Help a first-time builder by evaluation please!

Kaltec

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
So this will be my first time building a computer. The reason for the slower CPU and all the cooling on both the case and the extra CPU fan+heatsink is because I plan to overclock it to 4.0GHz. I'll probably add another 2GB of RAM later on, as well as another 8800GTX to make use of the SLI ability this system will have, as well as a physX card when more games are available for that hardware. Let me know what you guys think about it and if you think there is anything I could add or replace to make it better!

Kaltec

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Ok, I think I'll switch in the evga 680i mobo and the tuniq tower 120 to try and shoot for the 4.0GHz overclocked cpu as that guide says. Updated the first post to reflect those changes.

Syntonic

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
You might want to consider memory sticks that are promised to contain micron D9GKX or D9GMH ICs if you are aiming for 4ghz and beyond as you might not make it otherwise (but you can still get to 3.6ghz probably.)

pinkcaddy

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
...and the cpu cooler you chose is for amd...

The Tuniq will work on the C2D. It's considered one of the best choices for CPU cooling.

EDIT: Not sure what the OP put as their original CPU cooler suggestion. When I posted this, the OP had the Tuniq as their CPU cooler, so perhaps my comment is invalid.