Evaluate this rig please

everbs

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I am going to be building a new dream machine so to speak and i want to run the component list past the experts here on the forumz. The main purpose of this computer is gaming, and my web development on the side ( flash,dreamweaver,photoshop etc.. ) but that shouldnt be any problem with this rig or any rig specified primarily for gaming. Let me know if you guys think any cheaper components can perform just as good as some listed, even though money isnt real important. Same goes for if you think i should get X part for only Y dollars more. If you follow that. Also this rig I want to be able to play DX10 games when they start coming out.

CPU = Core 2 Extreme 6800 Conroe

MOBO = Asus Striker Extreme or P5N32-E SLI (both are 680i)

GPU = BFG 8800GTX

Memory = Some advice here please, i was thinking 2x1gb OCZ

PSU = Thermaltake W0106RU 700w ps

HD = 2 74gb raptor in raid 0
and Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

Case = Suggestions please

Thanks for your help guys, also i was wondering if i should wait for those new 45nm processors to come out or if the difference wont be that different from this one.

Fustigator

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I am going to be building a new dream machine so to speak and i want to run the component list past the experts here on the forumz. The main purpose of this computer is gaming, and my web development on the side ( flash,dreamweaver,photoshop etc.. ) but that shouldnt be any problem with this rig or any rig specified primarily for gaming. Let me know if you guys think any cheaper components can perform just as good as some listed, even though money isnt real important. Same goes for if you think i should get X part for only Y dollars more. If you follow that. Also this rig I want to be able to play DX10 games when they start coming out.

CPU = Core 2 Extreme 6800 Conroe

MOBO = Asus Striker Extreme or P5N32-E SLI (both are 680i)

GPU = BFG 8800GTX

Memory = Some advice here please, i was thinking 2x1gb OCZ

PSU = Thermaltake W0106RU 700w ps

HD = 2 74gb raptor in raid 0
and Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

Case = Suggestions please

Thanks for your help guys, also i was wondering if i should wait for those new 45nm processors to come out or if the difference wont be that different from this one.

From what I've read, the 6800 may be overkill. There is a lot of headroom for overclocking in the 6000 series CPUs and the sweetspot seems to be around the 6600. That will cost you about 1/3 as much as the 6800 for similar performance (once overclocking has been accomplished).

You've chosen a monster GPU. It's also rather expensive, but the numbers suggest that you ARE getting something for those extra bucks. I'm strongly considering an upgrade to the 8800, but I want to wait and see what the R600 looks like (and to see what happens to prices when it becomes available)

I just rebuilt using the eVGA 680i, and while expensive, it was easy to work with. The 680i is a good investment if you plan to overclock.

OCZ is a good brand. I think 2 GB is a good choice for now, and you'll have two slots available to upgrade later.

That's a good performance config for your HDDs.

Case - Mostly an aethetics question if you go for something good (and for all you're spending on this build you don't wanna cheap out on the case). I'm a big fan of Lian-Li. http://www.lian-li.com/main.htm
Their cases are easy to work in (removeable MB tray, finger screws etc), have rolled edges (no cuts) and are all brushed aluminum with simple lines.

As for 45nm, there's always something cool on the horizon. Personally, I think that the initial 45nm releases will not have significant performance benefits, but rather will require less power and may be easier to cool and overclock. The second generation of 45s will probably be a significant jump in performace, but now we're looking at 12+ months away. I'd buy a 6000 series processor now and then consider upgrading in a year or so. From what I've read they'll still be using the 775, so upgrade should be a breeze.

everbs

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Thanks for the reply. Of the 2 motherboards which one would you go with? also right now i have a 4400+ x2 amd and im converting to the intel world, is the e6600 alot better than that and also besides price wise if i was planning to OC i could get the 6800 and oc that later in the computers life to give it more longevity rather than saving money now and shelling money later right?

thanks, verbs

everbs

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I currently have that case in my rig now, lol no where near light weight the package shipped at 42lbs and believe me with the components inside its a pain carting that thing anywhere but to your desk when you do the initial setup. But that aside its the best case ive ever owned and im contemplating getting another one.

Which mobo would you choose out of the 2 i have listed?

thanks, verbs

danielcoles1989

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
i would say the asus striker, it shows good overclocking potential, and good features,

About the CPU, an X6800 is around the $900 mark, i think it would be much better to save the money and go for an E6600, or you could go quad with an Q66000 for a little less than the x6800 then overclock it a little bit and BAM! no need for an uprade for a while longer.

Also about memory i would recomend DDR2-667
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-5400CL3D-2GBGA - Retail

or DDR2-800
CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C3DF - Retail if u plan on overclokcing

Fustigator

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
The Striker was designed for the enthusiast and has better options for overclocking.

Your board will take advantage of the DDR2-800. Go with 1GB sticks so that it'll be cheap and easy to bump to 4 later with a 64 bit OS (when Vista gets thei support together)