custom shortcuts to start menu

is there a way to dynamically add shortcuts to the startmenu using GPO?

for example, if someone is a member of Sales, add this shortcut to the sales
database program?
1 answer Last reply
More about custom shortcuts start menu

    Hi Bob,

    Thanks for posting!

    I understand that you want to add specific shortcut to the start menu for a
    member of Users. If I have misunderstood your concerns, please feel free to
    let me know.

    Based on my research, the user configuration in GPO is applied to all
    users' settings. It can not apply to some specific users. As a workaround,
    to custom shortcuts to start menu, you may use logon script with GPO.

    For example:

    1. You may create the actual script file first.

    Create a TXT file and input the following content. Save the TXT as the CMD
    file.
    Copy C:\ "Shortcut to test.lnk" C:\"documents and
    settings"\%username%\"start menu"

    2. You may create OUs to contain the specific users which intend to be
    applied to the Logon Script Policy.

    For the detailed information, please refer to the following:
    How to setup a GPO to run Logon Scripts
    http://isweb2.memphis.edu/umad/documents/LogonScript.htm

    ===========================
    This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site.
    Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft
    does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information
    found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations
    regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or
    information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any
    software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure
    that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from
    the Internet.

    Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
    feel free to let me know.

    Thanks & Regards,

    Jason Tan

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    | From: "Bob" <someone@somewhere.com>
    | Subject: custom shortcuts to start menu
    | Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 09:57:15 -0400
    | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
    |
    | is there a way to dynamically add shortcuts to the startmenu using GPO?
    |
    | for example, if someone is a member of Sales, add this shortcut to the
    sales
    | database program?

Policy Start Menu Microsoft Windows