Koolguy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
I am having an issue with my second hard drive. A couple of weeks ago I wrote on here that my primary crashed, and end up having to buy a new one.

Referrence http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1454732#1454732

Well before I blew $400+ (I got addicted to newegg and tacked on a monitor and a video card), I ran into an older HDD I had. It is a seagate 20GB. I can get the specs if you need it. I end up installing windows on it, and it runs fine. However, when hooking up my 250GB WD as a slave, it says disk is corrupted, and cannot access data. Of this 250GB, im sure I have about 60GB of stuff I really need to save. Im not sure why it would corrupt. My Computer recognizes the hdd, as does the bios.

Is it possible to create another partition on this? Could I even use that to help me? I noticed in another post someone said something about freezing the hard drive. I dont know if this will work, but I am open to anything to save my stuff. (Lots of music, movies, pics, and files from college)

Koolguy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Here is the deal

Former Setup:
Master - 80GB WD Crashed and currently useless
Slave - 250GB WD Holds all my media and exe files. Now slave in new setup

I intended to buy a new HD to replace the 80GB, but found a 20GB laying around.

Current Setup:
Master - Seagate 20GB Older Technology
Slave - 250GB WD Same from earlier, but for some reason does not work now.

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Alright, try this:

You are using 80wire ribbon cable - NOT 40, LIKE THE OLD KIND! If you don't have 80wire cable, go buy them.

You have them both jumpered as Master.
The 20g plugs into IDE1 (or Primary) - colored end into mobo, other end into hd.
The 250 plugs into IDE2 (or Secondary) - colored end into mobo, other end into hd. To this cable you also connect your cd/dvd drive as Slave.

I hope you didn't use this 250 to put Program Files on, because you won't be able to access them with a new XP install on the 20g.

If the drive is still viable, you will be able to access any storage item.

Koolguy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
That didnt work either. Does anyone know how to post an image on here, that img button doesnt help. I have a screen shot that shows the exact error.