Log off users via GPO?

Hi,

I was wondering if there is an GPO or script that would enable me to set
a logoff time for all users on my network (Win 2k3 server and XP/2k
workstations). The problem I'm having is that we run a daily backup and
many users leave their workstations locked during the evening. There are
many applications (Outlook being one of them) that when left open will
cause the backup job to fail.

I don't want to use the gpo enabling logoff during "x" amount of idle
time since I don't want users being randomly booted during working
hours. I know there is a policy that limits logon times and provides a
window for users but this might cause problems as well; we want to just
log off the users in order to free up a resource not limit them from the
system entirely. We run a small company (about 75 users) and if they are
in the office at the hours we're running the backup then there's
probably a good reason and we'll deal with the failed job accordingly :)

Anyway, I've looked through the gpo reference .xls file and haven't
found anything so if there's something I'm missing (shadow copy aside)
or perhaps a custom .adm or script that i can implement I'd appreciate
the help.

Thanks!

On Wed, 25 May 2005 14:28:30 GMT, Burns Waggener <bwaggener@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I was wondering if there is an GPO or script that would enable me to set
>a logoff time for all users on my network (Win 2k3 server and XP/2k
>workstations). The problem I'm having is that we run a daily backup and
>many users leave their workstations locked during the evening. There are
>many applications (Outlook being one of them) that when left open will
>cause the backup job to fail.
>
>I don't want to use the gpo enabling logoff during "x" amount of idle
>time since I don't want users being randomly booted during working
>hours. I know there is a policy that limits logon times and provides a
>window for users but this might cause problems as well; we want to just
>log off the users in order to free up a resource not limit them from the
>system entirely. We run a small company (about 75 users) and if they are
>in the office at the hours we're running the backup then there's
>probably a good reason and we'll deal with the failed job accordingly :)
>
>Anyway, I've looked through the gpo reference .xls file and haven't
>found anything so if there's something I'm missing (shadow copy aside)
>or perhaps a custom .adm or script that i can implement I'd appreciate
>the help.
>
>Thanks!

See tip 8526 » Another script to force users who are logged onto my domain to log off their computer at a specified time.
and links in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

TRENDING THREADS