AP or Bridge??

zetsuei

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
So I need some advice. Here is my current setup and problem: I have a wireless router (Linksys WRT54G) in my living room. My computer is in my bedroom, connected to the router with a USB wireless adapter. The adapter is a piece of crap, so I need something new.

What is the best choice? I'm thinking something besides a USB adapter. I'm not really sure what the difference betweeen an access point and bridge is...do they both work in this situation? Or can I use another router? They are pretty cheap compared to APs and bridges.

Thanks! :)

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Most AP can be configured to operate as a clinet AP, which is what you want. Will connect through your nic port. But are not very portable.

You could also upgrade the low 2dbi antennas on the WRT to 5+ dbi. This is the most like cause of your problem. Being in the living room, it is proably concealed, so the wife doesn't see it. Linksys sells a 7dbi replacement antennas. You may also re-consider the location of your router.

Repeter is used to tie 2 networks together.

zetsuei

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Most AP can be configured to operate as a clinet AP, which is what you want. Will connect through your nic port. But are not very portable.

You could also upgrade the low 2dbi antennas on the WRT to 5+ dbi. This is the most like cause of your problem. Being in the living room, it is proably concealed, so the wife doesn't see it. Linksys sells a 7dbi replacement antennas. You may also re-consider the location of your router.

Repeter is used to tie 2 networks together.

Range is not the issue. I use wireless because I don't want to run a cord from the living room to the bedroom. The wireless adapter is pretty cheap and starting to fail, so I was looking for other options instead of another usb adapter.

Also, I can't relocate the router since there is no cable jack in the bedroom for the modem.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
The Linksys WPA54G, USR, Dlink and Netgear all have AP that will work. Just make sure they have the Highgain Antennas, Not all do. And some of the new model antennas are not replaceable, cutting cost again.

Even the Game Adpaters will work.