Customizing "Recent Documents"

February 18, 2005 8:29:03 PM

How can I "hold" the recent documents list in place once I click on it so I
can delete more than one file at a time? The list automatically disappears
as soon as I delete one file. Is there a way to use Shift or Control to
select a few files on the list for deleting from "Recent"? The only way I
know to do this is to clear the entire list.
Thanks.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 12:27:03 AM

Hi Jace,

Delete the unwanted ones from this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Recent

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jace" <Jace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I "hold" the recent documents list in place once I click on it so
> can delete more than one file at a time? The list automatically
> disappears
> as soon as I delete one file. Is there a way to use Shift or Control to
> select a few files on the list for deleting from "Recent"? The only way I
> know to do this is to clear the entire list.
> Thanks.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 12:27:04 AM

right click the start button>properties>then, if you have 'Start Menu'
selected hit 'Customize>advance, then select Clear List..this works
basically the same if you have Classic Start menu as your Start Menu theme.

> Hi Jace,
>
> Delete the unwanted ones from this folder:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Recent
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Jace" <Jace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How can I "hold" the recent documents list in place once I click on it
so
> > can delete more than one file at a time? The list automatically
> > disappears
> > as soon as I delete one file. Is there a way to use Shift or Control to
> > select a few files on the list for deleting from "Recent"? The only way
> > know to do this is to clear the entire list.
> > Thanks.

February 19, 2005 5:18:02 AM

Jace wrote:
> How can I "hold" the recent documents list in place once I click on it so I
> can delete more than one file at a time? The list automatically disappears
> as soon as I delete one file. Is there a way to use Shift or Control to
> select a few files on the list for deleting from "Recent"? The only way I
> know to do this is to clear the entire list.
> Thanks.

Why not use the Explorer? Right click on the start button and click
explore. Navigate to the recent documents folder probably
Documents and Settings/YourUsername/recent documents.
Pick the one you want to delete. Holding down the Ctrl key
will allow you the pick various files, highlighting a file
and holding down the shift key and selecting another file will allow you
to select a range of files. Right click and delete. It will delete all
the file you have selected.

gls858
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 11:31:45 AM

That will clear the entire list, which Jace don't want.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
news:o CdWg2iFFHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> right click the start button>properties>then, if you have 'Start Menu'
> selected hit 'Customize>advance, then select Clear List..this works
> basically the same if you have Classic Start menu as your Start Menu
> theme.

>> Hi Jace,
>>
>> Delete the unwanted ones from this folder:
>>
>> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Recent
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Jace" <Jace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > How can I "hold" the recent documents list in place once I click on it
> so
>> > can delete more than one file at a time? The list automatically
>> > disappears
>> > as soon as I delete one file. Is there a way to use Shift or Control
>> > select a few files on the list for deleting from "Recent"? The only
>> > way
>> > know to do this is to clear the entire list.
>> > Thanks.

Anonymous
February 19, 2005 11:55:51 AM

Sheesh, I once again forgot to put my "Read the entire question' glasses on.
Sorry, Jace.
> That will clear the entire list, which Jace don't want.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:o CdWg2iFFHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > right click the start button>properties>then, if you have 'Start Menu'
> > selected hit 'Customize>advance, then select Clear List..this works
> > basically the same if you have Classic Start menu as your Start Menu
> > theme.
> >
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
> >> Hi Jace,
> >>
> >> Delete the unwanted ones from this folder:
> >>
> >> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Recent
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "Jace" <Jace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > so

Anonymous
February 19, 2005 8:45:02 PM

Perfect! Thank you. - Jace

"gls858" wrote:

> Jace wrote:
> > How can I "hold" the recent documents list in place once I click on it so I
> > can delete more than one file at a time? The list automatically disappears
> > as soon as I delete one file. Is there a way to use Shift or Control to
> > select a few files on the list for deleting from "Recent"? The only way I
> > know to do this is to clear the entire list.
> > Thanks.
>
> Why not use the Explorer? Right click on the start button and click
> explore. Navigate to the recent documents folder probably
> Documents and Settings/YourUsername/recent documents.
> Pick the one you want to delete. Holding down the Ctrl key
> will allow you the pick various files, highlighting a file
> and holding down the shift key and selecting another file will allow you
> to select a range of files. Right click and delete. It will delete all
> the file you have selected.
>
> gls858

