Assign Adobe Reader 7 to Users

I have created a package to assign Adobe Reader 7 to Users. After logging in,
the app is not really installed because loggin-in only spends 2 seconds.
Adobe Reader 7 shows up in Control Panel but no Size displayed. There is no
folder in Program Files and no shortcut created. The PCs are Windows XP SP2
and the Servers are Windows 2000 SP4. Any suggestion? Thanks.

Ian
11 answers Last reply
More about assign adobe reader users

    Did you tell the system to assign or install. If you told it to install, it
    will. BTW, you need to also configure Adobe Reader 7.01 to install as well
    as Adobe discovered a security hole in v7. Don't have 7.01 uninstall or
    upgrade v7. Just put v7.01 in as a seperate install. It won't install
    until after v7 is installed.

    Mike Ober.

    "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have created a package to assign Adobe Reader 7 to Users. After logging
    in,
    > the app is not really installed because loggin-in only spends 2 seconds.
    > Adobe Reader 7 shows up in Control Panel but no Size displayed. There is
    no
    > folder in Program Files and no shortcut created. The PCs are Windows XP
    SP2
    > and the Servers are Windows 2000 SP4. Any suggestion? Thanks.
    >
    > Ian

    Yes, I set up to assign to users. After users logging on, Adobe Reader 7
    shows in Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs but no size (blank) in it.
    There is no actual program install in Program Files folder. Did you
    successfully do it from Windows Server 2000 DC to Windows XP Pro?

    "Michael D. Ober" wrote:

    > Did you tell the system to assign or install. If you told it to install, it
    > will. BTW, you need to also configure Adobe Reader 7.01 to install as well
    > as Adobe discovered a security hole in v7. Don't have 7.01 uninstall or
    > upgrade v7. Just put v7.01 in as a seperate install. It won't install
    > until after v7 is installed.
    >
    > Mike Ober.
    >
    > "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have created a package to assign Adobe Reader 7 to Users. After logging
    > in,
    > > the app is not really installed because loggin-in only spends 2 seconds.
    > > Adobe Reader 7 shows up in Control Panel but no Size displayed. There is
    > no
    > > folder in Program Files and no shortcut created. The PCs are Windows XP
    > SP2
    > > and the Servers are Windows 2000 SP4. Any suggestion? Thanks.
    > >
    > > Ian

    Yes. To do it, I installed Adobe Reader once on a system. Then I copied
    the setup folder to a domain controller and pointed the computer software
    install GPO for our network to use the MSI file in that folder. You do need
    to use ORCA (downloadable from MS) to change the License agreement to Yes
    from No. It's in the parameters area. Since Adobe Reader is free, I
    install it on all our systems.

    Mike.

    > Yes, I set up to assign to users. After users logging on, Adobe Reader 7
    > shows in Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs but no size (blank) in it.
    > There is no actual program install in Program Files folder. Did you
    > successfully do it from Windows Server 2000 DC to Windows XP Pro?
    >
    > "Michael D. Ober" wrote:
    >
    > > Did you tell the system to assign or install. If you told it to
    install, it
    > > will. BTW, you need to also configure Adobe Reader 7.01 to install as
    well
    > > as Adobe discovered a security hole in v7. Don't have 7.01 uninstall or
    > > upgrade v7. Just put v7.01 in as a seperate install. It won't install
    > > until after v7 is installed.
    > >
    > > Mike Ober.
    > >
    > > "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have created a package to assign Adobe Reader 7 to Users. After
    logging
    > > in,
    > > > the app is not really installed because loggin-in only spends 2
    seconds.
    > > > Adobe Reader 7 shows up in Control Panel but no Size displayed. There
    is
    > > no
    > > > folder in Program Files and no shortcut created. The PCs are Windows
    XP
    > > SP2
    > > > and the Servers are Windows 2000 SP4. Any suggestion? Thanks.
    > > >
    > > > Ian

    Thanks Mike. To make it work, what rows in what tables of the MSI file did
    you modify using ORCA?

