Winexit.scr

Hi all,

How can I implement this screensaver enterprise wide through group policy?
I'm not finding anything specific on exactly how to do it. Is there already
a group policy setting (such as the screensaver settings) that can execute
this for each user or must this be configured on each machine? Or is there
some other way? I need to force logoffs for every user in the organization
after 15 minutes of idle time. Any help would be great.

Marsha

i am trying to do the same thing, except for a select group of PCs - not the
whole domain. are you? yes, depending on if this is domain-wide and if your
users are set as local admins or not on their PCs, most of it can be done
from GP. on the DC (or thru GPMC on an XPPro box) in GPO for whatever you're
applying this to (domain or OU), it's in User Configuration/Administrative
Templates/Control Panel/Display. the bottom five settings pertain to screen
savers. also, i think you gotta put the winexit.scr file on the PCs itself,
preferrably (although not required) in c:\windows\system32 folder.

my problem is that the PCs i'm applying this to dont have users set as local
admins, so when i apply winexit.scr and it activates, i get registry errors
cuz they cant write to it, i guess. so from what i've found, i hafta edit
registry keys. havent actually tried it yet...

i'd forgotten more: i heard there was a way to distribute winexit.scr
enterprise-wise, but didnt read into it much cuz didnt apply to my goal
(above). anyway, you'll also find that winexit.scr is configurable to check
'force application termintaion' and an editable message. to apply that, you
need to create a custom ADM file (see mine below) and place it within SYSVOL.
that way, editable winexit.scr settings appear in the GPO. i set the
countdown timer for 5 minutes (300 seconds).

CLASS USER

CATEGORY !!Screen_Saver_Policy

POLICY !!TERMINATE_APPS
KEYNAME "Control Panel\Screen Saver.Logoff"
VALUENAME ForceLogoff
VALUEON "1" VALUEOFF "0"
END POLICY

POLICY !!COUNTDOWN_TIMEOUT
KEYNAME "Control Panel\Screen Saver.Logoff"
VALUENAME CountDownTimer
VALUEON "300"
END POLICY

POLICY !!ENTER_DIALOG_MESSAGE
KEYNAME "Control Panel\Screen Saver.Logoff"
PART !!ENTER_DIALOG_MESSAGE
EDITTEXT
DEFAULT !!DEFAULT_MESSAGE
VALUENAME DialogMessage
END PART
END POLICY
END CATEGORY

[strings]
Screen_Saver_Policy="Winexit.scr Policy settings"
TERMINATE_APPS="Terminate running applications"
COUNTDOWN_TIMEOUT="Enable 5 minute warning logoff notice"
ENTER_DIALOG_MESSAGE="Log-off Warning Message"
DEFAULT_MESSAGE="You are about to be logged out. Press the cancel button to
stop this process."