Make proxy settings per-machine (rather than per user)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

I see the setting under the computer configuration:

"Make proxy settings per-machine (rather than per user)"

It says:

Applies proxy settings to all users of the same computer.

If you enable this policy, users cannot set user-specific proxy settings.
They must use the zones created for all users of the computer.

If you disable this policy or do not configure it, users of the same
computer can establish their own proxy settings.

This policy is intended to ensure that proxy settings apply uniformly to the
same computer and do not vary from user to user.

What I'm interested in is that second paragraph:

If you enable this policy, users cannot set user-specific proxy settings.
They must use the zones created for all users of the computer.

Where do you specify this information (the proxy server info)?
3 answers Last reply
More about make proxy settings machine rather user
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

    There are some machine specific settings for Internet Explorer. For instance
    open regedit and look under
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\Microsoft\Windows\current version\internet
    settings. Then look under
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Microsoft\Windows\current version\internet
    settings. Normally the user setings apply. If you use Group Policy to
    enforce proxy settings for the machine then the machine settings will apply.
    Unless you have created entries for proxy settings for machine key you will
    not see any there but you can add them. The easiest way would be to
    configure proxy settings as you want for a user and logon as that user and
    compare the machine/user keys and add the keys you need to machine. Then the
    Group Policy setting you describe will enforce machine settings. If you want
    to do such I would also configure Group Policy to block users from accessing
    proxy settings. To configure the registry for local machine you would have
    to use a Group Policy startup script or possibly the IEAK IE administration
    kit when you roll out your installations. There may be other ways but those
    two are the ones I can think of offhand. --- Steve

    "Tbird2340" <tbird2340(AT)hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I see the setting under the computer configuration:
    >
    > "Make proxy settings per-machine (rather than per user)"
    >
    > It says:
    >
    > Applies proxy settings to all users of the same computer.
    >
    > If you enable this policy, users cannot set user-specific proxy settings.
    > They must use the zones created for all users of the computer.
    >
    > If you disable this policy or do not configure it, users of the same
    > computer can establish their own proxy settings.
    >
    > This policy is intended to ensure that proxy settings apply uniformly to
    > the same computer and do not vary from user to user.
    >
    > What I'm interested in is that second paragraph:
    >
    > If you enable this policy, users cannot set user-specific proxy settings.
    > They must use the zones created for all users of the computer.
    >
    > Where do you specify this information (the proxy server info)?

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

    Steven, first thanks very much for the reply.. I did what you said and
    logged into a PC with that policy applied, created Proxy settings, and then
    seen they were created in the HKLM... Now, to apply these settings via GPO I
    could just export that key and keep only the proxy settings like this:

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings]
    "ProxyEnable"=dword:00000001
    "MigrateProxy"=dword:00000001
    "ProxyServer"="PROXY-01:8080"

    Save that as a reg file and then just create a bat file that has the
    following?

    regedit /s \\servername\sharename\proxyregA.reg

    Is that correct?

    Thanks
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

    I think that might work. I always try something like that out on a test
    computer or two first to make sure that it works the way I expect. Keep in
    mind that to modify the HKLM you will want to use a Group Policy computer
    startup script as more then likely a logon script will fail unless the user
    logging on is a local administrator. --- Steve

    > Steven, first thanks very much for the reply.. I did what you said and
    > logged into a PC with that policy applied, created Proxy settings, and
    > then seen they were created in the HKLM... Now, to apply these settings
    > via GPO I could just export that key and keep only the proxy settings like
    > this:
    >
    > Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    >
    > [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    > Settings]
    > "ProxyEnable"=dword:00000001
    > "MigrateProxy"=dword:00000001
    > "ProxyServer"="PROXY-01:8080"
    >
    > Save that as a reg file and then just create a bat file that has the
    > following?
    >
    > regedit /s \\servername\sharename\proxyregA.reg
    >
    > Is that correct?
    >
    > Thanks

Policy Computers Proxy Microsoft Windows