GP to control IE Access

Is there a GP to turn on or off IE for domain computers? I
have small 150 W2K LAN with all XP Pro users. Presently
using dail-up for certain users to access Internet.
Installing T1 line. Have "public terminals" on LAN that
should NEVER access Internet. Is there a way to create OU
with GP to turn off IE on those boxes? Or will I have to
de-install IE on each user I do not want to access
Interenet? Thanks!

"CourtMCSE" wrote:
> Is there a GP to turn on or off IE for domain computers? I
> have small 150 W2K LAN with all XP Pro users. Presently
> using dail-up for certain users to access Internet.
> Installing T1 line. Have "public terminals" on LAN that
> should NEVER access Internet. Is there a way to create OU
> with GP to turn off IE on those boxes? Or will I have to
> de-install IE on each user I do not want to access
> Interenet? Thanks!

Hi,

Internet Access Control is usually done through a Proxy/Firewall
Server. I run ISA and that works great for this. However, you should
be able to do it on your firewall by blocking access from the IP’s of
the machines.

The other way is to setup bogus "proxy settings" and then disable
the users ability to change them. That works great but ONLY for IE.
It won’t limit FTP or any other Browser like Mozilla (which can be
downloaded and run from any drive without installing into Windows)

The final way is to run xcacls.vbs as a startup script to remove the
permissions on the Internet Explorer Folder. I do that with Outlook
Express. Basically I reset to Admin and System = Full Control with
nothing else.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825751

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-GP-control-Access-ftopict371283.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1204855

You can use a software restriction policy to prevent iexplore.exe from
running. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324036

"CourtMCSE" <ohiopadisi@copper.net> wrote in message
> Is there a GP to turn on or off IE for domain computers? I
> have small 150 W2K LAN with all XP Pro users. Presently
> using dail-up for certain users to access Internet.
> Installing T1 line. Have "public terminals" on LAN that
> should NEVER access Internet. Is there a way to create OU
> with GP to turn off IE on those boxes? Or will I have to
> de-install IE on each user I do not want to access
> Interenet? Thanks!

CourtMCSE submitted this idea :
> Is there a GP to turn on or off IE for domain computers? I
> have small 150 W2K LAN with all XP Pro users. Presently
> using dail-up for certain users to access Internet.
> Installing T1 line. Have "public terminals" on LAN that
> should NEVER access Internet. Is there a way to create OU
> with GP to turn off IE on those boxes? Or will I have to
> de-install IE on each user I do not want to access
> Interenet? Thanks!

the simplest way is to not assign a gateway address to these computers

grtz

--
just a suggestion:

d;-p