"Failed to open key with 2" error

I'm having a problem getting a new group policy to apply. Here are the
particulars.

I've created an OU called ARMS and another OU under it called USERS. I then
applied a new group policy to the USERS OU. In the USERS OU I have 3 users.
One of those users was created as a control logon for a mandatory profile.
That user (FSFINPROD) is in the same groups as the other 2 users but is also
in the domain admins groups so that I can make changes. Both of the other
two logons are using the mandatory profile created by FSFINPROD. The
mandatory profile is working fine and the group policy is working fine for
the FSFINPROD logon. However, the group policy is not applying to the other
2 logons. When I run the utility "gpresult.exe" on the logons that are not
working with the group policy I get the message "Failed to open key with 2"
listed in the disply under the heading "The user is a member of the
following security groups". If I add the other 2 logons to the domain admin
group then the group policy is applied to them correctly.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've been working on this for a few days now
and don't really know what to do for my next step in debugging this problem.

Hi Steve,

The error code 2 means "The system cannot find the file specified" when
accessing the registry key. This probably is a permission problem when you
are using the mandatory profile. Try using a normal profile and see if the
same problem persists.

br,
Denis

"Steve Miller" <miller.22@osu.edu> wrote in message
> I'm having a problem getting a new group policy to apply. Here are the
> particulars.
>
> I've created an OU called ARMS and another OU under it called USERS. I
then
> applied a new group policy to the USERS OU. In the USERS OU I have 3
users.
> One of those users was created as a control logon for a mandatory profile.
> That user (FSFINPROD) is in the same groups as the other 2 users but is
also
> in the domain admins groups so that I can make changes. Both of the other
> two logons are using the mandatory profile created by FSFINPROD. The
> mandatory profile is working fine and the group policy is working fine for
> the FSFINPROD logon. However, the group policy is not applying to the
other
> 2 logons. When I run the utility "gpresult.exe" on the logons that are
not
> working with the group policy I get the message "Failed to open key with
2"
> listed in the disply under the heading "The user is a member of the
> following security groups". If I add the other 2 logons to the domain
admin
> group then the group policy is applied to them correctly.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas? I've been working on this for a few days now
> and don't really know what to do for my next step in debugging this
problem.

It works with a local profile. At least I have something to look at with
the mandatory profile now. Thanks for the help.

"Denis Wong @ Hong Kong" <H_O_T_A_P_P_S_@_H_O_T_M_A_I_L_._C_O_M> wrote in
message news:uL$rMENZFHA.584@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...