System Restore will not restore.

About six weeks ago I felt that my system was bogging down and running more
slowly than I thought it should. I accessed System Restore, and received the
message "Unsuccessful restoration, use previous day." I repeated each
preceding day's restore point with no success. Then I did nothing. After a
week everything seemed to be acting fine--until today--when it slowed down
again, almost to a stop, after I accessed several files, and then it locked
up. Shutdown was the only option. After restarting I used System Restore
and it successfully brought everything back to normal from the previous day's
restore point. --- What has been happening here and what can I do to keep
System Restore working as it should? --- Thanks for the help.
--
Ed Avery
12 answers Last reply

    Hi Ed

    SR could have had some corrupt files in it when you tried to restore
    originally. The subsequent success at using SR would suggest that the SR
    checkpoints with the corrupt files in had been deleted. Is everything
    working OK now still?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Obadoty" <Obadoty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > About six weeks ago I felt that my system was bogging down and running
    > more
    > slowly than I thought it should. I accessed System Restore, and received
    > the
    > message "Unsuccessful restoration, use previous day." I repeated each
    > preceding day's restore point with no success. Then I did nothing. After
    > week everything seemed to be acting fine--until today--when it slowed down
    > again, almost to a stop, after I accessed several files, and then it
    > locked
    > up. Shutdown was the only option. After restarting I used System Restore
    > and it successfully brought everything back to normal from the previous
    > day's
    > restore point. --- What has been happening here and what can I do to keep
    > System Restore working as it should? --- Thanks for the help.
    > --
    > Ed Avery

    Hi Will-Thanks for your input and quick response. Everthing seems to be
    working OK now. Ed

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi Ed
    >
    > SR could have had some corrupt files in it when you tried to restore
    > originally. The subsequent success at using SR would suggest that the SR
    > checkpoints with the corrupt files in had been deleted. Is everything
    > working OK now still?
    >
    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Obadoty" <Obadoty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > About six weeks ago I felt that my system was bogging down and running
    > > more
    > > slowly than I thought it should. I accessed System Restore, and received
    > > the
    > > message "Unsuccessful restoration, use previous day." I repeated each
    > > preceding day's restore point with no success. Then I did nothing. After
    > > week everything seemed to be acting fine--until today--when it slowed down
    > > again, almost to a stop, after I accessed several files, and then it
    > > locked
    > > up. Shutdown was the only option. After restarting I used System Restore
    > > and it successfully brought everything back to normal from the previous
    > > day's
    > > restore point. --- What has been happening here and what can I do to keep
    > > System Restore working as it should? --- Thanks for the help.
    > > --
    > > Ed Avery

    The options I would try is -
    1. Do a complete system cleanup - go to Windows Explorer, right click on
    your main-drive, Properties/Disk Cleanup/OK
    2. While in Windows Explorer, go to Documents and Settings, expand 'your
    user-name' in the tree, / Local settings & delete everything in both the
    Temp & Temp Internet files folders
    3. Install both Adaware & Sybot to finish cleaning your system out -
    they're both safe to use.)
    4. Check if that improves your system.
    5. If everything now seems to be working fine, right click on My Computer
    (on the Desktop), Properties, select the System Restore tab, check the 'Turn
    off System Restore" box, reboot, go back & uncheck that box.

    --

    johnf

    > About six weeks ago I felt that my system was bogging down and running
    > more slowly than I thought it should. I accessed System Restore, and
    > received the message "Unsuccessful restoration, use previous day." I
    > repeated each preceding day's restore point with no success. Then I
    > did nothing. After a week everything seemed to be acting fine--until
    > today--when it slowed down again, almost to a stop, after I accessed
    > several files, and then it locked up. Shutdown was the only option.
    > After restarting I used System Restore and it successfully brought
    > everything back to normal from the previous day's restore point. ---
    > What has been happening here and what can I do to keep System Restore
    > working as it should? --- Thanks for the help. --
    > Ed Avery

    John- I do use Spybot. Will Adaware run compatibly with Norton Personal
    Firewall? Thanks for your detailed reply to my SR question. Ed

    "johnf" wrote:

