Welcome message

Hello:

I thought I once saw a GPO where I could configure the message of the day
and input the messages I wanted it to deploy.

Does anyone know where it is?

Harrison Midkiff

Hi Harrison,

Based on my research, there is no built-in GPO in win2k environment to have
a welcome message. However, you can use the following methods to achieve
this goal:

Method 1. Change background bitmap
=======================================
Change the Windows background bitmap to include a text message. This is
explained in the following article:

Q103327 - Changing Background Bitmap for the Windows NT Logon Screen

<http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q103/3/27.asp>

Method 2. Add a legal dialog
============================
This method requires an extra button click to logon (by design). This
solution is explained in the following article:

How to Enable a Warning Message During Windows Logon Welcome
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q101063/

How to Enable a Warning Message During Windows Logon Welcome
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315232

Method 3. Add a logonprompt
====================================
You can add short message to the logon prompt. Simply add the following
string value to the registry with your message:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
LogonPrompt

A third party website has addressed this method:
Customizing the Logon Screen

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/25966/25966.html

Based on my test, it appears that the message can be up to 3 lines long on
Windows 2000.

I understand you may not want to manually modify the registry on each
client, if all the clients are one kind of system, for example all clients
are XP or 2k, you can write a simple batch file to change the registry;
assign the batch file as the logon script in GPO. If the clients OS are
various, I suggest you refer to the following article to write a customized
ADM based on the registry:

Implementing Registry-Based Group Policy

Using Administrative Template Files with Registry-Based Group Policy
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/
management/gp/admtgp.mspx

I have googled the Internet and found the following third-party link has
write a customized GPO about the logon prompt, just for your reference, I
listed the link below:
Custom Login prompt: Helping users log in
http://blog.case.edu/djc6/2005/03/10/custom_login_prompt_helping_users_log_i

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site.
Microsoft can make no representation concerning the content of these sites.
Microsoft is providing this information only as a convenience to you: this
is to inform you that Microsoft has not tested any software or information
found on these sites and therefore cannot make any representations
regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or
information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any
software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure
that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software on
the Internet.

HTH!

Any update, let us get in touch!

Best regards,

Rebecca Chen

MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA

Microsoft Online Partner Support

"Harrison Midkiff" wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I thought I once saw a GPO where I could configure the message
> of the day
> and input the messages I wanted it to deploy.
>
> Does anyone know where it is?
>
> Harrison Midkiff

Hi,

Where do you want the message displayed? I have a logon vbs script
that pops up on logon. However, it is small and can’t be adjusted.
Here is the script.

Msg = "Welcome to the Network" + Chr(10)
Msg = msg & "Hope you have a great day" + Chr(10)
Msg = msg & "This is a test" + vbLF
Msg = msg & "You can continue adding lines like this" + vbLF
Result = Msgbox(Msg)

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-message-ftopict369598.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1196725

http://www.usenet.com

Lara:

Thanks for replying to my post.

This might work for me. I am not an expert on VB. When I ran the script I
get a dos window in the background which says: "Microsoft (R) Windows Script
Host Version 5.6". Do you know if there is a way to suppress it?

Thanks again.

Harrison Midkiff

"lforbes" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> "Harrison Midkiff" wrote:
> > Hello:
> >
> > I thought I once saw a GPO where I could configure the message
> > of the day
> > and input the messages I wanted it to deploy.
> >
> > Does anyone know where it is?
> >
> > Harrison Midkiff
>
> Hi,
>
> Where do you want the message displayed? I have a logon vbs script
> that pops up on logon. However, it is small and can't be adjusted.
> Here is the script.
>
> Msg = "Welcome to the Network" + Chr(10)
> Msg = msg & "Hope you have a great day" + Chr(10)
> Msg = msg & "This is a test" + vbLF
> Msg = msg & "You can continue adding lines like this" + vbLF
> Result = Msgbox(Msg)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Lara

> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-message-ftopict369598.html

> http://www.usenet.com

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but...

If you type wscript /?, you will get a listing of command line options.
//B -- Batch mode: Suppresses script errors and prompts
//NoLogo -- Prevent logo display

Brian

"Harrison Midkiff" <HMidkiff@aviinc.com> wrote in message
> Lara:
>
> Thanks for replying to my post.
>
> This might work for me. I am not an expert on VB. When I ran the script
> get a dos window in the background which says: "Microsoft (R) Windows
Script
> Host Version 5.6". Do you know if there is a way to suppress it?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Harrison Midkiff
>

> "lforbes" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> > "Harrison Midkiff" wrote:
> > > Hello:
> > >
> > > I thought I once saw a GPO where I could configure the message
> > > of the day
> > > and input the messages I wanted it to deploy.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know where it is?
> > >
> > > Harrison Midkiff
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Where do you want the message displayed? I have a logon vbs script
> > that pops up on logon. However, it is small and can't be adjusted.
> > Here is the script.
> >
> > Msg = "Welcome to the Network" + Chr(10)
> > Msg = msg & "Hope you have a great day" + Chr(10)
> > Msg = msg & "This is a test" + vbLF
> > Msg = msg & "You can continue adding lines like this" + vbLF
> > Result = Msgbox(Msg)
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Lara
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> > request
> > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
> > Topic URL:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-message-ftopict369598.html
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1196725
> >
> > Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
> > ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY **
> > http://www.usenet.com

Hi Harrison ,

I understand you want to suppress message "Microsoft (R) Windows Script
Host Version 5.6" when running the VB script. Frankly, I am not a VB
expert, you may consier posting the question to MSDN newsgroup to get more
information:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp