Hel pinstalling widnows in P5B-E mobo

jimarass

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Hi guys. Tomorow I am getting a new pc with p5b-e motherboard and I have some questions about installing windows. I will have one Sata HDD , one IDE HDD and one DVDRW IDE . In the shop they told me that the IDE controler will "see" my DVDRW DIREVTLY and will start booting windows cd. All I have to do is press f6 in order to install the SATA drivers for the SATA hard disk. IS it ok cause I am confused!! I dont have to do anything about the IDE controler?Thanks!!

Frazwk

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
I had no problem. The mobo saw the SATA drive right off.
I don't know what will happen if you have both SATA HD & IDE HD installed. I guess I would just put just the one you want to boot from first, them add the second drive later.

jimarass

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Thanks! You mean that you didnt even need to press f6 to install sata drivers? What about the IDE dvdrw from which you boot windows first time?

Frazwk

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
No i didn't have tp f6. I think you have to f6 only if you have a raid.
I just started it up, the mobo beeped once and i went to BIOS. I set the time and saved and exit. Then put the Windows CD in, went through all the set up. Reboot, put the mobo driver cd in and that was it. Ready to go. Do windows update. Update BIOS.

jimarass

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
The first time that i didn't press f6 it didnt find any hard disk, though in bios it is detected in sata1 plug. Anyway i have 3 questions:
1) Since I have another HDD in IDE controler, should i put the page file trhere for better performance?
2) Is it important to do bios update?
3) What should I choose in f6 procedure, sata/raid or sata/ahci driver?I think i chose the first one. It is ok regarding performance?
Thanks a lot!!!

Frazwk

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
1. I don't know, but it sounds like you trying to create a Raid between a SATA HD and ATA HD. I'm not sure if you can do that.

2. Yes. Update to 910. Don't update to 1004, people are having problems with them.

3. Sorry I don't know. I've never created a Raid before.