    > The options I would try is -
    > 1. Do a complete system cleanup - go to Windows Explorer, right click on
    > your main-drive, Properties/Disk Cleanup/OK
    > 2. While in Windows Explorer, go to Documents and Settings, expand 'your
    > user-name' in the tree, / Local settings & delete everything in both the
    > Temp & Temp Internet files folders
    > 3. Install both Adaware & Sybot to finish cleaning your system out -
    > they're both safe to use.)
    > 4. Check if that improves your system.
    > 5. If everything now seems to be working fine, right click on My Computer
    > (on the Desktop), Properties, select the System Restore tab, check the 'Turn
    > off System Restore" box, reboot, go back & uncheck that box.
    >
    > --
    >
    > johnf
    >
    > > About six weeks ago I felt that my system was bogging down and running
    > > more slowly than I thought it should. I accessed System Restore, and
    > > received the message "Unsuccessful restoration, use previous day." I
    > > repeated each preceding day's restore point with no success. Then I
    > > did nothing. After a week everything seemed to be acting fine--until
    > > today--when it slowed down again, almost to a stop, after I accessed
    > > several files, and then it locked up. Shutdown was the only option.
    > > After restarting I used System Restore and it successfully brought
    > > everything back to normal from the previous day's restore point. ---
    > > What has been happening here and what can I do to keep System Restore
    > > working as it should? --- Thanks for the help. --
    > > Ed Avery

    Adaware AFAIK, will run with anything installed.

    Interesting that you're running Norton Personal Firewall, there've been so
    many "all-invasive" complaints about their latest products recently.
    I'd tend to completely uninstall it & also remove ANY traces from the
    Registry temporarily. then see if you note any change.
    After all, you do have XP's firewall as a backup.
    I dumped them about 4 years ago, as their one at the time (Gold, I think it
    was) started off fine, but after a few months my system slowed down
    completely -
    e.g., everything started to slow down, one thing for example I discovered
    was that if you opened a Word doc., it would completely vet it first before
    it would allow it to open, usually about 20-30 secs., then do the same when
    you tried to close it.
    Also, you could 'disable' it, but parts of it still kept running in the
    background!

    --

    johnf

    > John- I do use Spybot. Will Adaware run compatibly with Norton Personal
    > Firewall? Thanks for your detailed reply to my SR question. Ed
    >
    > "johnf" wrote:
    >
    >> The options I would try is -
    >> 1. Do a complete system cleanup - go to Windows Explorer, right click
    >> on your main-drive, Properties/Disk Cleanup/OK
    >> 2. While in Windows Explorer, go to Documents and Settings, expand
    >> 'your user-name' in the tree, / Local settings & delete everything in
    >> both the Temp & Temp Internet files folders
    >> 3. Install both Adaware & Sybot to finish cleaning your system out -
    >> they're both safe to use.)
    >> 4. Check if that improves your system.
    >> 5. If everything now seems to be working fine, right click on My
    >> Computer (on the Desktop), Properties, select the System Restore tab,
    >> check the 'Turn off System Restore" box, reboot, go back & uncheck
    >> that box.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> johnf
    >>
    >> > About six weeks ago I felt that my system was bogging down and
    >> > running more slowly than I thought it should. I accessed System
    >> > Restore, and received the message "Unsuccessful restoration, use
    >> > previous day." I repeated each preceding day's restore point with
    >> > no success. Then I did nothing. After a week everything seemed to
    >> > be acting fine--until today--when it slowed down again, almost to a
    >> > stop, after I accessed several files, and then it locked up.
    >> > Shutdown was the only option. After restarting I used System Restore
    >> > and it successfully brought everything back to normal from the
    >> > previous day's restore point. --- What has been happening here and
    >> > what can I do to keep System Restore working as it should? ---
    >> > Thanks for the help. --
    >> > Ed Avery

    However, be aware that the Windows firewall only monitors incoming, not
    outgoing traffic. NIS and Zone Alarm do both.

    "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
    > Adaware AFAIK, will run with anything installed.
    >

