the exact same system, but after reading this thread I have decided against it. I did a little research and in its place I found this http://thermaltech.co.uk/shop/thermaltake-w0104rb-650w-toughpower-p-82.html

- seems pretty good, and is actually a couple of quid cheaper than the Hiper Type R 580w, despite being rated at 650w (i guess you pay for the modular design). It got 85% in Custom PC's PSU grouptest this month, with 96% stability. Over here in the UK, its a bargain,dont know what the cost is like ffor you guys over the pond?

edit - its rated as tier 2 on that link you gave out ( http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088 )
!