Assign Adobe Reader 7 to Users

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
May 7, 2005 8:08:05 AM

I have created a package to assign Adobe Reader 7 to Users. After logging in,
the app is not really installed because loggin-in only spends 2 seconds.
Adobe Reader 7 shows up in Control Panel but no Size displayed. There is no
folder in Program Files and no shortcut created. The PCs are Windows XP SP2
and the Servers are Windows 2000 SP4. Any suggestion? Thanks.

Ian
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 11:13:49 AM

Did you tell the system to assign or install. If you told it to install, it
will. BTW, you need to also configure Adobe Reader 7.01 to install as well
as Adobe discovered a security hole in v7. Don't have 7.01 uninstall or
upgrade v7. Just put v7.01 in as a seperate install. It won't install
until after v7 is installed.

Mike Ober.

"Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have created a package to assign Adobe Reader 7 to Users. After logging
in,
> the app is not really installed because loggin-in only spends 2 seconds.
> Adobe Reader 7 shows up in Control Panel but no Size displayed. There is
no
> folder in Program Files and no shortcut created. The PCs are Windows XP
SP2
> and the Servers are Windows 2000 SP4. Any suggestion? Thanks.
>
> Ian

May 9, 2005 11:54:02 PM

Yes, I set up to assign to users. After users logging on, Adobe Reader 7
shows in Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs but no size (blank) in it.
There is no actual program install in Program Files folder. Did you
successfully do it from Windows Server 2000 DC to Windows XP Pro?

"Michael D. Ober" wrote:

> Did you tell the system to assign or install. If you told it to install, it
> will. BTW, you need to also configure Adobe Reader 7.01 to install as well
> as Adobe discovered a security hole in v7. Don't have 7.01 uninstall or
> upgrade v7. Just put v7.01 in as a seperate install. It won't install
> until after v7 is installed.
>
> Mike Ober.
>
> "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have created a package to assign Adobe Reader 7 to Users. After logging
> in,
> > the app is not really installed because loggin-in only spends 2 seconds.
> > Adobe Reader 7 shows up in Control Panel but no Size displayed. There is
> no
> > folder in Program Files and no shortcut created. The PCs are Windows XP
> SP2
> > and the Servers are Windows 2000 SP4. Any suggestion? Thanks.
> >
> > Ian

May 10, 2005 10:56:54 AM

Yes. To do it, I installed Adobe Reader once on a system. Then I copied
the setup folder to a domain controller and pointed the computer software
install GPO for our network to use the MSI file in that folder. You do need
to use ORCA (downloadable from MS) to change the License agreement to Yes
from No. It's in the parameters area. Since Adobe Reader is free, I
install it on all our systems.

Mike.

> Yes, I set up to assign to users. After users logging on, Adobe Reader 7
> shows in Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs but no size (blank) in it.
> There is no actual program install in Program Files folder. Did you
> successfully do it from Windows Server 2000 DC to Windows XP Pro?
>
> "Michael D. Ober" wrote:
>
> > Did you tell the system to assign or install. If you told it to
install, it
> > will. BTW, you need to also configure Adobe Reader 7.01 to install as
well
> > as Adobe discovered a security hole in v7. Don't have 7.01 uninstall or
> > upgrade v7. Just put v7.01 in as a seperate install. It won't install
> > until after v7 is installed.
> >
> > Mike Ober.
> >
> > "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have created a package to assign Adobe Reader 7 to Users. After
logging
> > in,
> > > the app is not really installed because loggin-in only spends 2
seconds.
> > > Adobe Reader 7 shows up in Control Panel but no Size displayed. There
is
> > no
> > > folder in Program Files and no shortcut created. The PCs are Windows
XP
> > SP2
> > > and the Servers are Windows 2000 SP4. Any suggestion? Thanks.
> > >
> > > Ian

May 11, 2005 11:31:01 PM

Thanks Mike. To make it work, what rows in what tables of the MSI file did
you modify using ORCA?

