My Pictures with FTP Address for Web Site?

Oscar

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2003

Hi-

How may I receive a http:// address for my images, which are located in
Windows XP My Documents. Do I need a FTP server or what? My objective is to
place them onto my Web site. And yet, most companies charge a fee.

I use to subscribe to EarthLink that offer a WebSite to there customers. My
current ISP does not.

Thanks for any assistance you may be able to give me with my research.

Sincerely,

Walt

rush

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:52:15 -0500, Oscar wrote:

> Hi-
>
> How may I receive a http:// address for my images, which are located in
> Windows XP My Documents. Do I need a FTP server or what? My objective is
> to place them onto my Web site. And yet, most companies charge a fee.
>
> I use to subscribe to EarthLink that offer a WebSite to there customers.
> My current ISP does not.
>
> Thanks for any assistance you may be able to give me with my research.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Walt

There are a bunch of ways to do it.

You can set up an FTP using Serv-U FTP or some similar FTP server

You can set up a web interface with Apache on your system.
-On top of that you could use AutoIndex or Coppermine (PHP scripts)to
show the pictures in a nice format.

NOTE: Be careful running servers on you own computer. Some ISP's don't
take to kindly to that and can be a TOS violation.

You can search Google and look for free web hosting for your pictures

or if you do not require a bunch of space (say over 100 megs) and they are
not pornographic, I can set something up for you, no charge. Email me if
you are interested.

Rush
http://www.bythedrop.com

Hi Walt,

If you have WinXP Pro, you can set up a server by installing IIS. If you
have a static IP for a connection, then you can just use a numerical IP. If
it's dynamic (more common), then you can use something like dns2go to point
to it.

If you have WinXP Home, you will need either hosting services where you
upload your images to a site you create. Or you can use something like
Apache server.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/