Best PCI Express graphics card without upgrading PSU

carrot1401

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Righto, first off, hello. Been a reader of TH for a while now, finally got round to joining the forum. Anyahoot, on with the show. First off, my specs

P4 3.4Ghz
1gb PC3200 DDR RAM
7300gt 256mb

Now I really think my graphics card is letting me down on games like Company Of Heroes but also future games like Supreme Commander. Because of this, I'm looking for an upgrade. But here's the problem, I really don't want to be shelling out a load of money for it, neither upgrade my 315watt PSU (why the extra 15 :? ) as I am planning to get a new computing at about xmas this year (hey, its less than 11 months away :p :roll: )

So what I want is either the best graphics card without needing a direct line to the PSU, one that will work with a low.....wattage thing or for you guys to say 'wait, theres no point, there won't be much of an increase'...or something. I'm currently looking at a 7600gt but don't know if I can do better with these constraints...

Furthurmore, when are these cheaper DX10 graphics cards out? Will they all need direct PSU connector things, or should I just wait and get one of them.

Your help will be greatly apreciatted, or however you spell it :roll: :wink:

[ZiiP] Carrot1401

JJMAN

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2005
Righto, first off, hello. Been a reader of TH for a while now, finally got round to joining the forum. Anyahoot, on with the show. First off, my specs

P4 3.4Ghz
1gb PC3200 DDR RAM
7300gt 256mb

Now I really think my graphics card is letting me down on games like Company Of Heroes but also future games like Supreme Commander. Because of this, I'm looking for an upgrade. But here's the problem, I really don't want to be shelling out a load of money for it, neither upgrade my 315watt PSU (why the extra 15 :? ) as I am planning to get a new computing at about xmas this year (hey, its less than 11 months away :p :roll: )

So what I want is either the best graphics card without needing a direct line to the PSU, one that will work with a low.....wattage thing or for you guys to say 'wait, theres no point, there won't be much of an increase'...or something. I'm currently looking at a 7600gt but don't know if I can do better with these constraints...

Furthurmore, when are these cheaper DX10 graphics cards out? Will they all need direct PSU connector things, or should I just wait and get one of them.

Your help will be greatly apreciatted, or however you spell it :roll: :wink:

[ZiiP] Carrot1401

315watter eh. Well honestly about anything past the 7300 is gonna require more than you have. With you running a p4 3.4ghz, are you 100% sure it is only 315 watts?
You might just consider a Powersupply/Video card upgrade at the same time. That way you can at least get a good card now without being so limited. I think the 7600GT requires a 350watt ps. Either way, it wouldn't hurt to upgrade both anyway. :)

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
If you're going to build your next computer, you can just get the new PSU now and use it in the new system. eBay the 7300GT for a little extra cash if you have to.

You can try a 7600GT and see how it fares because it's actually a pretty efficient card. Based on info from eXtreme Outervision, I'm estimating that it uses about 5-10W more power than your current 7300GT. If the PSU isn't enough, your system will most likely restart during some sort of 3-D intensive application. Should be fine for 2-D use as long as you don't have a plethora of other hardware in the system. So you'd still be able to use the system while waiting for your new PSU, just no gaming.