Customizing "Recent Documents"

How can I "hold" the recent documents list in place once I click on it so I
can delete more than one file at a time? The list automatically disappears
as soon as I delete one file. Is there a way to use Shift or Control to
select a few files on the list for deleting from "Recent"? The only way I
know to do this is to clear the entire list.
Thanks.
15 answers Last reply
More about customizing recent documents

    Hi Jace,

    Delete the unwanted ones from this folder:

    C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Recent

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Jace" <Jace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How can I "hold" the recent documents list in place once I click on it so
    > can delete more than one file at a time? The list automatically
    > disappears
    > as soon as I delete one file. Is there a way to use Shift or Control to
    > select a few files on the list for deleting from "Recent"? The only way I
    > know to do this is to clear the entire list.
    > Thanks.

    right click the start button>properties>then, if you have 'Start Menu'
    selected hit 'Customize>advance, then select Clear List..this works
    basically the same if you have Classic Start menu as your Start Menu theme.

    Jace wrote:
    > How can I "hold" the recent documents list in place once I click on it so I
    > can delete more than one file at a time? The list automatically disappears
    > as soon as I delete one file. Is there a way to use Shift or Control to
    > select a few files on the list for deleting from "Recent"? The only way I
    > know to do this is to clear the entire list.
    > Thanks.

    Why not use the Explorer? Right click on the start button and click
    explore. Navigate to the recent documents folder probably
    Documents and Settings/YourUsername/recent documents.
    Pick the one you want to delete. Holding down the Ctrl key
    will allow you the pick various files, highlighting a file
    and holding down the shift key and selecting another file will allow you
    to select a range of files. Right click and delete. It will delete all
    the file you have selected.

    gls858

    That will clear the entire list, which Jace don't want.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    > right click the start button>properties>then, if you have 'Start Menu'
    > selected hit 'Customize>advance, then select Clear List..this works
    > basically the same if you have Classic Start menu as your Start Menu
    > theme.

    >> Hi Jace,
    >>
    >> Delete the unwanted ones from this folder:
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Recent
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Jace" <Jace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > How can I "hold" the recent documents list in place once I click on it
    > so
    >> > can delete more than one file at a time? The list automatically
    >> > disappears
    >> > as soon as I delete one file. Is there a way to use Shift or Control
    >> > select a few files on the list for deleting from "Recent"? The only
    >> > way
    >> > know to do this is to clear the entire list.
    >> > Thanks.

    Sheesh, I once again forgot to put my "Read the entire question' glasses on.
    Sorry, Jace.
    > That will clear the entire list, which Jace don't want.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "lvee" <notmesothere@msn.com> wrote in message
    > > right click the start button>properties>then, if you have 'Start Menu'
    > > selected hit 'Customize>advance, then select Clear List..this works
    > > basically the same if you have Classic Start menu as your Start Menu
    > > theme.
    > >
    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > >> Hi Jace,
    > >>
    > >> Delete the unwanted ones from this folder:
    > >>
    > >> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Recent
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "Jace" <Jace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > so

    Perfect! Thank you. - Jace

    "gls858" wrote:

    > Jace wrote:
    > > How can I "hold" the recent documents list in place once I click on it so I
    > > can delete more than one file at a time? The list automatically disappears
    > > as soon as I delete one file. Is there a way to use Shift or Control to
    > > select a few files on the list for deleting from "Recent"? The only way I
    > > know to do this is to clear the entire list.
    > > Thanks.
    >
    > Why not use the Explorer? Right click on the start button and click
    > explore. Navigate to the recent documents folder probably
    > Documents and Settings/YourUsername/recent documents.
    > Pick the one you want to delete. Holding down the Ctrl key
    > will allow you the pick various files, highlighting a file
    > and holding down the shift key and selecting another file will allow you
    > to select a range of files. Right click and delete. It will delete all
    > the file you have selected.
    >
    > gls858

    Yes! Will do. Many thanks. -Jace

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi Jace,
    >
    > Delete the unwanted ones from this folder:
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Recent
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Jace" <Jace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > How can I "hold" the recent documents list in place once I click on it so
    > > can delete more than one file at a time? The list automatically
    > > disappears
    > > as soon as I delete one file. Is there a way to use Shift or Control to
    > > select a few files on the list for deleting from "Recent"? The only way I
    > > know to do this is to clear the entire list.
    > > Thanks.

    THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES. YOU GUYS ARE GREAT. MANY THANKS! -JACE

    "Jace" wrote:

    > How can I "hold" the recent documents list in place once I click on it so I
    > can delete more than one file at a time? The list automatically disappears
    > as soon as I delete one file. Is there a way to use Shift or Control to
    > select a few files on the list for deleting from "Recent"? The only way I
    > know to do this is to clear the entire list.
    > Thanks.

    Yes! Will do. Many thanks. -Jace

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi Jace,
    >
    > Delete the unwanted ones from this folder:
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Recent
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Jace" <Jace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > How can I "hold" the recent documents list in place once I click on it so
    > > can delete more than one file at a time? The list automatically
    > > disappears
    > > as soon as I delete one file. Is there a way to use Shift or Control to
    > > select a few files on the list for deleting from "Recent"? The only way I
    > > know to do this is to clear the entire list.
    > > Thanks.

    That's OK, I've done the same. Thanx!! Jace

    Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
    > That will clear the entire list, which Jace don't want.

    Isn't there a way to just not have the recent documents show up when
    going to "start", "documents"? Thanks in advance. Mike

    Show or hide the "My recent documents" from XP Start menu:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/recentdocs.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
    > Show or hide the "My recent documents" from XP Start menu:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/recentdocs.htm

    Doesn't work using the classic start menu which I use. I did change to
    the xp start menu, found the "list documents" check box and it was not
    checked. I still get a list of recent documents in classic view. Do I
    ned to do a registry change? Mike

    For the Classic Start Menu, set NoRecentDocsMenu to 1 in this key:

    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    NoRecentDocsMenu value may not exist by default. If so, create a new value
    of type REG_DWORD and set it's data to 1

    --

    Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
    > For the Classic Start Menu, set NoRecentDocsMenu to 1 in this key:
    >
    > HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    >
    > NoRecentDocsMenu value may not exist by default. If so, create a new
    > value of type REG_DWORD and set it's data to 1

    Thanks, Mike

Microsoft Windows XP