Ian

"Michael D. Ober" wrote:

> Yes. To do it, I installed Adobe Reader once on a system. Then I copied
> the setup folder to a domain controller and pointed the computer software
> install GPO for our network to use the MSI file in that folder. You do need
> to use ORCA (downloadable from MS) to change the License agreement to Yes
> from No. It's in the parameters area. Since Adobe Reader is free, I
> install it on all our systems.
>
> Mike.
>
> "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, I set up to assign to users. After users logging on, Adobe Reader 7
> > shows in Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs but no size (blank) in it.
> > There is no actual program install in Program Files folder. Did you
> > successfully do it from Windows Server 2000 DC to Windows XP Pro?
> >
> > "Michael D. Ober" wrote:
> >
> > > Did you tell the system to assign or install. If you told it to
> install, it
> > > will. BTW, you need to also configure Adobe Reader 7.01 to install as
> well
> > > as Adobe discovered a security hole in v7. Don't have 7.01 uninstall or
> > > upgrade v7. Just put v7.01 in as a seperate install. It won't install
> > > until after v7 is installed.
> > >
> > > Mike Ober.
> > >
> > > "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> logging
> > > in,
> seconds.
> is
> > > no
> XP
> > > SP2

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 5:00:41 PM

I changed the PROPERTY table EULA_ACCEPT from "NO" to "YES". This prevents
Adobe from asking the end user to accept the Adobe EULA when they start.

Mike.

"Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D EDAA134-F4FB-4180-9239-3A306CF62F82@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Mike. To make it work, what rows in what tables of the MSI file did
> you modify using ORCA?
>
> Ian
>
> "Michael D. Ober" wrote:
>
> > Yes. To do it, I installed Adobe Reader once on a system. Then I
copied
> > the setup folder to a domain controller and pointed the computer
software
> > install GPO for our network to use the MSI file in that folder. You do
need
> > to use ORCA (downloadable from MS) to change the License agreement to
Yes
> > from No. It's in the parameters area. Since Adobe Reader is free, I
> > install it on all our systems.
> >
> > Mike.
> >
> > "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Yes, I set up to assign to users. After users logging on, Adobe Reader
7
> > > shows in Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs but no size (blank) in
it.
> > > There is no actual program install in Program Files folder. Did you
> > > successfully do it from Windows Server 2000 DC to Windows XP Pro?

> > install, it
> > well

> > logging
> > seconds.
There
> > is
Windows
> > XP

Anonymous
May 13, 2005 12:35:34 AM

"Ian61" wrote:
> Thanks Mike. To make it work, what rows in what tables of the
> MSI file did
> you modify using ORCA?
>
> Ian
>
> "Michael D. Ober" wrote:
>
> > Yes. To do it, I installed Adobe Reader once on a system.
> Then I copied
> > the setup folder to a domain controller and pointed the
> computer software
> > install GPO for our network to use the MSI file in that
> folder. You do need
> > to use ORCA (downloadable from MS) to change the License
> agreement to Yes
> > from No. It's in the parameters area. Since Adobe Reader
> is free, I
> > install it on all our systems.
> >
> > Mike.
> >
> > "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>  > > Yes, I set up to assign to users. After users
> logging on, Adobe Reader 7
>  > > shows in Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs but
> no size (blank) in it.
>  > > There is no actual program install in Program Files
> folder. Did you
>  > > successfully do it from Windows Server 2000 DC to
> Windows XP Pro?
>  > >
>  > > "Michael D. Ober" wrote:
>  > >
>   > > > Did you tell the system to assign or
> install. If you told it to
> > install, it
>   > > > will. BTW, you need to also configure Adobe
> Reader 7.01 to install as
> > well
>   > > > as Adobe discovered a security hole in v7.
> Don't have 7.01 uninstall or
>   > > > upgrade v7. Just put v7.01 in as a seperate
> install. It won't install
>   > > > until after v7 is installed.
>   > > >
>   > > > Mike Ober.
>   > > >
>   > > > "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message
>   > > >
>   > > > > I have created a package to assign Adobe
> Reader 7 to Users. After
> > logging
>   > > > in,
>   > > > > the app is not really installed because
> loggin-in only spends 2
> > seconds.
>   > > > > Adobe Reader 7 shows up in Control Panel
> but no Size displayed. There
> > is
>   > > > no
>   > > > > folder in Program Files and no shortcut
> created. The PCs are Windows
> > XP
>   > > > SP2
>   > > > > and the Servers are Windows 2000 SP4. Any
> suggestion? Thanks.
>   > > > >
>   > > > > Ian
>   > > > >
>   > > >
>   > > >
>   > > >
>   > > >
>  > >