    Ian

    "Michael D. Ober" wrote:

    > Yes. To do it, I installed Adobe Reader once on a system. Then I copied
    > the setup folder to a domain controller and pointed the computer software
    > install GPO for our network to use the MSI file in that folder. You do need
    > to use ORCA (downloadable from MS) to change the License agreement to Yes
    > from No. It's in the parameters area. Since Adobe Reader is free, I
    > install it on all our systems.
    >
    > Mike.
    >
    > "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Yes, I set up to assign to users. After users logging on, Adobe Reader 7
    > > shows in Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs but no size (blank) in it.
    > > There is no actual program install in Program Files folder. Did you
    > > successfully do it from Windows Server 2000 DC to Windows XP Pro?
    > >
    > > "Michael D. Ober" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Did you tell the system to assign or install. If you told it to
    > install, it
    > > > will. BTW, you need to also configure Adobe Reader 7.01 to install as
    > well
    > > > as Adobe discovered a security hole in v7. Don't have 7.01 uninstall or
    > > > upgrade v7. Just put v7.01 in as a seperate install. It won't install
    > > > until after v7 is installed.
    > > >
    > > > Mike Ober.
    > > >
    > > > "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > logging
    > > > in,
    > seconds.
    > is
    > > > no
    > XP
    > > > SP2

    I changed the PROPERTY table EULA_ACCEPT from "NO" to "YES". This prevents
    Adobe from asking the end user to accept the Adobe EULA when they start.

    Mike.

    > Thanks Mike. To make it work, what rows in what tables of the MSI file did
    > you modify using ORCA?
    >
    > Ian
    >
    > "Michael D. Ober" wrote:
    >
    > > Yes. To do it, I installed Adobe Reader once on a system. Then I
    copied
    > > the setup folder to a domain controller and pointed the computer
    software
    > > install GPO for our network to use the MSI file in that folder. You do
    need
    > > to use ORCA (downloadable from MS) to change the License agreement to
    Yes
    > > from No. It's in the parameters area. Since Adobe Reader is free, I
    > > install it on all our systems.
    > >
    > > Mike.
    > >
    > > "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Yes, I set up to assign to users. After users logging on, Adobe Reader
    7
    > > > shows in Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs but no size (blank) in
    it.
    > > > There is no actual program install in Program Files folder. Did you
    > > > successfully do it from Windows Server 2000 DC to Windows XP Pro?

    > > install, it
    > > well

    > > logging
    > > seconds.
    There
    > > is
    Windows
    > > XP

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    "Ian61" wrote:
    > Thanks Mike. To make it work, what rows in what tables of the
    > MSI file did
    > you modify using ORCA?
    >
    > Ian
    >
    > "Michael D. Ober" wrote:
    >
    > > Yes. To do it, I installed Adobe Reader once on a system.
    > Then I copied
    > > the setup folder to a domain controller and pointed the
    > computer software
    > > install GPO for our network to use the MSI file in that
    > folder. You do need
    > > to use ORCA (downloadable from MS) to change the License
    > agreement to Yes
    > > from No. It's in the parameters area. Since Adobe Reader
    > is free, I
    > > install it on all our systems.
    > >
    > > Mike.
    > >
    > > "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >  > > Yes, I set up to assign to users. After users
    > logging on, Adobe Reader 7
    >  > > shows in Control Panel | Add or Remove Programs but
    > no size (blank) in it.
    >  > > There is no actual program install in Program Files
    > folder. Did you
    >  > > successfully do it from Windows Server 2000 DC to
    > Windows XP Pro?
    >  > >
    >  > > "Michael D. Ober" wrote:
    >  > >
    >   > > > Did you tell the system to assign or
    > install. If you told it to
    > > install, it
    >   > > > will. BTW, you need to also configure Adobe
    > Reader 7.01 to install as
    > > well
    >   > > > as Adobe discovered a security hole in v7.
    > Don't have 7.01 uninstall or
    >   > > > upgrade v7. Just put v7.01 in as a seperate
    > install. It won't install
    >   > > > until after v7 is installed.
    >   > > >
    >   > > > Mike Ober.
    >   > > >
    >   > > > "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in message
    >   > > >
    >   > > > > I have created a package to assign Adobe
    > Reader 7 to Users. After
    > > logging
    >   > > > in,
    >   > > > > the app is not really installed because
    > loggin-in only spends 2
    > > seconds.
    >   > > > > Adobe Reader 7 shows up in Control Panel
    > but no Size displayed. There
    > > is
    >   > > > no
    >   > > > > folder in Program Files and no shortcut
    > created. The PCs are Windows
    > > XP
    >   > > > SP2
    >   > > > > and the Servers are Windows 2000 SP4. Any
    > suggestion? Thanks.
    >   > > > >
    >   > > > > Ian
    >   > > > >
    >   > > >
    >   > > >
    >   > > >
    >   > > >
    >  > >

    Hi,

    Adobe has an Install Tuner to customize your MSI for Adobe 6. I am not
    sure if they have one for version 7
    http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/330036.html

    I deploy Acrobat to computers because my users have no write access.
    It works great.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Assign-Adobe-Reader-Users-ftopict370157.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1206660
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    There is a tuner for 7. It works flawlessly. It only took me about
    15-20 minutes to get the whole thing ready. Lots of options on the
    tuner for disabling the hoo-haw.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Actually there is an earlier post on Adobe web site regarding this.
    I've copied and pasted for all hoping the author does not mind. Alan

    Automate mass installs of Acrobat Reader 7.0

    Chuck Ireton - 10:57am Feb 22, 2005 Pacific

    I needed to get Acrobat Reader out to about 6,000 people. Here's how I
    did it.

