Need help solving my CPU relates heat issue..

archduke66

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I recently cleaned my case and the HSF thoroughly and then applied arctic silver 5 b4 mounting it.. Even since then the sensors on my comp are reading extremely high temperatures..

I am using a P4 541 @ 3.2 Ghz with a gigabyte GA-81865GMK..

Everest Ultimate edition is showing 68 degrees Celsius while Gigabyte easytune is showing 53 degree Celsius..

On 50% load everest stopped showing the temperature while gigabyte was showing 88 degrees..

My HSF is running at 4600 rpm average according to gigabyte easy tune. Everest is showing 4.6/4.7..

I tried normal method of applying the arctic silver and also the one mentioned on the official site..

I will appreciate any help pertaining to this..

Thanks in advance..

chedrz

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2006
Did you apply too much Arctic Silver? You don't need very much at all. Also, make sure the heatsink is completely seated to the processor.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I recently cleaned my case and the HSF thoroughly and then applied arctic silver 5 b4 mounting it.. Even since then the sensors on my comp are reading extremely high temperatures..

I am using a P4 541 @ 3.2 Ghz with a gigabyte GA-81865GMK..

Everest Ultimate edition is showing 68 degrees Celsius while Gigabyte easytune is showing 53 degree Celsius..

On 50% load everest stopped showing the temperature while gigabyte was showing 88 degrees..

My HSF is running at 4600 rpm average according to gigabyte easy tune. Everest is showing 4.6/4.7..

Are you at stock VCore? If I remember right, stock clock on your CPU is the 3.2GHz you show. If you're at stock VCore, I'd look at airflow through the case and your thermal grease. did you thoroughtly clean off the old paste/grease before applying the AS5? Does your case have any filters that might be clogged? I keep a good thermocouple around to help double check software temp measurements.

archduke66

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
@chedrz
@clue69less
Thanx for the replies..

I tried cleanign the heat cap as best as i cld.. used a disk cleaner.. I never applied more than half a grain of rice and spread it.. The last time I applied and on which my comp is running is as instructed on the artic silver website..
abt applying the grease widout spreading it and directly mounting the HSF.. may be I misunderstood something..

I just cleaned the filters, I am using an Antec sonata 2.. I checked the pc health in the BIOS which shows 68-73 degrees.. I am really worried now :(
And yes I am on stock.

Thanx for the speedy response guys..

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I guess re-clean it (use some rubbing alcohol, works great), re-apply AS5 (just like you did, grain of rice without spreading) and re-mount it. See how that works (unless you re-seated it already).

ajohnstonspraycool

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
1) Be certain that you have a problem:
Are you seeing different temperatures from two different wares at the same time? Both should be pulling readings from the thermal diode, but obviously if they are both reading different at the same time one or both are wrong. Check temperatures in BIOS to verify. BIOS is usually ~75% max CPU temp under full load.

1.1) Hate to say it, but did you plug your heat sink fan back in?

2) Still hot? remove TIM completly with alcohol and a tissue and re apply.

3) still hot? press down on heat sink and observe CPU temps under load. If they decrease as you apply pressure then you have a mounting issue. Can you observe TIM on bottom of IHS and heat sink to be squished out (~1 inch diameter when squished indicating good contact?