SoU and HotU

Out of curiosity, is it generally believed that a particular class does
better in these expansions than another class? Especially since you can
go higher than level 20, I would think a wizard would be unbelievably
powerful later in the game, with Time Stop and such.

I know that Baldur's Gate 2 was much more magic heavy than the first
one, so playing a mage was 'better' than it was in BG1, but I'm
wondering if these two expansions will be harder if you play more of a
fighter.

It's just that I always play a mage, and I want to try a ranger, at
least for SoU, but I'd hate to make the game impossible for myself.

John Salerno wrote:
> Out of curiosity, is it generally believed that a particular class does
> better in these expansions than another class? Especially since you can
> go higher than level 20, I would think a wizard would be unbelievably
> powerful later in the game, with Time Stop and such.
>
> I know that Baldur's Gate 2 was much more magic heavy than the first
> one, so playing a mage was 'better' than it was in BG1, but I'm
> wondering if these two expansions will be harder if you play more of a
> fighter.
>
> It's just that I always play a mage, and I want to try a ranger, at
> least for SoU, but I'd hate to make the game impossible for myself.

one more quick question: can you use hotu prestige classes for sou?

Vellu

John Salerno wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>
>> Out of curiosity, is it generally believed that a particular class
>> does better in these expansions than another class? Especially since
>> you can go higher than level 20, I would think a wizard would be
>> unbelievably powerful later in the game, with Time Stop and such.
>>
>> I know that Baldur's Gate 2 was much more magic heavy than the first
>> one, so playing a mage was 'better' than it was in BG1, but I'm
>> wondering if these two expansions will be harder if you play more of a
>> fighter.

Not so much. Hotu was far too easy for my fighter-weapon master. Mages
are generally just as easy, but there are a couple of spots/enemies
where spellcasting, regardless of character level, is ineffective.

>> It's just that I always play a mage, and I want to try a ranger, at
>> least for SoU, but I'd hate to make the game impossible for myself.
>

> one more quick question: can you use hotu prestige classes for sou?

Yes, you can, once HOTU is installed (you can use them in OC too).

vellu wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
>
>>John Salerno wrote:
>>

>>>Out of curiosity, is it generally believed that a particular class
>>>does better in these expansions than another class? Especially since
>>>you can go higher than level 20, I would think a wizard would be
>>>unbelievably powerful later in the game, with Time Stop and such.
>>>
>>>I know that Baldur's Gate 2 was much more magic heavy than the first
>>>one, so playing a mage was 'better' than it was in BG1, but I'm
>>>wondering if these two expansions will be harder if you play more of a
>>>fighter.
>>>

> Not so much. Hotu was far too easy for my fighter-weapon master. Mages
> are generally just as easy, but there are a couple of spots/enemies
> where spellcasting, regardless of character level, is ineffective.

Ok, I'll give it a shot. Anything I *must* know about building a
non-magic character (i.e., ranger) before I start? :)

Vellu

John Salerno wrote:
> vellu wrote:
>
>> John Salerno wrote:

>> Not so much. Hotu was far too easy for my fighter-weapon master. Mages
>> are generally just as easy, but there are a couple of spots/enemies
>> where spellcasting, regardless of character level, is ineffective.
>

> Ok, I'll give it a shot. Anything I *must* know about building a
> non-magic character (i.e., ranger) before I start? :)

In Hotu you are going to achieve epic levels, so it is a good idea to
plan ahead where you want to go with your character. Especially which
prestige you're going to pick (you could go single class, but Ranger
level 26-28 would almost certainly be better with some PrC levels).
Planning what skills and feats you're going to take (weapon focuses and
dodging related feats in particular for melee characters) is also wise.

Ps. A ranger might go the melee-way (weapon master) or the archer-way
(arcane archer (with wiz/sorc levels))

John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

> vellu wrote:
> > John Salerno wrote:

> > Not so much. Hotu was far too easy for my fighter-weapon master. Mages
> > are generally just as easy, but there are a couple of spots/enemies
> > where spellcasting, regardless of character level, is ineffective.
>
> Ok, I'll give it a shot. Anything I *must* know about building a
> non-magic character (i.e., ranger) before I start? :)

Plan your initial attributes based on the classes you intend to
eventually take. I'm playing a ranger/wizard/arcane archer.
--
Harry Erwin <http://www.theworld.com/~herwin>
My neuroscience wikiwiki is at

John Salerno wrote:
> Out of curiosity, is it generally believed that a particular class does
> better in these expansions than another class? Especially since you can
> go higher than level 20, I would think a wizard would be unbelievably
> powerful later in the game, with Time Stop and such.
>
> I know that Baldur's Gate 2 was much more magic heavy than the first
> one, so playing a mage was 'better' than it was in BG1, but I'm
> wondering if these two expansions will be harder if you play more of a
> fighter.
>
> It's just that I always play a mage, and I want to try a ranger, at
> least for SoU, but I'd hate to make the game impossible for myself.
No class makes the game impossible.