Help me decide : P-IV with HTT or P-Dual Core 2 ?

shekhar1205

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Hi friends,

Well I may sound out of place here in view of my very elementary knowledge of hardware, I hope I will get the right advice from this forum.

Help me take this decision. I am planning to buy a desktop PC from HP. I and figured out two models from HP. One is HP Pavilion a1509IN Desktop PC and the other is HP Pavilion a1517IN Media Center PC. I want your advice on the processors which have been installed in these two PCs.

The a1509 has P-IV with HT Technology whose specifications are :

"P-IV 631 supporting HT Technology (EM64T), 2MB L2 Cache, 3.0 GHz, 800 MHz FSB "

Whereas the a1517IN has Pentium Dual Core in it and has :

Pentium D Processor 820 with EM64T, 2 MB L2 Cache, 2.8 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, Dual-Core"

As you can see both have almost same configuarion. Rather the first one is faster (3.0 Ghz). However, the first one (with P-IV HTT) is cheaper than the second one (Dual Core) by Rs. 7000 (Indian Currency). Now I am confused on which one to choose as both apperas equally capable to me. Does the Dual Core is costly because of it's being the latest processor. Or is there any thing special about it that makes it so costly than an equally performing P-IV HTT ?

Apart from the above the only differene between these two models is that the first one has Windows-XP Home whereas the second one has Windows Media Centre Edition 2005 pre-loaded in them.

Kindly advise me which of the above should I opt for in view of their seemingly equal performance and huge price difference ?

Thanks

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Well the Pentium D is about 67% better than the P4-631 in accordance to Our performance Vs Price Index.

448-444-195.png

But a 7000.Rs is about a price for a Brand new Windows Vista. Totally not worth the 67% improvement. If you do want your moneys worth. Buy a Core 2 Duo or a AMD Athlon X2. My Advice, Don't buy Pentium 4 or Pentium D.

BTW The HP site for India Is A POS.