nel

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
Gigabyte is caming out of quad lan mobo.... How is this going to benefit us? Is this going to be better on P2P (like AZUREUS and U-TORRENT)... Also, how is the quad lan can increase the network bandwidth if ROAD RUNNER only offer 100mbps ??? I just never seen a provider that would offer a 1000mbps or so on and yet we will have mobo that are more than capable of doing that....

nel

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
no wander, every time i use a u-torrent or azureus I can't even surf on the net, even though the p2p only using 300kbps... I was like, what happen to the rest of my bandwidth.... Thanks anyways....

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Bandwidth really isn't all its cracked up to be (unless you're pirating HD-DVDs) ... even if a 100 megabit/second residential connection did exist (it doesn't to my knowledge), there is absolutely no way you'd be able to pull that kind of data through the Internet as it exists today... no how... no way. I'd gladly trade 1 or 2 megabits/second off my current 5 megabits/second connection to have lower latency and faster uploads.

To date the best internet connection I've had was in Atlanta, GA where BellSouth ran a CAT5 cable up the side of my apartment... it was feeding off of fiber less than 100 yards away... no DSL modem... just an Ethernet port on the wall. Because BellSouth was the sole provider of phone and cable TV for my apartment complex they had to provide high speed internet as well... and they apparently just threw together some plan at a moment's notice... the one time I had to call for support, the technician refused to believe I didn't have a DSL modem... maybe I was the first with that type. At the time I wasn't smart enough to run a bandwidth test on my connection... man, I wish I had. Looking back I think I had an uncapped up/down connection.

*edit*

And yes, I think the technology you mentioned is pointless.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
That was 2000/2001. Broadband had already penetrated most all of the Altanta market, but BellSouth (for whatever reason) had a lock on my apartment complex and that was what they came up with when I called to request a FastAccess DSL account... I was told DSL wasn't available in my area and I nearly cried... but they said as long as I had an ethernet port they could take care of me. Well, believe me... they did. I don't remember my exact pings from back then, but I remember they were lower than my friends who had regular broadband connections. To this day it kills me that I don't know what exactly I had.