AMD Down In Server But Up Overall

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Nothing suprising, but this is the first hard numbers I've seen for the year end:
[Intel servers] ended the year with 77.7% share, up from 76.3%. AMD slipped to 22.3%, down from 23.7%.

Intel controlled 74.4% of the microprocessor market at the end of the fourth quarter, down from 76% in the prior quarter. AMD owned 25.3% of the total market, up from 23.3% a year ago

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/intel-slows-advanced-micro-devices/story.aspx?guid=%7BD471BF94%2D388F%2D4081%2DB1D1%2D6A37EF8DBA5C%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Nothing suprising, but this is the first hard numbers I've seen for the year end:
[Intel servers] ended the year with 77.7% share, up from 76.3%. AMD slipped to 22.3%, down from 23.7%.

Intel controlled 74.4% of the microprocessor market at the end of the fourth quarter, down from 76% in the prior quarter. AMD owned 25.3% of the total market, up from 23.3% a year ago

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/intel-slows-advanced-micro-devices/story.aspx?guid=%7BD471BF94%2D388F%2D4081%2DB1D1%2D6A37EF8DBA5C%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

25% broken with Barcelona bringing 30% into view.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

If they can manage the fab capacity.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I think Barcelona may slow (or even reverse) the AMD slide on the server end, but I think they will need to rush out the desktop/laptop variants to hold onto their gains in these markets - especially if Intel cuts C2D prices further.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I think Barcelona may slow (or even reverse) the AMD slide on the server end, but I think they will need to rush out the desktop/laptop variants to hold onto their gains in these markets - especially if Intel cuts C2D prices further.

I feel confident AMD will hold the performance edge in most server spaces, especially if performance is what they claim.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Like I said roughly more than half of the planet buys procs under 200$, (don't know exact numbers but shoul be even more than that) that allows AMD to steal market share from Intel but at the cost of lower margins.

I have no doubt that AMD lost most market share in the high end, some in the mainstream but gained share in the low end.

As AMD transitions to 65 nm it will be able to reduce Intel's advantage even more and will be more competitive in the mainstream until K89 arrives in the second half of the year.

If Intel manages to push AMD out of the market it will be no ones gain except Intel's. Then Intel will dictate the way things go not the market. The market can only dictate which way things should go when there is a choice to make. No choice and the power of consumer vanishes. Take for example windows, can the consumers really chose something else or dictate the way thing should go?... No! If there was competition we wouldn't have seen so much DRM crap for starters ...

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

I have noted before that AMD needs to drop a new mobile chip real soon. Desktop is not in as bad a shape as people make out. It's just that desktop and server have known refreshes coming and mobile hasn't really been talked about much other than a shrink.

That should make Turion X2 around 15-20W which will definitely up it's "value" if not it's price.
Still I'd like to see a mobile-optimized Kuma before Q3.

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
On the mobile side, it doesn't look like AMD has much other than the Kite/Puma this year. Looks like 2008 is when it will get interesting with the Puma/Griffin - and the Fusion (which I'm looking forward to) in 2009.

amdfad03qp1.jpg

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/11438

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
The more Core2duo ramps, the more Intel will sell.

Remember, Core2due is only 25% of Intel's volume right now, the rest of the volume is flogging off old netburst stuff..

Right now if you need a sub $150 cpu (the bulk of the market) you likely buy a x2 3800+ as opposed to an old Netburst 9xx chip...

When E4xxx hit the market in force, this market shifts pretty dramaticaly back to Intel.

Seriously, if you are building a new system, not reusing a motherboard etc, and an E4300 is $133 and a Athlon x2 3800+ is the same price, how could you possible NOT buy the Intel part?

Certainly AMD will continue to sell a lot of low end chips, because that is what Dell does best - Heck, Dell flogged a lot of Netbust 8xx dual core flame throwers, that cost more, performed worse, and used double to power of the AMD alternatives, so clearly Dell has no morals and will continue to flog inferior AMD stuff just as the flogged inferior Intel stuff...

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
On the mobile side, it doesn't look like AMD has much other than the Kite/Puma this year. Looks like 2008 is when it will get interesting with the Puma/Griffin - and the Fusion (which I'm looking forward to) in 2009.

amdfad03qp1.jpg

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/11438

Hey, DDR2 and 65nm will bring better perf and even higher battery life, so they are good for the platform. I would just like to see the Barcelona mobile chip sooner rather than later.

The shrink should also get them to a cool 2.4GHz (35W) but knowing AMD they will go for better power consumption.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I wantthe stupid bazturds who were touting ht2 to step in here,its not on the roadmap. :twisted: ht1 to ht3.friggen noobs.

I told everyone they were skipping HT2.0. OF course I have made mistakes so I don't know what I'm talking about. HT 3.0 has been ratified for months.

Check out www.hypertransport.org

Arklon

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
If there was competition we wouldn't have seen so much DRM crap for starters ...

No, if there wasn't piracy then we wouldn't see so much DRM.No, if there wasn't even the concept of piracy (so there wouldn't be the fear of piracy, either), then we wouldn't see so much DRM.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
If there was competition we wouldn't have seen so much DRM crap for starters ...

No, if there wasn't piracy then we wouldn't see so much DRM.No, if there wasn't even the concept of piracy (so there wouldn't be the fear of piracy, either), then we wouldn't see so much DRM.

I see your concept of piracy and raise you trillion dollar yearly grosses.

I see your concept of piracy and raise you trillion dollar yearly grosses.
.... I'm not taking than one.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Microsoft could have said "lol @ DRM in Vista" and media companies wouldn't have been able to do anything about it. It's not like they can move into easily accessible digital media WITHOUT Windows.