temp probs with new build

finerty

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
hello

i recently built my own pc (1 week ago) (first time)

and to my suprise it worked :D

now im having probs with the cpu temps
it has a x6800 with the stock fan (not oc) and it ideals at 45 degrees

using tat and full load it dies :( it has to reduce performance to stop an overheat (i think, im not to sure what happens the thermal monitor turns on and it stabilises at 80 degrees (needless to say i panicked and turned it down)

when running programs such as games, oblivion on full settings, it hits 67 degrees

and weirdly (very weirdly) it hits the same temp when running wow on full even in unpopulated areas, and this is with a 8800 GTX

as far as i can find out 67 degrees is not a good temp for a processor which is only at about 80% load

i think that the wow temp must be a bug with the drivers/game causesing it to hog proccessing power as my old 2.4 ghz amd ran it fine on full settings and a stock fan

several questions

1. is 67 degrees to hot? or 80 on full load for that matter?

2. ive heard several times that thermal material has to 'burn in' is this true or just a net myth.

3. how hard would it be to replace the stock fan (removing the old thermal material etc)

4. would a better heat sink significantly reduce the temp?

5. any suggestions on heatsinks as i am new to the world of non stock :D

(if you are reading this line thank you for patiently putting up with my wandering)

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
hello

i recently built my own pc (1 week ago) (first time)

and to my suprise it worked :D

now im having probs with the cpu temps
it has a x6800 with the stock fan (not oc) and it ideals at 45 degrees

using tat and full load it dies :( it has to reduce performance to stop an overheat (i think, im not to sure what happens the thermal monitor turns on and it stabilises at 80 degrees (needless to say i panicked and turned it down)

when running programs such as games, oblivion on full settings, it hits 67 degrees

and weirdly (very weirdly) it hits the same temp when running wow on full even in unpopulated areas, and this is with a 8800 GTX

as far as i can find out 67 degrees is not a good temp for a processor which is only at about 80% load

i think that the wow temp must be a bug with the drivers/game causesing it to hog proccessing power as my old 2.4 ghz amd ran it fine on full settings and a stock fan

several questions

1. is 67 degrees to hot? or 80 on full load for that matter?

2. ive heard several times that thermal material has to 'burn in' is this true or just a net myth.

3. how hard would it be to replace the stock fan (removing the old thermal material etc)

4. would a better heat sink significantly reduce the temp?

5. any suggestions on heatsinks as i am new to the world of non stock :D

(if you are reading this line thank you for patiently putting up with my wandering)

What mobo do you have? I assume you are not overclocking. It sounds like you don't have the heat sink clamped good enough.

qrhetoric

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
I agree, your heatsink is almost certainly not on properly. Or the thermal paste didn't spread properly, or something. A non-overclocked Core 2 Duo should never go above like 55C at full load. 80C will shorten the life of your chip, but is not immediately dangerous to it (I don't think).

Since you will have to remove your chip, you'll need new paste, so you may as well join 98% of the oc'ing world and get arctic silver 5. costs about 6$. If you're not overclocking much, don't bother replacing the heatsink.

Also, buy isopropyl alcohol. Clean the cpu top and heatsink bottom thoroughly with an old undershirt. Make sure your fingers never come in contact with either surface (or the bottom of the cpu for that matter) because the oil will interfere with heat transfer. Follow directions on AS website, but basically just put a thin strip down the middle, and make sure hte heatsink is pushed down and the black part of the pegs protrude from the bottom of the motherboard.

nazarioa

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Hi I'm not an expert but this article helped me to understand a lot of things about Core2Duo temps. Read all the posts with care.

I do believe your stock HSF isn't attached correctly. Try removing it, clean both CPU and the HSF base with isopropyl alcohol.
After cleaning take a good quality thermal paste (see instructions on how to use it) and attach again the HSF. Be sure the HSF is attached properly over the CPU.

I hope it helps.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1438291#1438291

finerty

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
the motherboard is a p5b deluxe

the heat sink seems fairly firmly in place (my first thought was it might be lose)

is it possible to install a new heatsink or change material without removing the chip from the mobo

its a rather expensive chip and it took a lot of force to get the clamp down to hold it in (a worrying amount of force) it works fine but id rather not take it out realign it and push it back in with that much force again

ps. the thermal material was like three strips of tape

nazarioa

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Although the the Heatsink seem to be faily firmly I would try to remove it and put it again. Make sure you can hear the click when you press down the heatsink clips.

If you follow the correct instructions to put the processor in place you
should not do much force.

Did you read the forum I posted ealier about the temperature's sofware ?

finerty

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
yes i did read the post and understood most of it. oh well ill try taking the heat sink off and put it back on again

the force wasn't when placeing the cpu in the slot but when closing the plate

so can i take the heatsink off check the thermal material and put it back on. eg. i don't have to reaplie just because i took the heatsink off?

if so ill open it up now and check,

nazarioa

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
As far as I know you can remove it check and put it back but don't touch the processor neither heatsink base. Probably you will not see the 3 stripes you mentioned before, the paste will be spread.

I understand when you say that you have to put force to close the plate but this is very hard to ilustrate the amount of force to push down that little lever.

There are some videos in the net (try google) teaching how to place the CPU and spread the Thermal paste. I suggest you to check those videos or take your machine to a person who knows how to place the hsf.

Please keep us updated.

finerty

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
i contacted intel and rather worryingly they say that removing the TIM they provide voids the warrenty and seem to suggest this is the case even if using there supplied replacement grease

i have emailed them again asking whether there is any way i can fix this and not loss warranty

this is all getting rather worrying

ps. is this cooler any good? http://www.arctic-cooling.com/cpu2.php?idx=79&data=3&disc=

pps. cool it comes with arctic grease

ppps. ooo thats sneaky and evil arctic-cooling and arctic-silver are two different companys so the grease that comes with it is not arctic silver

finerty

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
hmm it seems that the thermal paste is pre applied is there anyone who brought this heatsink who can tell me if it comes pre applied or in a tube?

also are alchol wipes ok for cleaning the gunk off (it is isoprpyl)
they are hospital swabs and are 70% isopropyl alcohol 1% ammonium chloride 29 % inert stuff

anyone know what ammonium chloride is?