Sign in with
Your question

LAN Connectivity Problem

Last response: in Networking
September 14, 2006 9:20:48 AM

We use the main family PC as an internet gateway for a PC upstairs in the house, which is connected by a very long Crossover cable.

now upstais there seems to be very little incoming traffic:

I CAN:

Connect to Skype
Connect to the gmail manager firefox extention and Gmail itself
Upload at full speed (about 30kbs for me)

I Cant:

View any other web pages (but no connection error page comes up)
message anyone on skype
connect to xfire (it goes through everything except recieveing contacts)
connect to MSN (the troubleshooting never completes, it just keeps going on key ports)
Dowload torrents at a greater speed than at tops 3kbs.

Facts:
Everything (conectivity works fine on the pc downstairs)
there are 3 pcs upstairs and its the same problem with all of them
this had never happened before yesterday (it was working for about a year fine and dandy.

i have tried repairing the connections.

how can i get this working again?
thanks for any help
September 14, 2006 2:48:58 PM

do some ping tests out and see what kinda results you get. ping the downstairs computer and ping out to the internet to just like yahoo.com and 4.2.2.2 then post your results
September 14, 2006 4:10:22 PM

Quote:
do some ping tests out and see what kinda results you get. ping the downstairs computer and ping out to the internet to just like yahoo.com and 4.2.2.2 then post your results

From the upstairs PC:

Downstairs PC: 4 Sent, 4 Recieved <1ms
Yahoo.com: 4 Sent, 4 Recieved 246ms
4.2.2.2: 4 Sent, 4 Recieved 123ms

everything is pinging ok form upstairs.
Related resources
September 14, 2006 4:49:54 PM

well if your pinging out ok it may just be your browser, try clearing your history and temp internet files. as a last resort you can reset your tcp/ip stack and winsock.

tcp/ip stack reset
netsh int ip reset reset.log
after which do a dir reset.log command and make sure date and time on file is correct

winsock reset
netsh winsock reset
(possible netsh reset winsock, its been awhile and i dont remember exactly)
September 14, 2006 4:58:11 PM

Quote:
well if your pinging out ok it may just be your browser, try clearing your history and temp internet files. as a last resort you can reset your tcp/ip stack and winsock.

tcp/ip stack reset
netsh int ip reset reset.log
after which do a dir reset.log command and make sure date and time on file is correct

winsock reset
netsh winsock reset
(possible netsh reset winsock, its been awhile and i dont remember exactly)

thats made no sense to me. i dont understand :p 
and its not just the browser its msn messenger and other stuff also.

plus its the same on 3 pcs upstairs
September 14, 2006 5:34:51 PM

so the downstairs computer is working fine, but 3 other computers are all having this same problem? and your using internet connection sharing through the downstairs computer? the netsh commands i gave you b4 are just netshell commands, go into your command prompt just like you did for the ping tests. but if ur having the same problem on 3 computers dont even bother trying those commands.
September 14, 2006 8:24:41 PM

yea all computers upstairs suffer the same problem, but downstairs its all working fine.. hence how i can use these boards :p 

what else can i do because surely its setting based somewhere

(i have now seen torrents go upto 10kbs)
September 14, 2006 8:27:12 PM

Time to add a router and do away with ICS.
September 14, 2006 8:52:45 PM

nice thoughts sherlock but unfortunatly that would require a new modem.

it worked before so whats gone wrong?
September 14, 2006 9:10:07 PM

Look in to the downstairs computer and see if some Access control was added to the zones. Something on that pc is filtering packets.
September 14, 2006 9:26:52 PM

how do i do that?
September 14, 2006 9:34:31 PM

It's under the Internet Tools Control Panel.
September 15, 2006 12:20:36 PM

make sure you disable any software firewalls on the downstairs computer as well. if your not running any software firewalls and you havent changed your access controls it may indeed be time to think about getting a hardware router.
September 15, 2006 3:44:09 PM

Check for possible Windows Updates that may have been installed.
Disable firewalls or unblock select access.
You may want to re-run the ICS wizard.

I saw your post on getting a new modem if you had a router.. but why can't you get a router, hook the modem in the router, run lines from the router to all the computers and do away with the ICS? Just curious to know the reason...
September 15, 2006 4:29:24 PM

if you can use ics you can use a router, it would really be the best option in the long run because your no longer relying on the server computer to up all the time and you'll notice better internet performance all the way around on each computer. go spend 20 bucks and save yourself alot of time trying to troubleshoot this, if your really against spending the 20 bucks to get a router and have check everything just redo ics all together.
!