Network Optimzer: Linksys or Hawking?

jonblate

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
I have just recently added vonage. However, I have noticed voip line degradation when running azureus. There are two pruducts that are suppose to help: Linksys network optimizer and there is a Hawking product. Does anyone have expierence withe these. Do they work. Which is better?

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Without having any idea what either of the products you mentioned are, the only way you can run a delay sensitive app like VoIP in conjunction with BT is to scale back your BT traffic. You might be able to do this with some kind of QoS enabled router, but the easiest thing to do would be to limit the amount of bandwidth Azureus sucks up. This is easy to do under Tools > Options >Transfer. Realistically, BT and VoIP do not mix.

jonblate

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Without having any idea what either of the products you mentioned are, the only way you can run a delay sensitive app like VoIP in conjunction with BT is to scale back your BT traffic. You might be able to do this with some kind of QoS enabled router, but the easiest thing to do would be to limit the amount of bandwidth Azureus sucks up. This is easy to do under Tools > Options >Transfer. Realistically, BT and VoIP do not mix.

Thanks for readin replying. I think my real issue is that my isp is throttling me back. The optimzer shapes traffic which is part of QoS. It assigns priority to the packets. Each app gets a diif priority with real time traffic getting the highest. The down pipe seems fine but I have three computers on my network doing various things. What i'm really after is which is the better product.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Basically, what I was trying to say is that the "optimizer" doesn't do anything you can't do yourself for free. For real QoS, the network has to support it end to end. The consumer products that are advertising it these days function a bit differently than enterprise products that I have experience with. Even if you did want to implement some QoS there are free software gateways you could use that probably implement it better than proprietary solutions from Linksys, et al.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I agree with fred on your problem. It is a bandwidth issue. Most ISP provide good down speeds but skimp on the uplink. Like 5 meg down and 256k up.

I would correct the the BT bandwidth, its the cheapest solution. QoS hardware can help.