Hi,

Adobe has an Install Tuner to customize your MSI for Adobe 6. I am not
sure if they have one for version 7
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/330036.html

I deploy Acrobat to computers because my users have no write access.
It works great.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Assign-Adobe-...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1206660
May 13, 2005 9:07:15 AM

There is a tuner for 7. It works flawlessly. It only took me about
15-20 minutes to get the whole thing ready. Lots of options on the
tuner for disabling the hoo-haw.
May 13, 2005 9:17:27 AM

Actually there is an earlier post on Adobe web site regarding this.
I've copied and pasted for all hoping the author does not mind. Alan

Automate mass installs of Acrobat Reader 7.0

Chuck Ireton - 10:57am Feb 22, 2005 Pacific

I needed to get Acrobat Reader out to about 6,000 people. Here's how I
did it.

Download and install Reader 7.0 on a machine. Go to C:\Program
Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Setup Files\RdrBIG\ENU_ and you will find the
SETUP.EXE, the MSI file, and the big CAB file that you'll need. Copy
all of this up to a network share. Go download the InstallShield Tuner
for Acrobat available for free at
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID.... When it
prompts you for the ITW file just point it to to network share where it
will find the rdr70.itw file it needs. Go through the screens and
customize your install and save the MST transform file. I take it into
ZENworks for the actual deployment but you could deploy if via Group
Policies, SMS, or directly from the login script with "setup.exe
TRANSFORMS=\\server\share\acrobat7SI2.MST /qb-". Piece of cake!

Chuck
May 13, 2005 9:20:30 AM

Then after my earlier posts there was some additional questions about
one of the files:

John Hugery - 2:24pm Feb 24, 05 PST (#1 of 3)

OK, so when downloading Reader from the web does anyone know where to
find this mystical rdr70.itw file? It is not in the setup folder, nor
is it in the installation directory, nor is it embedded in a cab file.

Post Reply

Scott Leff - 3:36pm Feb 26, 05 PST (#2 of 3)

I'd like to find this file also

Post Reply

Brian Honda - 12:57pm Mar 9, 05 PST (#3 of 3)

I found that the Basic (RdrMin) installation did not contain the .ITW
file but the Full (RdrBig) installation did.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 5:39:24 PM

"user2503" wrote:
> Did you tell the system to assign or install. If you told it
> to install, it
> will. BTW, you need to also configure Adobe Reader 7.01 to
> install as well
> as Adobe discovered a security hole in v7. Don't have 7.01
> uninstall or
> upgrade v7. Just put v7.01 in as a seperate install. It
> won't install
> until after v7 is installed.
>
> Mike Ober.
>
> "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have created a package to assign Adobe Reader 7 to Users.
> After logging
> in,
> > the app is not really installed because loggin-in only
> spends 2 seconds.
> > Adobe Reader 7 shows up in Control Panel but no Size
> displayed. There is
> no
> > folder in Program Files and no shortcut created. The PCs are
> Windows XP
> SP2
> > and the Servers are Windows 2000 SP4. Any suggestion?
> Thanks.
> >
> > Ian

Iam not sure how to update to 7.01 via Group policy I have the 7.01
patch but dont know how to create the second install because its not
an msi file can someone please give me more detail :)

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Assign-Adobe-...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1706892
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 5:39:25 PM

If I remember correctly, I started the 7.01 install and when it got to the
first MSI style prompt, I checked my temp folder for the install package.
It was rather obvious in one of the sub folders. Copy that entire folder to
your server. Now you'll have the upgrade. When configuring Adobe 7.01,
don't tell it to overwrite or deinstall Adobe 7.0.

Mike Ober.

!