Partition magic ver 8

Does partiton magic version 8 work successfully with XP Pro Sp2?

thanks

Cr
15 answers Last reply
More about partition magic

    "MS-News" wrote:

    > Does partiton magic version 8 work successfully with XP Pro Sp2?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Cr

    I apoligize for the empty posts contained on this thread. I am new to this
    forum and visually impaired. I do experience difficulty at times with
    unfamiliar forums. Sorry about that.

    "MS-News" <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Does partiton magic version 8 work successfully with XP Pro Sp2?

    I run v.8 build 1242 with no problems.

    "DJ Borell" wrote:

    > "MS-News" <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > Does partiton magic version 8 work successfully with XP Pro Sp2?
    > >

    > I run v.8 build 1242 with no problems.

    I have Partition Magic 8 but find the partition program that comes with XP-SP
    to be easier, superior and less complicated. Can't understand why XP users
    don't use the partition program that was was designed for it.

    "DJ Borell" wrote:

    > "MS-News" <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > Does partiton magic version 8 work successfully with XP Pro Sp2?
    > >

    > I run v.8 build 1242 with no problems.

    XP's Disk Management cannot resize partitions. While Diskpart, the command
    line utility that ships with XP can do so, first, it is command line and as
    such, generally not easier for users. Second, it can only do left-right
    resizing, hence is nowhere near as versatile as most third party utilities,
    it can only extend a partition into unallocated space but it cannot perform
    right to left resizing which allows a user to make a partition smaller.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > XP's Disk Management cannot resize partitions. While Diskpart, the command
    > line utility that ships with XP can do so, first, it is command line and as
    > such, generally not easier for users. Second, it can only do left-right
    > resizing, hence is nowhere near as versatile as most third party utilities,
    > it can only extend a partition into unallocated space but it cannot perform
    > right to left resizing which allows a user to make a partition smaller.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "glenlakes" <glenlakes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have Partition Magic 8 but find the partition program that comes with
    > >XP-SP
    > > to be easier, superior and less complicated. Can't understand why XP users
    > > don't use the partition program that was was designed for it.
    > >
    > > "DJ Borell" wrote:
    > >
    > >> "MS-News" <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > >> >

    > >> I run v.8 build 1242 with no problems.

    I needed to use XP partitioning for only a one time shot making three
    partitions in a 300GB HD. As an aging and infrequent computer user, I feel it
    has served my purposes well and the price was right.

    I understand your reasoning about PM but I really have no need for all of
    its versatility. Perhaps if I were younger things might be different,
    however, your comments are well taken.

    DJ Borell wrote:

    > "MS-News" <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Does partiton magic version 8 work successfully with XP Pro Sp2?
    >>

    > I run v.8 build 1242 with no problems.

    It works *extremely* well with SP2!!

    --
    William B. Lurie

    I understand.

    I just wanted to be sure that other's reading the thread had a complete
    understanding of what they get with the XP utilities and their capabilities
    versus many third party products.

    If a user is simply going to start from scratch with a blank hard drive or
    wishes to start over on their current hard drive and they have no objection
    to wiping the drive and starting over, they can do all they need to do in XP
    Setup without any need for third party software.

    --

    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> XP's Disk Management cannot resize partitions. While Diskpart, the
    >> command
    >> line utility that ships with XP can do so, first, it is command line and
    >> as
    >> such, generally not easier for users. Second, it can only do left-right
    >> resizing, hence is nowhere near as versatile as most third party
    >> utilities,
    >> it can only extend a partition into unallocated space but it cannot
    >> perform
    >> right to left resizing which allows a user to make a partition smaller.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "glenlakes" <glenlakes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have Partition Magic 8 but find the partition program that comes with
    >> >XP-SP
    >> > to be easier, superior and less complicated. Can't understand why XP
    >> > users
    >> > don't use the partition program that was was designed for it.

    > I needed to use XP partitioning for only a one time shot making three
    > partitions in a 300GB HD. As an aging and infrequent computer user, I feel
    > it
    > has served my purposes well and the price was right.
    >
    > I understand your reasoning about PM but I really have no need for all of
    > its versatility. Perhaps if I were younger things might be different,
    > however, your comments are well taken.

    I assume you're referring to the Disk Manager MMC snap-in. That does work
    well for certain, limited, functions, but in no way performs all the
    functions available with a third-party app like Partition Magic. If nothing
    else, you cannot move or resize partitions using only the Windows
    utility...a very nice feature if you multi-boot and want to alter the amount
    of available space, in a non-destructive manner, in any particular
    partition.

    MS-News wrote:
    > Does partiton magic version 8 work successfully with XP Pro Sp2?

    Actually, I've been happy with PM 7 (plus all the updates installed)
    with SP Home. I bought it new for about $5 on eBay. Downlevel software
    versions are quite cheap there.

    Some people say it won't work with XP, but I've never found any problem
    at all.

    Bill

    Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address) wrote:

    > MS-News wrote:
    >
    >> Does partiton magic version 8 work successfully with XP Pro Sp2?
    >

    > Actually, I've been happy with PM 7 (plus all the updates installed)
    > with SP Home. I bought it new for about $5 on eBay. Downlevel software
    > versions are quite cheap there.
    >
    > Some people say it won't work with XP, but I've never found any problem
    > at all.
    >
    > Bill

    Add me to the 'very satisfied, no problems' list.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    "glenlakes" <glenlakes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have Partition Magic 8 but find the partition program that comes with
    >XP-SP
    > to be easier, superior and less complicated. Can't understand why XP users
    > don't use the partition program that was was designed for it.

    Mainly because you can't use it "after" installing WinXP.
    (Unless re-installing is not a problem)

    glenlakes;
    after reading further in your "numerous" posts, I see that you are
    "visually Impaired".
    I apologize for chastising you in the last post.

    Perhaps the reason you posted this :

    "I have Partition Magic 8 but find the partition program that comes with
    XP-SP
    to be easier, superior and less complicated. Can't understand why XP users
    don't use the partition program that was was designed for it"

    Is because you just couldn't read and follow the directions in Partition
    Magic"
    I suggest you install it and read the directions and you will definitely see
    why!

    LowerEastSide wrote:
    > glenlakes;
    > after reading further in your "numerous" posts, I see that you are
    > "visually Impaired".
    > I apologize for chastising you in the last post.
    >
    > Perhaps the reason you posted this :
    >
    > "I have Partition Magic 8 but find the partition program that comes with
    > XP-SP
    > to be easier, superior and less complicated. Can't understand why XP users
    > don't use the partition program that was was designed for it"
    >
    > Is because you just couldn't read and follow the directions in Partition
    > Magic"
    > I suggest you install it and read the directions and you will definitely see
    > why!

    Actually, perhaps you're a bit visually impaired yourself? It's
    customary that if you're going to chastise Glen Lakes, you'd attach your
    note to his. Not to Bill Lurie's who has committed no sin...

    Bill

Partition Magic Microsoft Windows XP