    > Interesting that you're running Norton Personal Firewall, there've been so
    > many "all-invasive" complaints about their latest products recently.
    > I'd tend to completely uninstall it & also remove ANY traces from the
    > Registry temporarily. then see if you note any change.
    > After all, you do have XP's firewall as a backup.
    > I dumped them about 4 years ago, as their one at the time (Gold, I think
    > it was) started off fine, but after a few months my system slowed down
    > completely -
    > e.g., everything started to slow down, one thing for example I discovered
    > was that if you opened a Word doc., it would completely vet it first
    > before it would allow it to open, usually about 20-30 secs., then do the
    > same when you tried to close it.
    > Also, you could 'disable' it, but parts of it still kept running in the
    > background!
    >
    > --
    >
    > johnf
    >
    >> John- I do use Spybot. Will Adaware run compatibly with Norton Personal
    >> Firewall? Thanks for your detailed reply to my SR question. Ed
    >>
    >> "johnf" wrote:
    >>
    >>> The options I would try is -
    >>> 1. Do a complete system cleanup - go to Windows Explorer, right click
    >>> on your main-drive, Properties/Disk Cleanup/OK
    >>> 2. While in Windows Explorer, go to Documents and Settings, expand
    >>> 'your user-name' in the tree, / Local settings & delete everything in
    >>> both the Temp & Temp Internet files folders
    >>> 3. Install both Adaware & Sybot to finish cleaning your system out -
    >>> they're both safe to use.)
    >>> 4. Check if that improves your system.
    >>> 5. If everything now seems to be working fine, right click on My
    >>> Computer (on the Desktop), Properties, select the System Restore tab,
    >>> check the 'Turn off System Restore" box, reboot, go back & uncheck
    >>> that box.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> johnf

    Sorry, forgot to mention that.
    But it was only supposed to be temporary to see if made any improvement over
    several days - besides, I did say 'clean your whole system first', so there
    should be nothing going out for a couple of days anyway :-)

    --

    johnf

    > However, be aware that the Windows firewall only monitors incoming, not
    > outgoing traffic. NIS and Zone Alarm do both.

    > "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
    >> Adaware AFAIK, will run with anything installed.
    >>

    >> Interesting that you're running Norton Personal Firewall, there've
    >> been so many "all-invasive" complaints about their latest products
    >> recently. I'd tend to completely uninstall it & also remove ANY traces
    >> from the
    >> Registry temporarily. then see if you note any change.
    >> After all, you do have XP's firewall as a backup.
    >> I dumped them about 4 years ago, as their one at the time (Gold, I
    >> think it was) started off fine, but after a few months my system
    >> slowed down completely -
    >> e.g., everything started to slow down, one thing for example I
    >> discovered was that if you opened a Word doc., it would completely vet
    >> it first before it would allow it to open, usually about 20-30 secs.,
    >> then do the same when you tried to close it.
    >> Also, you could 'disable' it, but parts of it still kept running in the
    >> background!
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> johnf
    >>
    >>> John- I do use Spybot. Will Adaware run compatibly with Norton
    >>> Personal Firewall? Thanks for your detailed reply to my SR question.
    >>> Ed

    Right.

    > Sorry, forgot to mention that.
    > But it was only supposed to be temporary to see if made any improvement
    > over several days - besides, I did say 'clean your whole system first', so
    > there should be nothing going out for a couple of days anyway :-)
    >

    > --
    >
    > johnf
    >
    >> However, be aware that the Windows firewall only monitors incoming, not
    >> outgoing traffic. NIS and Zone Alarm do both.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
    >>> Adaware AFAIK, will run with anything installed.
    >>>

    >>> Interesting that you're running Norton Personal Firewall, there've
    >>> been so many "all-invasive" complaints about their latest products
    >>> recently. I'd tend to completely uninstall it & also remove ANY traces
    >>> from the
    >>> Registry temporarily. then see if you note any change.
    >>> After all, you do have XP's firewall as a backup.
    >>> I dumped them about 4 years ago, as their one at the time (Gold, I
    >>> think it was) started off fine, but after a few months my system
    >>> slowed down completely -
    >>> e.g., everything started to slow down, one thing for example I
    >>> discovered was that if you opened a Word doc., it would completely vet
    >>> it first before it would allow it to open, usually about 20-30 secs.,
    >>> then do the same when you tried to close it.
    >>> Also, you could 'disable' it, but parts of it still kept running in the
    >>> background!
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> johnf

    Can someone tell me what I did that now inhibits file dragging in
    explorer, and how to remedy..??

    Please the New Post button and start a new thread.

    <deltasixxxxeleven@verizon.net> wrote in message

    > Can someone tell me what I did that now inhibits file dragging in
    > explorer, and how to remedy..??

    Can someone tell me what I did that now inhibits file dragging in
    explorer, and how to remedy..??

    Please start a new post with New Post and not Reply Group.

    <deltasixxeleven@verizon.net> wrote in message

    > Can someone tell me what I did that now inhibits file dragging in
    > explorer, and how to remedy..??

Microsoft System Restore Windows XP