7900 GS .... what psu ?

DeViLzzz2007

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I have a system with an Intel Pentium D Processor 805 2.66 Ghz, 52x LG cd-rom drive, 120 GB Western Digital hard drive, EVGA 7900 GS 256 MB pci-e, 1 GB of pny DDR2-5300 or 4300 ram ...... and the Asus P5NSLI motherboard.

Bottom line is with the cheap psu that came with the case it won't let the card run at peak performance as I get msgs saying it is clocking it down to safe levels or whatever. I, at this time, don't have a tremendous amount of money for a psu and don't need something at the moment that would definitely allow me to use the SLI feature on the board in the future ... I just want to use this one card. Also I am Canadian so take that into consideration when looking at pricing and places to order from.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
If you don't want to wait for shipping and an Office Depot is close by, you might want to try this one: http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do...r=200000&N=265468 4294951988&Ne=180&An=browse.

I was looking around for power supplies and was really looking for something relatively quiet with active PFC. This has a decent power rating and reviews are acceptable- plus you can get it NOW.

They have stores in Canada and I'm assuming the price is comparable.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Forgive me.
The guy has one post. He may not know about this.

Well, since the original poster managed to register and create a thread to ask his question, i think it is save to assume that such a person is computer literate enough to use the basic functions the forum provides.

Oh well, no harm done. 8)

DeViLzzz2007

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Hey I did a search or tried to use the search for info about the 7900 GS on here and experiences with psus and the search engine would not work at all ..... also looking at a list is not like hearing it from someone and to hear a response means you are hopefully getting new info. I didn't mean to step on toes .... just trying to get some help with this and it seems real hard to find a psu that doesn't hurt you in the wallet. I am so used to a cheap off the shelf psu working as heck my 6800nu was run off a $50 can crappy psu.

Well, since the original poster managed to register and create a thread to ask his question, i think it is save to assume that such a person is computer literate enough to use the basic functions the forum provides.
/me dreads memories of my corporate helpdesk support days. Yes the win95 days :cry: