Dead Pixel or Stuck Pixel

ShadowBurn

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Hi there

I have a new 19 wide LCD its an awesome monitor but have 1 minor problem,
right in the middle of the screen is a small green pixel 8O . WHAT IS THAT? :? and is there a way to fix this.

Please any help will be greatly appreciated.

holy_cow

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Dead/stuck Pixels are supposed to be "normal" due to the manufacturing process, and nope, they cannot be fixed or corrected...

Many manufacturers have policies for them, some ask for 10 pixels, others may say 5% of the total pixels and I think there is a couple that offer exchange for 1 dead pixel on certain top models.
(the 5% seem to be high but that was what I was told 4 years ago from local retailer for toshiba laptops lol)

Since I'm not sure about the numbers for each company,
I'd suggest check the manufacturer site o see what is their policy,
If not, try with the store who sold it to you, maybe they can help you...

Hope this helped a bit

uber_g

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2006
since its "green"

Rub it with your finger a little hard

-rub it so that liquid stuff gets spread around

( i fixed mine by doing that )

if that dont work maybe u can return it

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
That's a stuck pixel. If this is brand new, try contacting the seller immediately to see if they will exchange it. Some have policies that wouldn't let you, but others have more comprehensive customer satisfaction guarantees that don't exclude LCD monitors. Good luck.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
since its "green"

Rub it with your finger a little hard

-rub it so that liquid stuff gets spread around

( i fixed mine by doing that )

if that dont work maybe u can return it
OP:
You should try this.
I have done it on a dead pixel and it worked.
It doesn't hurt to try, just don't rub too hard.
I'm guessing that sometimes its not really "dead", but the circuitry just needs a little push.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
You can try two things and see if you can fix it. The first thing is to apply gentle pressure on the area where the pixel is located on your screen, i fixed one of mine like that. Good call from the previous replier.
Now if the case is that it is a non awaken pixel (one or two of the substrates not fully awaken due to weak voltages), then you can try downloading a program like this one here: http://fixdeadpixels.uv.ro/fix-stuck-pixels.html

It didn't manage to revive another dead pixel that i have on my screen, but it has worked on others and if you are lucky it could save your pixel as well.

Good luck!

ShadowBurn

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Thanks to all for the help and tips, I'll see what I can do.

I'm still a bit skeptic about rubbing the screen, thats just weird lol :?
But on the other hand why not give it a shot thx again. :D

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004

The reason not to do it would be if your screen doesn't have the glossy protective coating on it (personally I prefer screens that don't for best clarity instead of higher contrast, but your preference might be different), then rubbing on such a screen may put a noticable mark there, which could be grounds for a seller to refuse a return. Such a mark can be visible even with the monitor turned off, actually more noticable with it off.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006

The reason not to do it would be if your screen doesn't have the glossy protective coating on it (personally I prefer screens that don't for best clarity instead of higher contrast, but your preference might be different), then rubbing on such a screen may put a noticable mark there, which could be grounds for a seller to refuse a return. Such a mark can be visible even with the monitor turned off, actually more noticable with it off.

No, not rub the screen. just apply gentle pressure, it will not leave any marks and that works just as well as "rubbing". I think by rubbing the other guy meant applying pressure. So don't worry about marks and not being able to take it back.

NTGsv

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
I just purchased a Samsung 204BW and lone behold my luck for faultyish parts proved itself once again. As soon as I hooked up the monitor and checked for dead/stuck pixels...I found a flickering red pixel against an all black background. But after requesting an RMA the pixel magically disappeared. After finding this thread I gave the spot gentle pressure and ran the fix dead pixels app just to make sure it was gone. Thankfully it is, hopefully it stays that way for a long time and not just until the monitor is no longer eligible for return.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I just purchased a Samsung 204BW and lone behold my luck for faultyish parts proved itself once again. As soon as I hooked up the monitor and checked for dead/stuck pixels...I found a flickering red pixel against an all black background. But after requesting an RMA the pixel magically disappeared. After finding this thread I gave the spot gentle pressure and ran the fix dead pixels app just to make sure it was gone. Thankfully it is, hopefully it stays that way for a long time and not just until the monitor is no longer eligible for return.

That is good news my friend! Don't worry about those pixels. The ones that can be fixed is such a way have about the same lifetime as the rest and usually don't come back. Consider it as an "uncomplete" job at the factory that you finished at your home. That means that the screen itself is in a good condition and nothing to worry about. The light in the LCD screen will probably die long before you start seeing any dead pixels again.
;)

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Just an FYI I don't buy monitors online I purchase them from a store and before I leave I have them take the monitor out of the box to make sure there are no dead or stuck pixels. Most places will be happy to do this for you.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Just an FYI I don't buy monitors online I purchase them from a store and before I leave I have them take the monitor out of the box to make sure there are no dead or stuck pixels. Most places will be happy to do this for you.

That is the way to go! ;)