XtremeSystems shows a pic of Barcelona

zaarath

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
The guy holding the ES chip is no ordinary user like you and me. He is the head of AMD Japan (who is dubbed as "big brother" in Japan, while his counterpart in Intel Janpan is frequently referred to as "the God"). It is no surprise for him to get an early ES chip for strict PR purpose.

I failed to see any difference from the picture in which Henri Richard showing off barcelona against kentsfield. But if you can get high over the same thing twice, good for you.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
The guy holding the ES chip is no ordinary user like you and me. He is the head of AMD Japan (who is dubbed as "big brother" in Japan, while his counterpart in Intel Janpan is frequently referred to as "the God"). It is no surprise for him to get an early ES chip for strict PR purpose.

I failed to see any difference from the picture in which Henri Richard showing off barcelona against kentsfield. But if you can get high over the same thing twice, good for you.

I'm sure that as the replies come in you'll see that it does make a difference.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Here's a picture of Penryn ...

intel_penryn_45nm_die.jpg

So much a picture does, it would be better if they plugged it in and showed it running something (other than task manager).

Like this:
http://www.extremetech.com/image_popup/0,1694,iid=163455,00.asp

The jury has just come back in.

You are certifiable.

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Here's a picture of Penryn ...

intel_penryn_45nm_die.jpg

So much a picture does, it would be better if they plugged it in and showed it running something (other than task manager).

Like this:
http://www.extremetech.com/image_popup/0,1694,iid=163455,00.asp

The jury has just come back in.

You are certifiable.

Hey, just because some nuts put digs in at the ends of their posts, doesn't mean you have to!

Let's be satisfied -- stick with the complex enough stuff just figuring it all out. Most of us don't care about the nonsense insults some kid makes at you. Shoot, I decided to take those against you as a sign in your favor!

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Hey, just because some nuts put digs in at the ends of their posts, doesn't mean you have to!

Let's be satisfied -- stick with the complex enough stuff just figuring it all out. Most of us don't care about the nonsense insults some kid makes at you. Shoot, I decided to take those against you as a sign in your favor!

So my timetable says specFP/int next month and TPC numbers shortly after. I just can't wait to see what the launch chipset will be. I would think they would want a new one made for it.

Opinions?

halbhh

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

So my timetable says specFP/int next month and TPC numbers shortly after. I just can't wait to see what the launch chipset will be. I would think they would want a new one made for it.

Opinions?

You're going to know a lot more about those things (I'm not sure what those two acronyms refer to!) , but I'll offer just my personal thoughts perhaps at times anyway. I would think a new chipset, yeah. Isn't that the Am2+?

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Dudes and dudettes:

In the past 17 years of working on Photoshop, I've learned a thing or two. And I can tell ya that the chip on the right hand side (dude's left hand) has been image manipulated in. Just magnify the part where his thumb meets the chip and you'll agree.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Dudes and dudettes:

In the past 17 years of working on Photoshop, I've learned a thing or two. And I can tell ya that the chip on the right hand side (dude's left hand) has been image manipulated in. Just magnify the part where his thumb meets the chip and you'll agree.

I will not. They showed a wafer of them the same day.

The Japanese guy is flashing that thing like an ID or bling.

zaarath

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
barcelona.jpg

How is this news?

Because it was yesterday?

The same ES shown yesterday was still the same ES shown a month ago, no matter how you manipulate the words.

Did that Japanese dude reveal anything more than Mr. Henri Richard did a month ago on the same ES chip? He didn't. Therefore it is not a worthy news.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Dudes and dudettes:

I'm referring to the pic with the smiley Caucasian guy with the horrendous purple shirt (thank goodness he decided to go into chips instead of fashion).

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Dudes and dudettes:

I'm referring to the pic with the smiley Caucasian guy with the horrendous purple shirt (thank goodness he decided to go into chips instead of fashion).

I know, and I meant the same day that picture was taken a wafer of Bercelonas was shown off.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I know, and I meant the same day that picture was taken a wafer of Bercelonas was shown off.

