piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Broke off a pin on my new AMD s939 X2 4400+. I was told by several people that it was toast so not worth messing with.

In the meantime my motherboard and power supply also went south. I ended up getting a new foxconn microATX board with PCIe. I also sent my older (2 years old) ASUS A8V (AGP) motherboard back to ASUS. ASUS has repaired the mobo under warranty and is sending it back but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it.

I found a pin map for my processor and discovered that the broken pin was a spare ground so decided to give it a try in the Foxconn board. To my surprise the darned thing works!

Ran memtest86 and prime95. Memory, processor, and mobo are all running stable with no errors and excellent temperatures. My only problem is that the RAID controllers on the boards are different but since it was RAID1, data is still available from the mirror drive.

Guess I got lucky. Just wanted to let people know that all isn't necessarily lost with a broken CPU pin. I now have a homemade AMD "socket 938 - engineering sample" processor!

Thought you might find that interesting.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
I cutted a pin of my 2 days old Opteron 175, leaving it whole in the socket. :( I thought that my new Opty is wasted, because it wasn't working at all(no POST). I gave both my mainboard and my CPU to a friend of mine who works in a Hardware service, to try at least to took out the stucked pin. I was so sure that there is no chance to take out the stucked pin(I was trying so hard, and I failed) and/or fix my CPU. So I sold my RAM (2x512MB A-DATA DDR500) and bougth a Gigabyte GA965P-DS3, C2D E6400, 2x512MB Nanya DDR2-800. After a few days he called me on the phone and told me that he has fixed my CPU(puting a new pin with hot air, I don't know how) and took out the stucked pin from the socket. :) I was verry happy, but only the mainboard and the CPU were almost useless for me. I sold my Opteron 175 for a decend price and for the money I bought Athlon64 3000+(Venice), 2x512MB Patriot DDR-400 and Pallit GeForce 6500. I took one of my old unused ATX cases and putted all that stuff in it, including two of my hard drives. Now that system runs as a file server and Internet connection router for the LAN we have in our neighborhood. :lol: