Make proxy settings per-machine (rather than per user)

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 2, 2005 8:34:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

I see the setting under the computer configuration:

"Make proxy settings per-machine (rather than per user)"

It says:

Applies proxy settings to all users of the same computer.

If you enable this policy, users cannot set user-specific proxy settings.
They must use the zones created for all users of the computer.

If you disable this policy or do not configure it, users of the same
computer can establish their own proxy settings.

This policy is intended to ensure that proxy settings apply uniformly to the
same computer and do not vary from user to user.

What I'm interested in is that second paragraph:

If you enable this policy, users cannot set user-specific proxy settings.
They must use the zones created for all users of the computer.

Where do you specify this information (the proxy server info)?
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 5:30:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

There are some machine specific settings for Internet Explorer. For instance
open regedit and look under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\current version\internet
settings. Then look under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Microsoft\Windows\current version\internet
settings. Normally the user setings apply. If you use Group Policy to
enforce proxy settings for the machine then the machine settings will apply.
Unless you have created entries for proxy settings for machine key you will
not see any there but you can add them. The easiest way would be to
configure proxy settings as you want for a user and logon as that user and
compare the machine/user keys and add the keys you need to machine. Then the
Group Policy setting you describe will enforce machine settings. If you want
to do such I would also configure Group Policy to block users from accessing
proxy settings. To configure the registry for local machine you would have
to use a Group Policy startup script or possibly the IEAK IE administration
kit when you roll out your installations. There may be other ways but those
two are the ones I can think of offhand. --- Steve

"Tbird2340" <tbird2340(AT)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I see the setting under the computer configuration:
>
> "Make proxy settings per-machine (rather than per user)"
>
> It says:
>
> Applies proxy settings to all users of the same computer.
>
> If you enable this policy, users cannot set user-specific proxy settings.
> They must use the zones created for all users of the computer.
>
> If you disable this policy or do not configure it, users of the same
> computer can establish their own proxy settings.
>
> This policy is intended to ensure that proxy settings apply uniformly to
> the same computer and do not vary from user to user.
>
> What I'm interested in is that second paragraph:
>
> If you enable this policy, users cannot set user-specific proxy settings.
> They must use the zones created for all users of the computer.
>
> Where do you specify this information (the proxy server info)?

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 12:11:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

Steven, first thanks very much for the reply.. I did what you said and
logged into a PC with that policy applied, created Proxy settings, and then
seen they were created in the HKLM... Now, to apply these settings via GPO I
could just export that key and keep only the proxy settings like this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings]
"ProxyEnable"=dword:00000001
"MigrateProxy"=dword:00000001
"ProxyServer"="PROXY-01:8080"

Save that as a reg file and then just create a bat file that has the
following?

regedit /s \\servername\sharename\proxyregA.reg

Is that correct?

Thanks
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 4:22:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

I think that might work. I always try something like that out on a test
computer or two first to make sure that it works the way I expect. Keep in
mind that to modify the HKLM you will want to use a Group Policy computer
startup script as more then likely a logon script will fail unless the user
logging on is a local administrator. --- Steve

news:o $QasVDaFHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

!