Anonymous
February 19, 2005 8:45:04 PM

Yes! Will do. Many thanks. -Jace

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Jace,
>
> Delete the unwanted ones from this folder:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Recent
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Jace" <Jace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How can I "hold" the recent documents list in place once I click on it so
> > can delete more than one file at a time? The list automatically
> > disappears
> > as soon as I delete one file. Is there a way to use Shift or Control to
> > select a few files on the list for deleting from "Recent"? The only way I
> > know to do this is to clear the entire list.
> > Thanks.

Anonymous
February 19, 2005 8:47:03 PM

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES. YOU GUYS ARE GREAT. MANY THANKS! -JACE

"Jace" wrote:

> How can I "hold" the recent documents list in place once I click on it so I
> can delete more than one file at a time? The list automatically disappears
> as soon as I delete one file. Is there a way to use Shift or Control to
> select a few files on the list for deleting from "Recent"? The only way I
> know to do this is to clear the entire list.
> Thanks.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 8:57:02 PM

Yes! Will do. Many thanks. -Jace

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Jace,
>
> Delete the unwanted ones from this folder:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Recent
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Jace" <Jace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How can I "hold" the recent documents list in place once I click on it so
> > can delete more than one file at a time? The list automatically
> > disappears
> > as soon as I delete one file. Is there a way to use Shift or Control to
> > select a few files on the list for deleting from "Recent"? The only way I
> > know to do this is to clear the entire list.
> > Thanks.

Anonymous
February 19, 2005 8:59:02 PM

That's OK, I've done the same. Thanx!! Jace

"lvee" wrote:

> Sheesh, I once again forgot to put my "Read the entire question' glasses on.
> Sorry, Jace.
> > That will clear the entire list, which Jace don't want.
> >
> > --
> > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> > Windows XP Shell/User
> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >

> > "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
> > news:o CdWg2iFFHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > > right click the start button>properties>then, if you have 'Start Menu'
> > > selected hit 'Customize>advance, then select Clear List..this works
> > > basically the same if you have Classic Start menu as your Start Menu
> > > theme.
> > >
> > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

> it
> > > so

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 6:36:12 PM

Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> That will clear the entire list, which Jace don't want.

Isn't there a way to just not have the recent documents show up when
going to "start", "documents"? Thanks in advance. Mike
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 1:47:05 PM

Show or hide the "My recent documents" from XP Start menu:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/recentdocs.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"ml" <ml@default.com> wrote in message
news:o vQ7Uy5FFHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
>> That will clear the entire list, which Jace don't want.
>>

> Isn't there a way to just not have the recent documents show up when going
> to "start", "documents"? Thanks in advance. Mike
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 6:42:12 PM

Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> Show or hide the "My recent documents" from XP Start menu:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/recentdocs.htm

Doesn't work using the classic start menu which I use. I did change to
the xp start menu, found the "list documents" check box and it was not
checked. I still get a list of recent documents in classic view. Do I
ned to do a registry change? Mike
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:21:17 AM

For the Classic Start Menu, set NoRecentDocsMenu to 1 in this key:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

NoRecentDocsMenu value may not exist by default. If so, create a new value
of type REG_DWORD and set it's data to 1

--

> Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
>> Show or hide the "My recent documents" from XP Start menu:
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/recentdocs.htm
>>

> Doesn't work using the classic start menu which I use. I did change to the
> xp start menu, found the "list documents" check box and it was not
> checked. I still get a list of recent documents in classic view. Do I ned
> to do a registry change? Mike
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:21:18 AM

Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> For the Classic Start Menu, set NoRecentDocsMenu to 1 in this key:
>
> HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
>
> NoRecentDocsMenu value may not exist by default. If so, create a new
> value of type REG_DWORD and set it's data to 1

Thanks, Mike
!