    Download and install Reader 7.0 on a machine. Go to C:\Program
    Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Setup Files\RdrBIG\ENU_ and you will find the
    SETUP.EXE, the MSI file, and the big CAB file that you'll need. Copy
    all of this up to a network share. Go download the InstallShield Tuner
    for Acrobat available for free at
    http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2709. When it
    prompts you for the ITW file just point it to to network share where it
    will find the rdr70.itw file it needs. Go through the screens and
    customize your install and save the MST transform file. I take it into
    ZENworks for the actual deployment but you could deploy if via Group
    Policies, SMS, or directly from the login script with "setup.exe
    TRANSFORMS=\\server\share\acrobat7SI2.MST /qb-". Piece of cake!

    Chuck
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Then after my earlier posts there was some additional questions about
    one of the files:

    John Hugery - 2:24pm Feb 24, 05 PST (#1 of 3)

    OK, so when downloading Reader from the web does anyone know where to
    find this mystical rdr70.itw file? It is not in the setup folder, nor
    is it in the installation directory, nor is it embedded in a cab file.

    Post Reply

    Scott Leff - 3:36pm Feb 26, 05 PST (#2 of 3)

    I'd like to find this file also

    Post Reply

    Brian Honda - 12:57pm Mar 9, 05 PST (#3 of 3)

    I found that the Basic (RdrMin) installation did not contain the .ITW
    file but the Full (RdrBig) installation did.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    "user2503" wrote:
    > Did you tell the system to assign or install. If you told it
    > to install, it
    > will. BTW, you need to also configure Adobe Reader 7.01 to
    > install as well
    > as Adobe discovered a security hole in v7. Don't have 7.01
    > uninstall or
    > upgrade v7. Just put v7.01 in as a seperate install. It
    > won't install
    > until after v7 is installed.
    >
    > Mike Ober.
    >
    > "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have created a package to assign Adobe Reader 7 to Users.
    > After logging
    > in,
    > > the app is not really installed because loggin-in only
    > spends 2 seconds.
    > > Adobe Reader 7 shows up in Control Panel but no Size
    > displayed. There is
    > no
    > > folder in Program Files and no shortcut created. The PCs are
    > Windows XP
    > SP2
    > > and the Servers are Windows 2000 SP4. Any suggestion?
    > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Ian

    Iam not sure how to update to 7.01 via Group policy I have the 7.01
    patch but dont know how to create the second install because its not
    an msi file can someone please give me more detail :)

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Assign-Adobe-Reader-Users-ftopict370157.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1706892
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    If I remember correctly, I started the 7.01 install and when it got to the
    first MSI style prompt, I checked my temp folder for the install package.
    It was rather obvious in one of the sub folders. Copy that entire folder to
    your server. Now you'll have the upgrade. When configuring Adobe 7.01,
    don't tell it to overwrite or deinstall Adobe 7.0.

    Mike Ober.

    "wingerit" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > "user2503" wrote:
    > > Did you tell the system to assign or install. If you told it
    > > to install, it
    > > will. BTW, you need to also configure Adobe Reader 7.01 to
    > > install as well
    > > as Adobe discovered a security hole in v7. Don't have 7.01
    > > uninstall or
    > > upgrade v7. Just put v7.01 in as a seperate install. It
    > > won't install
    > > until after v7 is installed.
    > >
    > > Mike Ober.
    > >
    > > "Ian" <Ian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have created a package to assign Adobe Reader 7 to Users.
    > > After logging
    > > in,
    > > > the app is not really installed because loggin-in only
    > > spends 2 seconds.
    > > > Adobe Reader 7 shows up in Control Panel but no Size
    > > displayed. There is
    > > no
    > > > folder in Program Files and no shortcut created. The PCs are
    > > Windows XP
    > > SP2
    > > > and the Servers are Windows 2000 SP4. Any suggestion?
    > > Thanks.
    > > >
    > > > Ian
    > > >

    > Iam not sure how to update to 7.01 via Group policy I have the 7.01
    > patch but dont know how to create the second install because its not
    > an msi file can someone please give me more detail :)

    request
    > Topic URL:
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Assign-Adobe-Reader-Users-ftopict370157.html
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1706892