what system will you be building in 6 months time?

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
With the Delay of Crysis, and Vista being in its infancy (in terms of driver support and service packs) i will be delaying my build for 6 months.

my question is this what would you be looking to build then bearing in mind the extra few months to save up.

im currently thinking

a 45nm intel quad core
latest OC'ing mobo (1333Mhz?)
r600 v2 or 8900gts (which ever better at the time)
possibly PC 8000 Ram
Raptor drive
2x 500GB 7200.11 drives
Sata based DVD-rw

my question is what would you be looking forward to building in 6 months time

nioin3k

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
I think it's hard to predict all of the good buys that will be around in a few months. I'd suggest not worrying about computers and just coming back when you need to. It only took me a few days to research all of what I needed and get a good price.

That's my opinion.

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I think it's hard to predict all of the good buys that will be around in a few months. I'd suggest not worrying about computers and just coming back when you need to. It only took me a few days to research all of what I needed and get a good price.

That's my opinion.

i agree with you in regards to predicting Prices/ good buys however i was more looking into the Technology roadmaps of the big companies i.e will AMD have a competative chip in 6 months (i think not sadly), what will the mobos around be like. any new hard drive revisions coming up ?

nioin3k

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
I can guarantee Direct X 10 video cards will go down in price, hard drives seem to be going down also. Intel quad core is going to be going down in price, and I think they're the best processors right now. As for mobos, there will definitely be new boards out in 6 months, I don't know what kind of new technology or performance they'll have, though.

yakyb

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
of course prices will drop but as i say, not interested in prices, only in technology i.e intels 45nm transition scheduled for H2 '07 and possible move to native Quad Core, AMD's quad set maybe for Q2 07? (from what i last read) also the Budapest Core in Q4 07 any info on this? and of course the transition to 65nm

die shrinks of the 8800 leading to rev versions that may allow better OC much like the recent article about the 6300 rev and OC.

plus ive seen very little info regarding HDDs with the success of 7200.10 and the aquisition of Maxtor do Seagate have anything up their sleeves regarding 7200.11, or possibly a raptor challenging 10000.1 (mere speculation ofc)

I don't "plan" builds.
I monitor prices, and when I see something that has fallen into the price range that I percieve to be a good value, I buy it. Usually hardware 6 months to a year old. Paying premium prices for brand new hardware to have the latest greatest is not my style. It's not that I don't have the money, it's just that I hate paying $500 for something that will be $250 in 6 months, and still be just good as the day it was released.
Probably better due to driver maturity.