Ok, but did they actually do anything? I've got this guy in England that does 3D mockups and he can whip a CPU chip to any spec you want in 24 hours and for less than a grand.

BTW, wafer with or without chocolate filling notwithstanding, the black chip is imaged in. Purpleshirtdude was not holding it. Now that may have been for convenience at the photo shoot or whatever.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

Ok, but did they actually do anything? I've got this guy in England that does 3D mockups and he can whip a CPU chip to any spec you want in 24 hours and for less than a grand.

BTW, wafer with or without chocolate filling notwithstanding, the black chip is imaged in. Purpleshirtdude was not holding it. Now that may have been for convenience at the photo shoot or whatever.

Black chip is just a C2Q with the heatspreader pried off, doesn't really matter for a PR pic whether it was really there or not. I think AMD demoed Barcelona (the now infamous task manager demo) shortly after.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Black chip is just a C2Q with the heatspreader pried off, doesn't really matter for a PR pic whether it was really there or not. I think AMD demoed Barcelona (the now infamous task manager demo) shortly after.

Damn. I want my own chip company. That way I can blatantly pull off major scams that would have me doing 15 to 20 in Maximum Security in any other industry...

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

Damn. I want my own chip company. That way I can blatantly pull off major scams that would have me doing 15 to 20 in Maximum Security in any other industry...

What major scam would you be referring to? The Barcelona chip (which they showed off in several forms) or the competitor's already released quad-core you say is chopped in?

I don't get you.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
What major scam would you be referring to? The Barcelona chip (which they showed off in several forms) or the competitor's already released quad-core you say is chopped in?

I don't get you.

Dude, nobody gets me. There was this asylum psychiatrist who thought he got me, but they weren't able to identify his body from dental records. :twisted:

I am talking about the major scam that AMD is pulling in tossing around benchmarks based on science fiction. I don't care if Intel does it too, but the whole concept of ticking up your share price based on completely baseless PR hype over a product that you are hoping you will be able to issue at some point in the future should be against every single SEC regulation in the book. That's why I want my own chip company. It's a license to take candy from Wall St. babies. The same bunch of morons who would pore over any similar announcement in any other industry with a 747 full of accountants and auditors will just gullibly swallow anything that the chipmakers dole out since it's just so high tech. Dorks!

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

I don't get you.

Dude, nobody gets me. There was this asylum psychiatrist who thought he got me, but they weren't able to identify his body from dental records. :twisted:

I am talking about the major scam that AMD is pulling in tossing around benchmarks based on science fiction. I don't care if Intel does it too, but the whole concept of ticking up your share price based on completely baseless PR hype over a product that you are hoping you will be able to issue at some point in the future should be against every single SEC regulation in the book. That's why I want my own chip company. It's a license to take candy from Wall St. babies. The same bunch of morons who would pore over any similar announcement in any other industry with a 747 full of accountants and auditors will just gullibly swallow anything that the chipmakers dole out since it's just so high tech. Dorks!

So basically you're doubting AMD's ability to produce Barcelona. Foolish.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

I don't get you.

It is drop-in, I just dropped on in.... turned on and installed windows.

Did you quote the right post?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I am talking about the major scam that AMD is pulling in tossing around benchmarks based on science fiction

AMD? I dont think its AMD thats tossing around the benchmarks.
Remember when Intel touted Prescott as a revolution? Those poor little blue guys all lost their jobs...

This is a good point....

Prescott promised spades, but turned in crap. :)

Man, it looked good on paper though.... 31 stages for high clock speed, trace cache to keep those pipelines full, double clocked ALUs... yada yada.... moral of the story, sometimes what looks great on paper in reality turns out to be a turd.

I guess the difference is that AMD has to live on performance and not marketing.

Oh, and there is some K8 still in there. I doubt sincerely that it WON'T live up to it's claims.

AMD realizes how important Barcelona is. They also seem to understand that they only need to beat Opteron.