subdomain group policy

Hi,
I am newbie. I setup subdomain in my lab environment. I was able to apply
dns_suffix client group policy to computer (join to root domain) on my root
domain .
I also apply another group policy to computers (join to subdomain) on
subdomain. Somehow subdomain group policy is not working on subdomain
computers. Is there any diagnostic tools I can use in this scenarios (what
policies applied to this computers)? Correct me if I am wrong, subdomain
policy overwrite root domain policy? Any tips or information will be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Johnny Chow

GPOs linked to a parent domain (or OUs within it) do not
pass on down to apply to child domain.
GPOs linked to a Site can apply to machines of any domain
that are in the Site; and, GPOs defined in one domain can be
linked to a different domain.
However, there is no inheritance of GPO settings from one
domain into another due to domain/subdomain structure.

You should look into the use of the resultant set of policy
features and the GPMC (group policy management console)
download available from the MS website in order to easy
the troubleshooting when your machines are uplevel.

--
Roger Abell
Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)

"John Chow" wrote:
> Hi,
> I am newbie. I setup subdomain in my lab environment. I was
> able to apply
> dns_suffix client group policy to computer (join to root
> domain) on my root
> domain .
> I also apply another group policy to computers (join to
> subdomain) on
> subdomain. Somehow subdomain group policy is not working on
> subdomain
> computers. Is there any diagnostic tools I can use in this
> scenarios (what
> policies applied to this computers)? Correct me if I am
> wrong, subdomain
> policy overwrite root domain policy? Any tips or information
> will be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Johnny Chow

Hi,

Group Policy issues are usually DNS related. Make sure you have the
DNS settings setup correctly for the domain.
http://www.sd61.bc.ca/windows2000/dns.htm

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-subdomain-ftopict370087.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1197442

Thank Roger and John for your feedback
I was using GPMC as you recommend. It worked out great but I was not able
to find block inheritance and no overwrite option on GPMC. Is there any
way to find out group policy interval? I will be appreciated your feedback.

Thanks again,

Johnny Chow